The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by museobsessed
why, is the test easier in guernsey? I'm hoping to be test standard after 20 hours, done 9 so far and we've almost finished everything new, just improving on what i've done before after next lesson

Nope, only difference is in our theory which has 35 questions, not 40. 5 of those questions are based on Guernsey roads (What should you do if you meet a car in a thin lane, for example)

I had 6 lessons, simply because I just cba to pay an instructor £30 an hour for something my mum can teach me for free :P

tbh it's all about confidence, if you're confident on your test you'll generally pass
Passed my theory :smile:
I've just had my 10th lesson and all my manouevres are test standard except turning in a road on sloped roads, normal roads is fine! Anyway, everything is fine now just perfecting stuff although I stalled on a hill today as I took my foot from the clutch too fast, silly mistake!
Original post by popppyss

Original post by popppyss
I've just had my 10th lesson and all my manouevres are test standard except turning in a road on sloped roads, normal roads is fine! Anyway, everything is fine now just perfecting stuff although I stalled on a hill today as I took my foot from the clutch too fast, silly mistake!

I do that! I did reversing around a corner in my lesson, where I was also reversing down a steep hill. I did the manouver fine but had a massive problem starting off again afterwards! annoying
Had my first lesson today, was alright i ender up going through a roundabout and going round corners and reached 3rd gear which im happy about :smile:
Reply 1385
Original post by alwaysanigel247
Failed! got 16 minors but some of my minors added up to an major!

Ooo gosh, what on exactly? How many Majors?
Right can anyone advise me on a driving issue. I've been driving with my new instructor for the past four months and she's ticked off everything on her card and I've done all of the maneuvers. She said to me the other week that I wasn't far from test and that she wanted to do a few mock tests with me to see how I get on. So far I've had one mock test and I have one in the morning, so out of curiousity I checked online to see how long it would be roughly for an appointent at my test centre and nothing's coming up. However, it is a notoriously popular test centre, but the thing is I seriously can't afford to pay for loads more lessons whilst waiting for my pratical! I'm debating whether to ask her if I can go ahead and book now seeing as I will have a good while to wait. Or should I just wait for her to tell me to go ahead and book it? Opinions please
x
I need to book my driving test for a saturday morning, how do I do that? :puppyeyes:
Original post by x_Loll_x
Right can anyone advise me on a driving issue. I've been driving with my new instructor for the past four months and she's ticked off everything on her card and I've done all of the maneuvers. She said to me the other week that I wasn't far from test and that she wanted to do a few mock tests with me to see how I get on. So far I've had one mock test and I have one in the morning, so out of curiousity I checked online to see how long it would be roughly for an appointent at my test centre and nothing's coming up. However, it is a notoriously popular test centre, but the thing is I seriously can't afford to pay for loads more lessons whilst waiting for my pratical! I'm debating whether to ask her if I can go ahead and book now seeing as I will have a good while to wait. Or should I just wait for her to tell me to go ahead and book it? Opinions please
x

I would suggest that you book your test for as soon as possible (which may well be 8 weeks time). Once booked, let your instructor know and if it is too early you can always change it. Moving it back is easier than moving it forwards and as long as you move it at least 3 days before the test is due, you won't lose your fee.

I always encourage my pupils to book it as soon as they pass their theory - it makes it easier to plan...

I hope that helps.

Em
Original post by jaydemikaela
Passed my theory :smile:

Congrats! :h:
Reply 1390
I have my test early December. not really scared atm.....will all change soon though! im getting to that stage in my lessons now where my instructor doesnt really have to say much in the lessons, which means I am basically nearly up to test standard? hope so. my last lesson went so well i felt so confident afterwards!!
Have my test this friday so nervous :eek: got a lesson in 30mins, another wedensday, then a bit of time before test.
Qucik question though when doing like TIR,RRC etc etc do you guys use the clutch and accelarator? because i'm in a disel the car pulls along nicely without really needing accelarator but I still use it with clutch.
Reply 1392
Just booked my test :|
Not had a lesson in a few weeks cos of being busy with the new job, having one tomorrow and uber stressing :frown:
Original post by Enchanté
Have my test this friday so nervous :eek: got a lesson in 30mins, another wedensday, then a bit of time before test.
Qucik question though when doing like TIR,RRC etc etc do you guys use the clutch and accelarator? because i'm in a disel the car pulls along nicely without really needing accelarator but I still use it with clutch.

Hiya,

If you don't need gas then don't use it! I would only use it if I absolutely needed to. It's much easier to keep the car moving slowly if you only have to use the clutch.

Em
How do you guys cope with driving on main roads for the first time? whilst learning? quote me:smile:
Original post by thecdon

Original post by thecdon
How do you guys cope with driving on main roads for the first time? whilst learning? quote me:smile:

grit your teeth and do it. Have your instructor there and be confident in yourself. First time I went on a busy main road I was worried before i went on it but it turned out fine. Just keep calm and you won't make mistakes
Original post by thecdon

I used to be really scared and panicky :s-smilie:. I've improved a bit now though, so I'm more confident now. On the main roads, you just have to be more cautious of there being many more vehicles on the road, as well as needing to drive a but faster and use higher gears.As long as you're not a nervous type like I was, you should be fine :smile:
Original post by museobsessed
grit your teeth and do it. Have your instructor there and be confident in yourself. First time I went on a busy main road I was worried before i went on it but it turned out fine. Just keep calm and you won't make mistakes

Cheers, I suppose the main thing needed to do well is to have confidence in your own ability & what you've learned.

After how many lessons did you guys drive home?(say you live 3 miles away from where your lesson's held...)
Reply 1399
Original post by thecdon
Cheers, I suppose the main thing needed to do well is to have confidence in your own ability & what you've learned.

After how many lessons did you guys drive home?(say you live 3 miles away from where your lesson's held...)

Ciaraaaan! You startin to take drivin lessons? Good lad! I drived myself back home second lesson. First few lessons, he just took me straight on the road, the quiet ones of course. I've only had about 9 lessons with instructor.. You don't need to many. I'm takin test as soon as ive done my theory. Oh, and do your theory soon bruv, don't wanna leave that til last minute like me.. :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending