The Student Room Group

Psychology at University - FAQ

Scroll to see replies

Original post by LunaCat
Hi!

I have no idea what to do at university and I am in year 13...:frown: I don't do psychology at Alevel and Was considering it for uni... But after reading that I am not sure. I hate essays :/
What do you suggest? I do, maths bio chem.

Hey LunaCat (loving the name btw)

Have you considered coming in for an open day to take a look at our courses and to see exactly what you could expect from university? At UCLan we do have more practical courses, perfect for those who despise essays, forensic science and criminal investigation for example.

We have an open day coming up on Saturday 18th November, click here to book yourself down for a look http://www.uclan.ac.uk/open_days/index.php

p.s. Don't panic about not knowing what to study, I hadn't made up my mind until I was 23, all you can do is look around at what interests you.
Original post by 04MR17
Do you have any particular careers in mind?:holmes:

None :frown: i dont know what interests me anymore... I think i might be dyslexic as well, but sometimes i think it is impossible, i would have known otherwise...

I REALLY DONT KNOW!!!
Original post by UCLan Ambassador
Hey LunaCat (loving the name btw)

Have you considered coming in for an open day to take a look at our courses and to see exactly what you could expect from university? At UCLan we do have more practical courses, perfect for those who despise essays, forensic science and criminal investigation for example.

We have an open day coming up on Saturday 18th November, click here to book yourself down for a look http://www.uclan.ac.uk/open_days/index.php

p.s. Don't panic about not knowing what to study, I hadn't made up my mind until I was 23, all you can do is look around at what interests you.

I would love to but my parents don't want me to go far from home so I only have 2 uni choices really....

What other subjects do you think are not essay based, like more pratical if ygm. Is biomedi one?
Original post by LunaCat
None :frown: i dont know what interests me anymore... I think i might be dyslexic as well, but sometimes i think it is impossible, i would have known otherwise...

I REALLY DONT KNOW!!!
Okay. For a start, getting tested for dyslexia is perhaps worth doing.:yes: Although it shouldn't have much impact on your career plans.:tongue:

What's your dream Job?:holmes:
Original post by 04MR17
Okay. For a start, getting tested for dyslexia is perhaps worth doing.:yes: Although it shouldn't have much impact on your career plans.:tongue:

What's your dream Job?:holmes:

I don't how you get tested for it...
It does, i really hate essays and loads of reading, i want to something that is more pratical ygm?

I've never had one :frown:
Original post by LunaCat
I don't how you get tested for it...
It does, i really hate essays and loads of reading, i want to something that is more pratical ygm?

I've never had one :frown:
I think @claireestelle is much more of a dyslexia expert than I am so can provide you with advice that go beyond my limited googling skills.:redface:

There's not many jobs out there that expect you to write essays and things. That's just the way that the education system chooses to make people do the work:rolleyes:

Out of Biology, Chemistry and Maths, what do you like the most and why?
Original post by LunaCat

I REALLY DONT KNOW!!!

It's not impossible, I have another learning difficulty which I knew about and I got diagnosed with dyslexia when I was 18, I had no clue up until then that I could be.
You can get tested by speaking to your school's Sen team and getting referred to an educational psychologist or you can see one privately.
Most of my uni assignments were essays and I don't like essays but because I was studying a subject I enjoyed and with a bit of support I found a way to get firsts in some of them .
What career are you wanting to go into after studying this?
Reply 208
Hey all I was wondering what the time table is like for first year?
Original post by WeeL
Hey all I was wondering what the time table is like for first year?

This is very much determined by the uni
I just have one question. How many exams do you have?
Original post by Chloe_Elizabeth.
I just have one question. How many exams do you have?

depends on the uni - at UCL we had 4/5 in the summer (for all 3 years) and then stats twice, once in November and once in March for 1st and 2nd year
Considering I'm beginning my degree in Bangor University come September time, I'm really worried about something, though probably getting way ahead of myself. I believe there comes a point where you have to do your own research on a chosen topic. I'm worried as I haven't got a clear idea in mind, but do they usually give you ideas of what to do etc.?

Quick Reply

Latest