The Student Room Group

should I get a summer internship for 1st year psychology?

So all my friends in different courses are looking at interships for summer and I've seen a lot of things online about how necessary internships are but I'm just wondering if it's the same for psychology as it hasnt been promoted as much for me. If it is, or there is a chance I could get a summer internship for psych how would I go about it as my a level results weren't good, my uni results are constant 2:1s, and I've heard that internships are very competetive so my assetts aren't exactly looking ideal.
Original post by eatmya55
So all my friends in different courses are looking at interships for summer and I've seen a lot of things online about how necessary internships are but I'm just wondering if it's the same for psychology as it hasnt been promoted as much for me. If it is, or there is a chance I could get a summer internship for psych how would I go about it as my a level results weren't good, my uni results are constant 2:1s, and I've heard that internships are very competetive so my assetts aren't exactly looking ideal.
That's a really good place to start. Don't worry about the grades also 2:1 is still really good! I would definitely say look into internships but also work experience too.
Reply 2
Original post by tamil fever
That's a really good place to start. Don't worry about the grades also 2:1 is still really good! I would definitely say look into internships but also work experience too.

Thank you so much for your reply! :smile: That's genuienly made me feel better, but what what kinds of work or internships would I look into, most of the ones my uni promotes dont really have a direct correlation to psychology, unless it's okay to apply for non-psych related internships? Also, for work experience I looked into it the previous summers and all I found were to shadow psychologists but none were really offering in my area, what other work could I look into?
Original post by eatmya55
Thank you so much for your reply! :smile: That's genuienly made me feel better, but what what kinds of work or internships would I look into, most of the ones my uni promotes dont really have a direct correlation to psychology, unless it's okay to apply for non-psych related internships? Also, for work experience I looked into it the previous summers and all I found were to shadow psychologists but none were really offering in my area, what other work could I look into?

No worries! It's okay to apply for non-related psy ones as long as you have transferrable skills you can showcase. As for psychology related ones maybe mental health support work could be one to look into.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending