The Student Room Group

I'm a 2023 A-levels student with AAAA(A). I can't get into any law courses.

Hi. This is more of a vent than a question, but let me know if you are in a similar situation.

I finished my A-levels in June. I did four subjects (I know, but I enjoyed the workload and was well-organised, plus one of them was English Language which barely constitutes a real subject imo) and an EPQ, and was predicted A*AAA with an A in my EPQ, but I had been consistently working above that all year in 3 of my subjects. I revised my ass off for exams, but on results day I was told that I'd got AAAA with a further A in EPQ. That's not bad by any stretch of the imagination, but in a normal year I would have got at least 2 A*s, if not 3 (depending on whichever year's grade boundaries you used). In one subject, I was 20 marks over the previous A* boundary, and in my opinion the exam was much of a muchness in terms of difficulty. I had already decided to take a year out to teach English in France, and am now looking to reapply for Law with French Law, only to realise that I'd be auto-rejected from most unis for not having an A*.

How is that fair? I know so many people who have been ****ed over this year. Is the government just expecting an entire year of people to be stuck underperforming in unis they could have well out-performed? There was no need to be so harsh on grade boundaries- our year was still significantly impacted by covid, even if it wasn't during the A-level period. Is there anyone else in a similar situation?
Reply 1
Original post by ggilys
Hi. This is more of a vent than a question, but let me know if you are in a similar situation.

I finished my A-levels in June. I did four subjects (I know, but I enjoyed the workload and was well-organised, plus one of them was English Language which barely constitutes a real subject imo) and an EPQ, and was predicted A*AAA with an A in my EPQ, but I had been consistently working above that all year in 3 of my subjects. I revised my ass off for exams, but on results day I was told that I'd got AAAA with a further A in EPQ. That's not bad by any stretch of the imagination, but in a normal year I would have got at least 2 A*s, if not 3 (depending on whichever year's grade boundaries you used). In one subject, I was 20 marks over the previous A* boundary, and in my opinion the exam was much of a muchness in terms of difficulty. I had already decided to take a year out to teach English in France, and am now looking to reapply for Law with French Law, only to realise that I'd be auto-rejected from most unis for not having an A*.

How is that fair? I know so many people who have been ****ed over this year. Is the government just expecting an entire year of people to be stuck underperforming in unis they could have well out-performed? There was no need to be so harsh on grade boundaries- our year was still significantly impacted by covid, even if it wasn't during the A-level period. Is there anyone else in a similar situation?

The grade distribution is back to the pre covid 2019 levels, so that in itself is fair I believe. The issue was the huge grade inflation during the covid years. Those students should not have been negatively impacted by covid, but it is is also wrong that they benefited from it, at least from a grade attained perspective. There was no easier solution. Grades had to go back to pre covid levels, but some would argue that the return should have been more gradual.
(edited 6 months ago)
I wrote a long reply using iPhone lost it all when I edited it in mobile (issue has never been sorted out).
If I were you I’d email the admissions depts of the unis you’re interested in. Given you have achieved AAAA & are doing a year in France shows dedication & genuine interest. It certainly won’t harm trying.
(edited 6 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending