The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Done 35 hours so far, booked my test for beginning of January but looking for cancellations between 10th and 20th December so hopefully get to do my test before Christmas!
Driving test soon.. VERY soon.. so nervous!
Original post by HistoryGirly
Driving test soon.. VERY soon.. so nervous!

When did you book it? :smile:

Original post by smico123
Done 35 hours so far, booked my test for beginning of January but looking for cancellations between 10th and 20th December so hopefully get to do my test before Christmas!

Me too! :frown: I'm on the damn site at least 5 times a day to get something in December. Booked for early January but that's too far.
Original post by Lyrical Prodigy

Me too! :frown: I'm on the damn site at least 5 times a day to get something in December. Booked for early January but that's too far.

I booked it 3 weeks ago :smile:

I feel bad that I booked mine then checked the next morning for cancellations for the first time and got one nine days later.

There are more cancellations during the day apparently so checking whilst at work or college or uni is helpful. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Motorbiker
I feel bad that I booked mine then checked the next morning for cancellations for the first time and got one nine days later.
There are more cancellations during the day apparently so checking whilst at work or college or uni is helpful. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh that's nice, lucky you! The Test Centre in my area is incredibly popular and that doesn't help haha! Guess I'd have to keep checking during uni like you suggested, thank you :smile:
Oh that's nice, lucky you! The Test Centre in my area is incredibly popular and that doesn't help haha! Guess I'd have to keep checking during uni like you suggested, thank you :smile:

Just keep checking it all the time. Multiple times everyday.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Really really hate driving with my mum and dad there - all they do is shout and worry and it stresses me out more. :frown:
Original post by kmcg97
Really really hate driving with my mum and dad there - all they do is shout and worry and it stresses me out more. :frown:

Just stick to instructors then. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Motorbiker
Just stick to instructors then. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I still have lessons with my instructor but he told me to get out driving in my car so I have to drive that with them in it
Done a mock test today, no minors. Has gave me more confidence for test day!
Argh missed out on a good cancellation today whilst at work, December 13th at 11am. Was the sort of date and time I was looking for shame I didn't get my break at work sooner to see the text :frown:.

Is there a particular time when cancellations appear more often?
Original post by smico123
Argh missed out on a good cancellation today whilst at work, December 13th at 11am. Was the sort of date and time I was looking for shame I didn't get my break at work sooner to see the text :frown:.

Is there a particular time when cancellations appear more often?

During the day. Think it peaks at around lunchtime and there's not many during the evening.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey, I had my first lesson on Sunday last week, went up to 4th gear. Drove up the road about 150m, done a turn (instructor done pedals, I done steering). Then drove back about 200m and done another identical turn. Went back again about 100m and pulled up at the kerb and restarted and went another 100m before stopping and swapping seats.
Got my next lesson on Sunday. Will be starting to take more than 1 a week starting next week.
We also done MSM, LADA and POM. And I stalled once because she said I went too far up on the clutch past the biting point.
Is this alright for a first lesson? It felt decent to me.
The one thing I found hard was trying to work out how much I needed to turn the wheel to result in the amount of change in direction that I wanted. Is this something that I should ask to specifically work on or will there be some sort of allocated lesson to steering at some point? And I also felt like I wasn't using the mirrors enough as we drove down the road but she didn't mention anything about it.
Original post by harmingjuli
Hey, I had my first lesson on Sunday last week, went up to 4th gear. Drove up the road about 150m, done a turn (instructor done pedals, I done steering). Then drove back about 200m and done another identical turn. Went back again about 100m and pulled up at the kerb and restarted and went another 100m before stopping and swapping seats.
Got my next lesson on Sunday. Will be starting to take more than 1 a week starting next week.
We also done MSM, LADA and POM. And I stalled once because she said I went too far up on the clutch past the biting point.
Is this alright for a first lesson? It felt decent to me.
The one thing I found hard was trying to work out how much I needed to turn the wheel to result in the amount of change in direction that I wanted. Is this something that I should ask to specifically work on or will there be some sort of allocated lesson to steering at some point? And I also felt like I wasn't using the mirrors enough as we drove down the road but she didn't mention anything about it.

That's pretty good for a first lesson! About steering: it's probably just going to take time to get used to the car, but if it's really bothering you then mention it to your instructor and they should try to help you with it. You'll get the hang of it don't worry :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I had my first lesson today, it went horribly. I really didn't enjoy it.

I'm not too worried about starting and stuff, but the speed at which I engage the clutch and press the accelerator confuses me, I don't know at what speed I'm meant to do it. Also, I don't know how to stop. My instructor said BBC (brake before clutch), so I brake a bit to slow down, then put the clutch right down. I stalled this way and he said I should have disengaged the clutch before braking. Then he tried doing left hand reversing with me, which went okay at first, until I lost control and curbed the car, and the hubcap came off :/. I'm really not looking forward to my next lesson. I've asked my mum to take me out to a private airfield or somewhere (living in Somerset UK there's plenty of private land like this) so I can get used to the car. I'm just so nervous that I'll case an accident or crash so much so that I can barely focus on what he's telling me. I didn't get out of 2nd (it's a manual btw), and I think I did at max ~25mph. It was also on a quiet housing estate.
Original post by eddie442
I had my first lesson today, it went horribly. I really didn't enjoy it.

I'm not too worried about starting and stuff, but the speed at which I engage the clutch and press the accelerator confuses me, I don't know at what speed I'm meant to do it. Also, I don't know how to stop. My instructor said BBC (brake before clutch), so I brake a bit to slow down, then put the clutch right down. I stalled this way and he said I should have disengaged the clutch before braking. Then he tried doing left hand reversing with me, which went okay at first, until I lost control and curbed the car, and the hubcap came off :/. I'm really not looking forward to my next lesson. I've asked my mum to take me out to a private airfield or somewhere (living in Somerset UK there's plenty of private land like this) so I can get used to the car. I'm just so nervous that I'll case an accident or crash so much so that I can barely focus on what he's telling me. I didn't get out of 2nd (it's a manual btw), and I think I did at max ~25mph. It was also on a quiet housing estate.

In slow manoeuvres it's pretty much brake and then clutch nearly straight away. That's alright for a first lesson. You will get there. Are you driving diesel or petrol? I stalled twice on my test and still passed. Only passed a few weeks ago and have only ever stalled my car once but I was stalling my instructors car nearly every lesson.
Booked my theory for the 30th Dec :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Spock's Socks

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good luck. How much prep have you done?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Spock's Socks

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good Luck!

Latest