The Student Room Group

a level subjects for politics

what a levels should i study to do something that has to do with politics in the future??

i want to choose art,biology and sociology (bc politics isn’t an option for me)
Reply 1
History would be a good choice. English as well. You want something to develop your skills of analysis and essay writing.

Sociology is OK (though not as good as history IMO). Art and Biology seem kind of random.
a level history (usually you cover british political history)
a level philosophy (it’s good for your critical thinking skills, good teaching you to create coherent arguments, speak better etc)
a level law , law is closely related to politics, without politics there’s no law, without law there’s no politics. its helpful to understand the legal system
a level sociology, sociology has everything to do with society, and politics js for society.

i would personally choose:

- philosophy or history
- law
- sociology
Reply 3
Original post by KhaoticCarnage
a level history (usually you cover british political history)
a level philosophy (it’s good for your critical thinking skills, good teaching you to create coherent arguments, speak better etc)
a level law , law is closely related to politics, without politics there’s no law, without law there’s no politics. its helpful to understand the legal system
a level sociology, sociology has everything to do with society, and politics js for society.

i would personally choose:

- philosophy or history
- law
- sociology

my school doesn’t do philosophy for some reason

i thought economics would get you into a politics degree though?
Original post by samiya1234
what a levels should i study to do something that has to do with politics in the future??

i want to choose art,biology and sociology (bc politics isn’t an option for me)

I personally would say: Modern History, Philosophy, English Literature
Reply 5
Original post by ohope
History would be a good choice. English as well. You want something to develop your skills of analysis and essay writing.

Sociology is OK (though not as good as history IMO). Art and Biology seem kind of random.

I’ve seen people get into politics degree with stem subjects. apparently you don’t need any specific subjects to get into politics

if you do economics,history,sociology ur more likely to be accepted
Original post by unknown_1219
I personally would say: Modern History, Philosophy, English Literature

Instead of philosophy you could do sociology
Reply 7
Original post by unknown_1219
Instead of philosophy you could do sociology

yeahhh my school doesn’t even do philosophy anyway

sociology focuses on society too so..
Reply 8
I took a level politics, and some of the subjects that my classmates did alongside while trying to get into a political career/politics degree the common ones were geography, econ, law and philosophy. If you don't have the option to do politics now, then immerse yourself with the topics that are discussed and debated in politics so that when it comes to having to prove why you want this career, you can. if there is a debating club, join it. if there is a student newspaper I'd join that too - or at least contribute to it. Economy, environment and immigration are large political topics, and for that reason I'd choose econ, geography and either history or a modern language (if you're thinking of university).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending