The Student Room Group

Help for a level choices

hi im currently in the point where i have to choose my a levels. I’ve chosen maths physics and design technology so far and I need to choose my last one. I’m trying to decide between economics, politics, philosophy and sociology. The problem is, one of my teachers has told me that taking economics alongside the other 3 would be a lot of work, especially alongside tech. I was wondering if I should take econ and struggle or take politics philosophy or sociology with courses and degrees in mind. I plan on doing some form of engineering but I’d like this fourth subject to be some sort of career backup (literally anything) at uni
Hiya
I feel like personally you should stick to 3 subjects as it is quite a lot of work if you do for however, I understand that he might want one as a back up. You could even try again and then drop it if you’re finding it too much, but it’s definitely important to do something that you enjoy and that you won’t struggle too much today alongside your other three subjects. most universities only look for three so it’s up to you whether you keep on 4. Feel like economics will help with engineering as well, so that would be a good choice. Good luck with your choices and everything:smile:
As above, no-one needs 4 A levels.

Whatever your school might tell you, no University 'prefers' 4 A levels and it gives you no advantage in the application process. AAA will always look better than ABBB - and remember that this could cost you a Uni place.

Stick to 3 subjects.
Reply 3
I appreciate the advice, but at my school 4 a-levels is a requirement for the sixth form. Do you think it would be worth going against the norm and asking to do 3, or just picking politics or philosophy or sociology in the hopes I can get an A
State your case firmly about only wanting to do 3.

If this becomes impossible, then agree to do Sociology and drop it after the first year.
Reply 5
Original post by zKariya
hi im currently in the point where i have to choose my a levels. I’ve chosen maths physics and design technology so far and I need to choose my last one. I’m trying to decide between economics, politics, philosophy and sociology. The problem is, one of my teachers has told me that taking economics alongside the other 3 would be a lot of work, especially alongside tech. I was wondering if I should take econ and struggle or take politics philosophy or sociology with courses and degrees in mind. I plan on doing some form of engineering but I’d like this fourth subject to be some sort of career backup (literally anything) at uni

You are better off doing 3, ideally with an EPQ if that's available, but starting with 4 and dropping one of them, is very common and might be a good way of finding out what you prefer. You could for example realise that you don't really like DT and end up with say Maths/Physics/Econ, which is a great combo, as has both STEM and an essay subject, so keeps most doors open.
(edited 1 month ago)

Quick Reply

Latest