The Student Room Group

How many UCAS points do I have?

I did the IB and received a 776 at HL, 776 at SL and A in TOK and C in EE. So i got 42/45 points with 776 HL, but online calculators say my UCAS points are only 260. But I see people saying they got BBB at A-Level with 400 points... I don't understand where I went wrong with my calculations
Reply 1
Original post by deathray65
I did the IB and received a 776 at HL, 776 at SL and A in TOK and C in EE. So i got 42/45 points with 776 HL, but online calculators say my UCAS points are only 260. But I see people saying they got BBB at A-Level with 400 points... I don't understand where I went wrong with my calculations

That might have been the old tariff. Nobody gets 400 in the new tariff. The new tariff has been in place since 2017.

As above, UCAS changed the way their points work in 2017, so I suspect when you "see people saying they got BBB at A-Level with 400 points" you're looking at pre-2017 points. (Having said that, pre-2017 a B at A level would have been worth 100 points so BBB would have been 300 points, not 400).

The best way to calculate your UCAS points is via the official UCAS points calculator at https://www.ucas.com/ucas/tariff-calculator.

Note, however, that at the level you're talking about UCAS points are pretty much irrelevant as top universities don't use them. They always specify what they want in grade terms.

For example, for Law (Jurisprudence) the Oxford specify their requirements as "International Baccalaureate (IB): 38 (including core points) with 666 at HL", whilst for Law LSE say "IB Diploma: 38 points overall, with 766 at higher level". Neither quotes their requirements in terms of UCAS points.

Hi there,

260 UCAS points is a lot. The 400 points from A-Levels could be from the old UCAS tarriffs.

I only did standard levels IBs myself due to the sixth form I was at, but I did find that the UCAS points for an IB grade was less than an A-level grade so that could also be a factor.

I hope this helps!

Susannah (ARU)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending