The Student Room Group

BPS Accredition with non-UK Psychology Masters

I'm looking to do a Occupational Psychology Masters in mainland Europe. The BPS obviously only automatically accredits UK Masters. Then it appears it's on a case by case basis. It's difficult to find if these courses would qualify if they were assessed by the BPS. If they don't qualify, is there a pathway I can go on the make up modules?

I tried asking BPS but they weren't so helpful. "Hi, I'm looking to do a Psychology Masters, possibly in Europe. The courses there are not accredited. Is there a pathway for accreditation with BPS if I go this route? Kind Regards, ________."

Their response was: "Good morning _______, Thanks for contacting us. This form is for our members online community rather than customer service enquiries. This link may help you in your search - https://www.bps.org.uk/faqs/what-accredited-conversion-programme - if you need to know more please contact our customer service team [email protected] All the best, Online Community Manager"

I suppose I'll need to email every individual course but I suspect I'd just get a general non-specific answer from most of these also. I thought I'd check here to see if anybody has experience of a non-UK Masters that they got accredited by BPS.

Thanking you in advance!
Original post by JOHNNYB999
I'm looking to do a Occupational Psychology Masters in mainland Europe. The BPS obviously only automatically accredits UK Masters. Then it appears it's on a case by case basis. It's difficult to find if these courses would qualify if they were assessed by the BPS. If they don't qualify, is there a pathway I can go on the make up modules?

I tried asking BPS but they weren't so helpful. "Hi, I'm looking to do a Psychology Masters, possibly in Europe. The courses there are not accredited. Is there a pathway for accreditation with BPS if I go this route? Kind Regards, ________."

Their response was: "Good morning _______, Thanks for contacting us. This form is for our members online community rather than customer service enquiries. This link may help you in your search - https://www.bps.org.uk/faqs/what-accredited-conversion-programme - if you need to know more please contact our customer service team [email protected] All the best, Online Community Manager"

I suppose I'll need to email every individual course but I suspect I'd just get a general non-specific answer from most of these also. I thought I'd check here to see if anybody has experience of a non-UK Masters that they got accredited by BPS.

Thanking you in advance!

Hi! I hope you are doing well!:smile:

To practice and get a job in psychology in the UK you will need to have BPS accreditation. If you did not receive this in undergraduate you can do a conversion masters. A course has to have certain elements required by the BPS to be an accredited BPS course. Some courses won't have BPS accreditation if they are more unique and don't follow the BPS rules and guidelines.:h: If a course has BPS accreditation it should say on their university website. If you are unsure I would contact the university directly and they would be able to advise with this. You could also look on the BPS website as you can discover which courses are accredited.

Each county will have different requirements but the BPS is only for the UK. Therefore only courses within the UK will offer BPS accredited courses. I hope this makes sense?

Feel free o reach out if you have any further questions!

Hannah :bear:
De Montfort University Student Rep
MSc Psychological Wellbeing
Reply 2
Hi, thank you very much for your reply. Yes, I did a conversion course that was accredited. I know the courses that are accredited by BPS and that non-UK Masters are non-accredited. However, graduates of these courses can submit their course content to the BPS and it's taken on a case-by-case basis whether they are eligible for GBC. So I am looking how to find out about this before doing courses rather than after.
Reply 3
Original post by JOHNNYB999
Hi, thank you very much for your reply. Yes, I did a conversion course that was accredited. I know the courses that are accredited by BPS and that non-UK Masters are non-accredited. However, graduates of these courses can submit their course content to the BPS and it's taken on a case-by-case basis whether they are eligible for GBC. So I am looking how to find out about this before doing courses rather than after.
I am an international student and looking to go the same way. So once you submit your application for the GBC membership, they see the modules/subjects you had in your international bachelors and if you had the required modules, they grant you the membership in around 8 weeks. This is just my basic understanding since I plan on getting accreditation too.
Reply 4
Original post by Zazu26
I am an international student and looking to go the same way. So once you submit your application for the GBC membership, they see the modules/subjects you had in your international bachelors and if you had the required modules, they grant you the membership in around 8 weeks. This is just my basic understanding since I plan on getting accreditation too.

Hey there, did you apply for accreditation?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending