The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Livi_510
Question: What gear are you 'meant' to do roundabouts in? I know there probably isn't a set rule but what would you suggest?

I was always taught to approach in second, if it's clear, then just keep going.

However, if there's another vehicle preventing you from going, stop, pop into first, and then it's basically like doing the moving off procedure again. My instructor said if you were going to be there for a longer amount of time than normal (i.e if there's lots of traffic) or if you were on a slight hill, to put the handbrake on too.

But I'd check with your instructor, they'd be able to explain it much better than I can! :o:
MadameBonheur
I was always taught to approach in second, if it's clear, then just keep going.

However, if there's another vehicle preventing you from going, stop, pop into first, and then it's basically like doing the moving off procedure again. My instructor said if you were going to be there for a longer amount of time than normal (i.e if there's lots of traffic) or if you were on a slight hill, to put the handbrake on too.

But I'd check with your instructor, they'd be able to explain it much better than I can! :o:

Ah thankyou, sounds like what he's told me! But haven't had a lesson in 2 weeks so my mind's gone a bit fuzzy about details. Now I just have to fix the timing of my gear changes :/.
Livi_510
Ah thankyou, sounds like what he's told me! But haven't had a lesson in 2 weeks so my mind's gone a bit fuzzy about details. Now I just have to fix the timing of my gear changes :/.

You're welcome. :h:

Oh yes, I remember that feeling! I've passed now (but still lurk round here for some reason :o:) but until the other day I hadn't driven for two weeks because of holidays and stuff. Getting back in a car felt really odd and I had to really concentrate on what I was doing!

Good luck with the rest of your lessons. It's worth it all in the end when you're told you've passed. :biggrin:
Theory test tomorrow :s

been looking for practise tests but can't find any (besides the official dsa ones that I've taken a zillion times now :o: and 2 random ones), anyone know where I can find some more?
Reply 1184
Still no luck with finding a cancellation, it seems :frown:
aargh test on thursday, starting to get nervous :frown:
Only had 13 hours so far, will have had 15 by the time of the test.
Passed my theory test :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

49 out of 50 for multiple choice, 58 out of 75 for hazard perception :smile:

(woops sorry for double post..... realllly slow internet connection :o:)
just wanted to know after how much lessons did you guys learn all your manouvers?
I didn't do any until at least my 15th lesson, and I have no idea why as I was ready for them a lot sooner imo...think it was just the instructor as my friend who was also with him did them around the same time (if not a bit earlier as mine were delayed a couple of lessons as he was changing cars and didn't wanna confuse me :s-smilie:). Most people seem to start within a few lessons, but it really depends on the instructor...
I started some on my 5th lesson which was too soon for me. I hated that instructor and I got a new one after my 15 lessons with him and she was shocked that I was doing manoeuvres, like she said I could barely drive forwards I shouldn't be concentrating on driving backwards. After a few lessons she could tell I was more confident reversing that driving forwards because I spend more time on that and it totally messed me up with my lessons. Although I am good at manoeuvres I had to re learn them in a different car with different turning points.
ive had 20 and only learnt one manouver just about!! evwun says im bieng conned lol iv stopped taking it for a while to concentrate on my theory and find a new instructer.
I started manouvers around or just after my 5th lesson, about my 8 th lesson. Since then I have done 19 hours and I'm getting better but I just need to perfect them now.
Lesson tomorrow first one in 2 weeks been away ha.
Rather looking forward to it, not reallly in the mood for it atm but it's late and i've had a real rubbish 2 days.
Should have practical test date tomorrow. :smile:
Oh and I have enough money to get my first car, gonna have my dads Rover 25 hatchback for a very good price. :smile: was thinking a ford ka however I know where my dads has come from and what not :p: Plus it's a nice little car too.:smile:
aleathiel

(woops sorry for double post..... realllly slow internet connection :o:)

Well done! :h:
Reply 1195
YESSS!!! Managed to get another test booked for 21st Sept at 12:43- before I go back to uni. My instructor text me at half seven this morning, lol. If it was anyone else I would have hunted them down and killed them :/ Now I just have to pass the damned thing.
Yes! I passed my test just an hour ago and I thought TSR would be the first to know that! God I thought I failed lol with the '3 point turn'.

5 minors. :smile:
Reply 1197
Superman_Jr
Yes! I passed my test just an hour ago and I thought TSR would be the first to know that! God I thought I failed lol with the '3 point turn'.

5 minors. :smile:

Well done! :tongue: :woo:
crikey, test tomorrow at 2:30 and i STILL can't reverse parallel park properly :mad: praying that i get turn in the road and reverse left :p:
got my test tomorrow at 2pm, not feeling real confident but time will tell.

Latest

Trending

Trending