The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tilly-Elizabeth
Is doing like 58 hours of lessons wayyyyy too much?

Some people just take longer to grasp it in comparison to others - don't worry! :smile: It's better to have those extra hours and feel more confident right? :smile:
Original post by itssimplyme
Some people just take longer to grasp it in comparison to others - don't worry! :smile: It's better to have those extra hours and feel more confident right? :smile:

Thanks I'm quite confident now, but I just want to wait a bit longer to really be totally ready :smile:
Thanks I'm quite confident now, but I just want to wait a bit longer to really be totally ready :smile:

I had 43 and apparently the average is about 40 so it's not really that many.
Original post by lauraaaaa
I had 43 and apparently the average is about 40 so it's not really that many.

Oh right. I think I've done about 40 now so not long to go. My instructor says I have all the skills already - she just wants me to get them all really good. She says my only real problem is hesitation - which has improved a lot over the past month :biggrin:. Hopefully I'll pass in June which will be 16 more hours. Ok so 56 in total. She quoted me 50 lessons when I started so that's not bad. My sister did 38 plus had her own car which she did a minimum of 20 hours in, so she did 58 hours - but in a shorter space of time- I only do an hour a week so it's been spread along a much greater time.
Oh right. I think I've done about 40 now so not long to go. My instructor says I have all the skills already - she just wants me to get them all really good. She says my only real problem is hesitation - which has improved a lot over the past month :biggrin:. Hopefully I'll pass in June which will be 16 more hours. Ok so 56 in total. She quoted me 50 lessons when I started so that's not bad. My sister did 38 plus had her own car which she did a minimum of 20 hours in, so she did 58 hours - but in a shorter space of time- I only do an hour a week so it's been spread along a much greater time.

Yeah I did an hour a week so learnt for like 10 months. Passed last week :smile: doesn't matter how many lessons you have as long as you pass :smile: my mom keeps pressuring me to go driving on my own now and I'm scared haha
Yeah I did an hour a week so learnt for like 10 months. Passed last week :smile: doesn't matter how many lessons you have as long as you pass :smile: my mom keeps pressuring me to go driving on my own now and I'm scared haha

By June it will be about 10 months I think. I had 1.5 hours for the first few as I kept missing weeks - she was fully booked and then she went on holiday and we did so she gave me longer lessons to kind of catch up.

Well done! :woo:
By June it will be about 10 months I think. I had 1.5 hours for the first few as I kept missing weeks - she was fully booked and then she went on holiday and we did so she gave me longer lessons to kind of catch up.

Well done! :woo:

I know people who have been learning a year and a half so nothing wrong with however long it takes! Thanks, super scared to go out alone, especially because this is a petrol and I learnt in a diesel :/
I know people who have been learning a year and a half so nothing wrong with however long it takes! Thanks, super scared to go out alone, especially because this is a petrol and I learnt in a diesel :/

Yeah I suppose it hasn't been that long - and my instructor thinks I will definitely be ready in the summer. :smile:

My sister had the same transition but it's not actually that bad. Just use the accelerator more when pulling off because the clutch doesn't take you as far, and you can go a lot slower in higher gears (she went like 20 in 4th). And be prepared to stall more - she stalled 4 times on her first time out in a petrol. But it only took her like 3/4 trips out to get the hang of it! GO FOR IT!!!! :biggrin:
Yeah I suppose it hasn't been that long - and my instructor thinks I will definitely be ready in the summer. :smile:

My sister had the same transition but it's not actually that bad. Just use the accelerator more when pulling off because the clutch doesn't take you as far, and you can go a lot slower in higher gears (she went like 20 in 4th). And be prepared to stall more - she stalled 4 times on her first time out in a petrol. But it only took her like 3/4 trips out to get the hang of it! GO FOR IT!!!! :biggrin:

Yeah, it'll be fine :smile: I think I'm gonna go out tomorrow cos it looks like it'll rain here! I wanna go tonight but I doubt mom will let me :frown: haha I duno whether to go alone or with my dad!
Yeah, it'll be fine :smile: I think I'm gonna go out tomorrow cos it looks like it'll rain here! I wanna go tonight but I doubt mom will let me :frown: haha I duno whether to go alone or with my dad!

Go with someone maybe for the first try, and then after that try it alone. It helps I think to have someone just for the first time.
Go with someone maybe for the first try, and then after that try it alone. It helps I think to have someone just for the first time.

Hm, dont want people to shout at me though haha. Hm we'll see haha. I really wanna go out, I'm just scared!
Just an update ... I passed my test on 20th Feb with 6 minors :biggrin: the freedom is amazing!
Reply 7992
Uggghhh first practical test today! Its raining, I have the cold and its being held at a temporary test center near lots of little annoying narrow busy roads! This should be fun

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by NonaxD
Uggghhh first practical test today! Its raining, I have the cold and its being held at a temporary test center near lots of little annoying narrow busy roads! This should be fun

Posted from TSR Mobile

I had a cold on mine and passed. Just focus on doing one thing at a time, don't worry about what's coming up or what you've just done. It's the best feeling ever when you pass. I know you can do it!
Reply 7994
Original post by NonaxD

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ive got mine today too, at 1:45. Good luck!
I tried to park yesterday, ended up 2 metres from the next car. :biggrin:
I started learning the reverse last week the 3 point turn is complicated I never know where I should be looking.
I'm good at driving on the road I've cut out a at the traffic lights when it comes to taking off because I put the clutch up too quickly an I end up stalling so annoying it's happened the last couple of times.
Reply 7997
Original post by Alex Pee
Ive got mine today too, at 1:45. Good luck!

Good luck :biggrin:

Unfortunetly I failed :frown: nerves got the better of me and i messed up my reverse park. Rest of the drive was good as well :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just had my first driving lesson :biggrin: Still a long way to go!
Original post by crescendox
Just had my first driving lesson :biggrin: Still a long way to go!

Nice!

What car are you learning in? :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending