The Student Room Group

Whats the point in degrees in sociology/philosophy?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 220
I used to think sociology was a useless subject. I had to then study it for the past year to gain my access to HE qualification, I still think its a useless subject. At least what I learnt.

The first thing our tutor told us was 'Sociology is not common sense'. We then proceeded to study why poor people can not go on holiday or buy expensive clothes, where as rich people can, with a very in depth rant from my teacher about how rich people shouldn't be allowed to rich and should give there money to the poor because all rich people don't work for there money, or whatever point she was trying to get across. She was pretty useless imo.

Anyway, Whatever she was trying to teach us was a load of bull**** and i'm pretty sure I've known it since well, I first got educated. When i was 4. Then again we are a society of having to put names to everything (BOOM my one part of sociology i did learn) so if we didn't have 'sociologists' we would have to have something else. My suggesting 'People who talk **** about a group they dont like to prove a pointists'.

Philosophy however is apparently pretty hard to get a decent grade in? .sounds interesting anyway
Original post by pinda.college
Hey:smile:

I'm considering studying politics and philosophy however, I'm not 100% convinced that I know what philosophy involves and whether it's going to be to difficult for me. I'll be studying at the University of Wolverhampton, does philosophy involves loads of reading and could you list some things you've studied please? Also does it involve much science/maths as they're my weak areas:colondollar:

Could you tell me anything that'll let me know more about the course, I realise it varies between different universities however, an overview is all I need:rolleyes:

Thank you:redface:

Yes it involves logical semantics which is similar to algebra, probably to make the stupidity of it seem intelligent to a laymen.
(edited 12 years ago)
I love course beef on TSR haha. :cookie:
Reply 223
Original post by rugbyladosc

Original post by rugbyladosc
I love course beef on TSR haha. :cookie:

Very hilarious isn't it? You'll always come across one of these at least once a day on TSR.

'My course is much more important and job prospects is definitely looking better than yours in the future' :gunfire: :gunfire: :gunfire:
Reply 224
I get asked why Philosophy a lot....this is why,

"The man who has no tincture of philosophy goes through life imprisoned in the prejudices derived from common sense, from the habitual beliefs of his age or his nation, and from convictions which have grown up in his mind without the co-operation or consent of his deliberate reason. To such a man the world tends to become definite, finite, obvious; common objects rouse no questions, and unfamiliar possibilities are contemptuously rejected. As soon as we begin to philosophize, on the contrary, we find ... that even the most everyday things lead to problems to which only very incomplete answers can be given. Philosophy, though unable to tell us with certainty what is the true answer to the doubts which it raises, is able to suggest many possibilities which enlarge our thoughts and free them from the tyranny of custom. Thus, while diminishing our feeling of certainty as to what things are, it greatly increases our knowledge as to what they may be; it removes the somewhat arrogant dogmatism of those who have never travelled into the region of liberating doubt, and it keeps alive our sense of wonder by showing familiar things in an unfamiliar aspect." (Bertrand Russell: The Problems of Philosophy (1912)

Philosophy grads are very well sought after.
Philosophy graduates are the most stuck up people I have ever met.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending