The Student Room Group

The IB&C Pre-University Thread for School and A Level Pupils

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by sarah185
well it already happened in November. im not sure if they are doing any more of them but it was called the Young Investment Banker Programme. Was at UCL. The company running it was called InvestIN Education. cant remember the website off the top of my head but maybe search for young investment banker programme in google!

I found it!
http://www.investineducation.co.uk/index.php/the-young-investment-banker-programme for anyone else interested.

Would you say its worth the £95?
Reply 181
Yup that's the one! well cant speak for everyone but I thought it was well worth it. Couple of my friends going on the February one now
Good idea.

My advice: DO A LEVEL MATHS. My biggest regret in life was not doing maths at A Level. Much more useful/important than an A Level in Business/Economics.
Original post by jamesubrown
Good idea.

My advice: DO A LEVEL MATHS. My biggest regret in life was not doing maths at A Level. Much more useful/important than an A Level in Business/Economics.

Second this. It will make life easier for you down the road.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Are there any programmes or days like the J.P.Morgan School's Programme?
Are there any programmes or days like the J.P.Morgan School's Programme?

RBS, Nomura, MS, HSBC and some of the Big 4 all run something.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by will2348
RBS, Nomura, MS, HSBC and some of the Big 4 all run something.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you Sir.How do you rank HSBC?
Thank you Sir.How do you rank HSBC?

HSBC is okay, not amazing but strong in emerging markets.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 188
Original post by loggins
Lately there have been a lot of threads popping up from pupils interested in a career in Banking/Consultancy.

I have discussed it with the moderators and they've agreed that it would be a good idea to 'sticky' a thread for school pupils to ask their questions on topics like: appropriate A Levels, finding work experience and placements pre-university, and writing cover letters/CVs. With any luck this will stop the forum becoming clogged with identical threads, and act as a resource for those of you considering careers in Investment Banking or Consultancy, who might not know where to start.

The "Intro to IB&C" is a good place to begin: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=259237, but if you can't find what you're looking for by using the search function, please post in here and hopefully somebody with some experience will be able to help you out.

A Level Choices

Some points about A Levels as made by Paddy:

Other useful pages (will add as I get more):

http://careers.jpmorgan.com/student/jpmorgan/careers/europe/preintern/schools

CV Tips from PoZ:

Writing a Cover Letter

This is a pretty useful article from Mergers and Inquisitions.

Some interesting videos

This website is great, has interviews with people in various roles at Investment Banks, getting a grilling about their jobs and what they do.

http://www.careerplayer.com/careers/...nvestment.aspx

Cheers.

How does being lgbt help at all?
Original post by slg60
How does being lgbt help at all?

Banks love diversity - and lgbt people are more rare in the recruitment process.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 190
Banks love diversity - and lgbt people are more rare in the recruitment process.

Posted from TSR Mobile

How do they even know though, its not like its something one puts on their CV.
Original post by slg60
How do they even know though, its not like its something one puts on their CV.

They run special diversity programmes specifically for individuals of all types of backgrounds (army, low income, lgbt, female, black, disabled, post-pregnancy etc.) to give them a heads up with breaking into finance. It's something HR and the banks make quite a big deal of.

I agree, you could bluff it to an extent but it becomes awkward when they ask you to star in their new premiere video about lgbt sharing your experiences and then your friends are like...What?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 192
They run special diversity programmes specifically for individuals of all types of backgrounds (army, low income, lgbt, female, black, disabled, post-pregnancy etc.) to give them a heads up with breaking into finance. It's something HR and the banks make quite a big deal of.

I agree, you could bluff it to an extent but it becomes awkward when they ask you to star in their new premiere video about lgbt sharing your experiences and then your friends are like...What?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm surprised, I thought the banks would be so right wing they wouldn't care.

Ahahaha that would be hilarious!
Original post by slg60
I'm surprised, I thought the banks would be so right wing they wouldn't care.

Ahahaha that would be hilarious!

Haha, well I'm not saying they aren't right wing. But banks tend to do what makes them the most money - what makes the most sense - and it just so happens that this is actually beneficial to them. Clients like having ideas and solutions come from diverse thought and backgrounds - it's a source of competitive advantage for the banks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
This thread's been dead for a while.

How's everyone getting on with A'levels and their journey towards IB?
Applying for the Goldman Sachs and Morgan Stanley insight days this years, any tips on making a successful application?
Original post by mpaterson
Applying for the Goldman Sachs and Morgan Stanley insight days this years, any tips on making a successful application?

Yeah, I'll contact you in a bit though. Currently away from home.
Original post by High Stakes
Yeah, I'll contact you in a bit though. Currently away from home.

If possible, could you please offer me some guidance in applying to such insight days? In particular, I am applying for the Morgan Stanley open day. Thank you.
Original post by TheEpiphany
If possible, could you please offer me some guidance in applying to such insight days? In particular, I am applying for the Morgan Stanley open day. Thank you.

Have a solid cv/cl, search on google how to write a CV and CL for a bank.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I feel the overwhelming urge to pretend to be bisexual for increased chances!

...Grrrr :P

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending