The Student Room Group

French a level exam boards - huge jump in difficulty?

I'm currently taking french as, and am struggling with the reading and listening in particular. Our college makes us do the WJEC course, and the questions are really difficult. I tried doing some on AQA, and managed As. :confused: I know not many people do WJEC, but for those that have, have you noticed this too (if you've tried papers for different exam boards)? I'm not sure about the writing or speaking, I'd imagine it would be the same on any exam board, but the reading and listening on AQA is considerably easier.
For example, on WJEC, we're expected to listen and gap fill words from an audio with no options in a list, and spell them correctly with the correct verb / word endings. The vocab is more complex on WJEC too, and they don't allow you to lift phrases dirrectly from the text when answering questions like they do on AQA. Is there any way I can possibly change exam board so late into the year? :frown:
Reply 1
I've had experiences with them before for GCSE English. Yes, on face-level they seem a little more difficult than the other exam-boards but, on the other hand, they have a consistent exam setup, and if you do enough papers, you'll know what to expect: that's the trick, you're prepared for the style of questions.

AQA however, are easier but are a lot more 'random' with their structure, wording and style.
Rainbow-Dream
I'm currently taking french as, and am struggling with the reading and listening in particular. Our college makes us do the WJEC course, and the questions are really difficult. I tried doing some on AQA, and managed As. :confused: I know not many people do WJEC, but for those that have, have you noticed this too (if you've tried papers for different exam boards)? I'm not sure about the writing or speaking, I'd imagine it would be the same on any exam board, but the reading and listening on AQA is considerably easier.
For example, on WJEC, we're expected to listen and gap fill words from an audio with no options in a list, and spell them correctly with the correct verb / word endings. The vocab is more complex on WJEC too, and they don't allow you to lift phrases dirrectly from the text when answering questions like they do on AQA. Is there any way I can possibly change exam board so late into the year? :frown:

I'm doing WJEC! haha,I've not met anyone else who is,except for the other person in my college doing french.
I find the listening/reading ok,but i can't find past papers on the WJEC site!
Its Verbs that are my downfall,I my mock, my teacher said i would have got a high A if it wasn't for me not being able to conjugate verbs!( I got a B in the end)
I don't even know why we do wjec,the use AQA for gcse,and all of the other languages use them too,it's not even like we are a welsh speaking school!

ah,que sera sera though! haha :o:

Latest

Trending

Trending