The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by anonymouse01
Yeah I had my first lesson 3 weeks ago. Drove for about 3 minutes. Second lesson drove for 5 minutes. 3rd lesson 20 minutes.

My instructor likes to talk about the car. He doesn't just want me to learn about how to drive, he wants to explain what happening to the car when I'm driving, so for example on the first lesson he taught me about the biting point and exactly what the flywheel blah blah is doing when you lift the clutch.

Posted from TSR iPad

Fair enough, and great if you wanted to learn about that stuff, but apart from the stuff which keeps the car running I don't really care if that makes sense haha? Obviously the questions you get asked for show me tell me are important, and there is stuff I will pick up, but honestly I just wanted my instructor so I could pass, but wouldn't have minded say he started talking about the stuff once I was more confident in driving and whilst I was driving, rather than being a brand new learner and being overwhelmed with how the car worked

Have to say though, I was surprised to be going 40mph and 4th gear and driving home on my first lesson. Then just driving the whole time from there on.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SortYourLife
Fair enough, and great if you wanted to learn about that stuff, but apart from the stuff which keeps the car running I don't really care if that makes sense haha? Obviously the questions you get asked for show me tell me are important, and there is stuff I will pick up, but honestly I just wanted my instructor so I could pass, but wouldn't have minded say he started talking about the stuff once I was more confident in driving and whilst I was driving, rather than being a brand new learner and being overwhelmed with how the car worked

Have to say though, I was surprised to be going 40mph and 4th gear and driving home on my first lesson. Then just driving the whole time from there on.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow haha. And yeah I would have preferred that but I'm not really complaining.

Was quite angry on the first lesson though. We were just talking about college and general things and cars etc and I was joining in with the conversation (this was outside my house). THEN... we spent 10 minutes in the car... So he counted the chitchat at the start as part of the lesson!!!

I like him though which is why I've kept him.

EDIT : I like the car very much too, another reason why I've kept him

Posted from TSR iPad
I have my 17th lesson tomorrow, 5 weeks away from my test. Need to be on it tomorrow, had a really bad lesson last week which keeps playing on my mind. Need to start nailing my manoeuvres, my actual driving is fine, just the manouvres i need to perfect.
I've had my licence three years and am SO GLAD I learnt to drive before going to uni. The thought of going through everything again seems like such effort now XD

JWTS, I highly recommend having your instructor in on your test. I 'failed' my first one, but luckily my instructor was there and fought my case to get me re-assesed a week later for free because he knew the examiner was in the wrong, and that (his words not mine) no one who wears small sunglasses over large normal galsses should be testing people's ability to do anything.

If he hadn't have been there, justice would not have been served!

Good luck everyone :smile:
Wow haha. And yeah I would have preferred that but I'm not really complaining.

Was quite angry on the first lesson though. We were just talking about college and general things and cars etc and I was joining in with the conversation (this was outside my house). THEN... we spent 10 minutes in the car... So he counted the chitchat at the start as part of the lesson!!!

I like him though which is why I've kept him.

EDIT : I like the car very much too, another reason why I've kept him

Posted from TSR iPad

Sorry I just talk! And yeah fair enough, tbf I don't think you can really judge someone on one lesson anyways, and ahh that would be annoying! Occasionally my instructor would cut me like 5-10 minutes short, but it really wasn't that often, plus I was stuck in traffic once for about half an hour and didn't charge me anything more or anything. Plus one of my tests was cancelled once, so he gave me one hours worth of money back (after giving him two, although I was probably in the car for just under 2 anyways, which I thought was good of him) and he'd always text me if he was running late or whatever.

And yeah I liked my instructors car, then like 4 weeks before my test he changed! Haha. But then this was my cancelled test anyways, and as it was newer it was better to drive and very easy to pick up, just had to spend a lesson getting used to it as it was quite a bit bigger

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Clioashlee
I've had my licence three years and am SO GLAD I learnt to drive before going to uni. The thought of going through everything again seems like such effort now XD

JWTS, I highly recommend having your instructor in on your test. I 'failed' my first one, but luckily my instructor was there and fought my case to get me re-assesed a week later for free because he knew the examiner was in the wrong, and that (his words not mine) no one who wears small sunglasses over large normal galsses should be testing people's ability to do anything.

If he hadn't have been there, justice would not have been served!

Good luck everyone :smile:

Just out of interest, what was it you had done that the examiner deemed "wrong"? I absolutely love driving everywhere , and the freedom you get is amazing! :smile:
Reply 5986
Original post by Coffeegirl
well done for speaking to her and reaching a compromise. The plan sounds good and I hope you don't have to put your test back and you pass :biggrin:
with roundabouts and junctions, it really does just click someday...its not something that can be taught...i think it clicked for me like 2 lessons before my test lol

My lessons were 1 hour long after the initial 2 hour long ones. I only got one minor and that was because i was about to go on a busy roundabout when a van came speeding around and i had to brake harshly and i thought i had failed because the examiners foot went by the brake but she only gave me a minor for approach speed so all was good :smile:

Thanks :u: I hope so too, I'm just desperately praying for a nice examiner and quiet roads! I think so too. Surely the examiners understand that you're not an experienced driver, so you might be a little more cautious at times. Oh that's reassuring, hopefully the same will happen for me, haha. We practise them a lot so I am gradually getting more confident at them.

Oh yeah, one minor, sorry! I see, if that was me I would have assumed it was a major too! So she didn't actually need to press the brake? That's good, you probably showed that you were able to control the car under that sort of pressure.
Original post by lp94
Thanks :u: I hope so too, I'm just desperately praying for a nice examiner and quiet roads! I think so too. Surely the examiners understand that you're not an experienced driver, so you might be a little more cautious at times. Oh that's reassuring, hopefully the same will happen for me, haha. We practise them a lot so I am gradually getting more confident at them.

Oh yeah, one minor, sorry! I see, if that was me I would have assumed it was a major too! So she didn't actually need to press the brake? That's good, you probably showed that you were able to control the car under that sort of pressure.

When is your test ??
yup, I saw her foot go by the brakes out of the corner of my eyes so I slammed my brakes on :tongue: and assumed that I had failed. But she said at the end that she was about to use them but didn't need to because i stopped in time even if it was harsh!
Original post by DjamesH94
Just out of interest, what was it you had done that the examiner deemed "wrong"? I absolutely love driving everywhere , and the freedom you get is amazing! :smile:

You won't believe this but I tell this story so often, that I have an MS paint diagram.

The yellow arrows are the route I took from the main road, over the mini road and into the test centre car park.

The pink woman stopped to let me pass, I waited, but she beckoned me in, so I went in. That was why I failed :frown:

driving test.png

Don't deny the love for my sick 'paint' drawing skills.
You won't believe this but I tell this story so often, that I have an MS paint diagram.

The yellow arrows are the route I took from the main road, over the mini road and into the test centre car park.

The pink woman stopped to let me pass, I waited, but she beckoned me in, so I went in. That was why I failed :frown:

driving test.png

That's actually a pretty good drawing.
Original post by The Assassin
That's actually a pretty good drawing.

Thank you!

(and for not judging me for having on-hand diagrams of my life).
Yeah I had my first lesson 3 weeks ago. Drove for about 3 minutes. Second lesson drove for 5 minutes. 3rd lesson 20 minutes.

My instructor likes to talk about the car. He doesn't just want me to learn about how to drive, he wants to explain what happening to the car when I'm driving, so for example on the first lesson he taught me about the biting point and exactly what the flywheel blah blah is doing when you lift the clutch.

Posted from TSR iPad

Sorry to say you've been ripped off man. So in your first 3 lessons, you still hadn't driven for up to an hour? :facepalm:

I'm sorry, but I don't see how you can be happy with that

driving test.png

Ah, how very harsh! Ah we'll, you passed in the end so that's the main thing. Might have to neg you for the drawing skills however :wink:. I'm joking I'm joking :P
Ah, how very harsh! Ah we'll, you passed in the end so that's the main thing. Might have to neg you for the drawing skills however :wink:. I'm joking I'm joking :P

Thank you for not judging me on having diagrams about my life on hand :wink:
Thank you for not judging me on having diagrams about my life on hand :wink:

Haha you're welcome. Infact, it was a good drawing and I'm in a good mood, so I gave you a positive on the latest post. Cherish it! :smile:
Haha you're welcome. Infact, it was a good drawing and I'm in a good mood, so I gave you a positive on the latest post. Cherish it! :smile:

awesome :colone:
tumblr_lrwf3rjxmu1r29nr2o1_500.jpg
Reply 5996
Hey guys,

Does the examiner fail you during your practical when he is giving out instructions (not during independent part) e.g. turn right and you turn left? Hope I make sense :tongue:

This was posted from the Student Room's Android App
Original post by Boqore
Hey guys,

Does the examiner fail you during your practical when he is giving out instructions (not during independent part) e.g. turn right and you turn left? Hope I make sense :tongue:

That should only get you a minor at maximum

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Boqore
Hey guys,

Nope, you don't get failed by it... You don't even get a minor, the examiner will just redirect you. However, saying that, I did get a minor for turning left when the examiner said turn right which my instructor thought was very unfair.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5999
Original post by Coffeegirl
When is your test ??
yup, I saw her foot go by the brakes out of the corner of my eyes so I slammed my brakes on :tongue: and assumed that I had failed. But she said at the end that she was about to use them but didn't need to because i stopped in time even if it was harsh!

I won't say exactly until after I've done it :innocent: But it's within the next two weeks.
Oh okay, that's good. If I see them hovering over the brake I'll be sure to do the same, haha. How long ago was yours now?

Latest

Trending

Trending