The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1580
booked my 4th test, 2nd march 11.41 meep. failed my last test on thursday in brum :frown: first lesson with new instructor (and new car) in southampton on wednesday hope it goes alright. not going to tell any of my friends/family when my test is, dont want to have to go thru explainin to them how i failed again!!
^ Hope your next one goes well. :smile:

I passed today :biggrin: 9 minors so happy, just need a car now.

Wish everyone best of luck with upcoming tests.:smile:
Original post by Enchanté
^ Hope your next one goes well. :smile:

I passed today :biggrin: 9 minors so happy, just need a car now.

Wish everyone best of luck with upcoming tests.:smile:

What manoever did you get and how was the independent section
Turn in the road which I was chuffed about.
The independent driving was fine. He just asked me to follow the signs towards where I live, easy as I have had to drive home that way sometimes. Then told me to take another road and went in a circle pretty much into the town I was doing my test in.

Apparently I clipped a curb on a tight corner, which I can't recall but that was a steering minor. And I stopped at 2 roundabouts which I had never been round before so was a bit uneasy. the was undue hesitation x2.

Got too close to a veichle was another minor.
Alway my bay park at the end I went a bit too wide and ended up inbetween 2 bays, my own fault I left it too late to steer ha.

Can't remember what other minors were.
Reply 1584
had my first lesson today with new instructor. it was alright, bit worried that my test is only in 7 weeks might need more time. need to get used to the different car (reverse is in the wrong place!) and, he might have just been doing this cos it was the frist lesson but seriously we didnt go anywhere, just round in circles. after nearly every turn he made me pull over to the left, and he just talked so much about my driving, explaining about the clutch and stuff, ive been learnin for two years i know what the clutch is! i need to hold it on the bite more. also theres like a billion traffic lights in southampton grr. its just so frustrating him keep stopping me and talkin i just want to drive! oh well hopefuly the next lesson will be better.
hey guys, i have had 2 lessons with bsm so far and i like my instructor so don't want to change but they are so expensive, (£24 an hour) and well i was checking online and saw this offer by bill plant which is like £56 for 5 lessons... do you guys think i can continue with my bsm but alongside go just for the 5 lessons as they are cheap and means i ll have more practise alongside... or is that not allowed :s-smilie:
Original post by Nadia_001
hey guys, i have had 2 lessons with bsm so far and i like my instructor so don't want to change but they are so expensive, (£24 an hour) and well i was checking online and saw this offer by bill plant which is like £56 for 5 lessons... do you guys think i can continue with my bsm but alongside go just for the 5 lessons as they are cheap and means i ll have more practise alongside... or is that not allowed :s-smilie:

Of course it's allowed but don't do it! Likelihood is that the offer will be for specific 5 lessons i.e., controls, moving off, stopping, junctions all of which you will do with your other instructor.

Stick to one instructor - my advice (as an instructor :smile:)

Emma
Reply 1587
Really pissed with the DSA today had a test drove around for 20minutes examiner says she wasn't well told me to drive back to test center had 0 minors fml :|
Original post by Emma-Ashley
Of course it's allowed but don't do it! Likelihood is that the offer will be for specific 5 lessons i.e., controls, moving off, stopping, junctions all of which you will do with your other instructor.

Stick to one instructor - my advice (as an instructor :smile:)

Emma

Do you have any tips on cracking roundabouts? My instructor's always taking me up on something I do on them, as well as gears at junctions and it's really starting to annoy me, though of course it's my fault. Every time I hear a "could you pull up here please" to explain what I did I groan inwardly. :frown: (I've been driving about 1 year and a half)
Reply 1589
^ I could do with some tips on roundabouts as well, they're a nightmare :frown:
Original post by Rhi93
^ I could do with some tips on roundabouts as well, they're a nightmare :frown:

Make sure you approach the roundabout in 3rd or 2nd gear depending on how busy it is and wether you're likely to have to stop i think.

Always give way to someone already on the roundabout.

Going left: Be in the left lane, indicate left. Check your left an rear view mirror.

Going straight over: be in the left lane and go round the outside quite wide allowing space for drivers in the inside lane to drive at the same time. Don't indicate when approaching the roundabout, but signal left as you pass the exit before the one your going to take. Look left at the exit your signalling past and check your left an rear view mirror.

Going right: be in the right lane, signal right and when safe pull into the inside lane, and like when going straight over indicate left when passing the exit before the one your going to take, look left to check no cars pulling out of it and Check your left an rear view mirror before taking the exit.

Thats everything my instructors taught me :smile:

P.s. Got my practical test tomorow, wish me luck!
15th lesson today. Still can't get the hang of breaking in time to get my MSPSL done! urgh! I think its partly to do with the fact that the first part of the brake is not that strong breaking and the next part is very strong, so I go along and i'm not slowing down enough so i push down harder and almost come to a standstill. So frustrating, i've been having trouble on this from the start and my instrctor says I should be over this by now.
reverse park went OK though.
Original post by museobsessed

Original post by museobsessed
15th lesson today. Still can't get the hang of breaking in time to get my MSPSL done! urgh! I think its partly to do with the fact that the first part of the brake is not that strong breaking and the next part is very strong, so I go along and i'm not slowing down enough so i push down harder and almost come to a standstill. So frustrating, i've been having trouble on this from the start and my instrctor says I should be over this by now.
reverse park went OK though.

Dont worry ive had about 12 lessons now and i have the same problem :frown:
Original post by Hammy1892
Make sure you approach the roundabout in 3rd or 2nd gear depending on how busy it is and wether you're likely to have to stop i think.

Always give way to someone already on the roundabout.

Going left: Be in the left lane, indicate left. Check your left an rear view mirror.

Going straight over: be in the left lane and go round the outside quite wide allowing space for drivers in the inside lane to drive at the same time. Don't indicate when approaching the roundabout, but signal left as you pass the exit before the one your going to take. Look left at the exit your signalling past and check your left an rear view mirror.

Going right: be in the right lane, signal right and when safe pull into the inside lane, and like when going straight over indicate left when passing the exit before the one your going to take, look left to check no cars pulling out of it and Check your left an rear view mirror before taking the exit.

Thats everything my instructors taught me :smile:

got my first practical 2morrow as well!

gd luck!
Reply 1594
Original post by Hammy1892

Good luck! :smile:
Original post by Botticello
Do you have any tips on cracking roundabouts? My instructor's always taking me up on something I do on them, as well as gears at junctions and it's really starting to annoy me, though of course it's my fault. Every time I hear a "could you pull up here please" to explain what I did I groan inwardly. :frown: (I've been driving about 1 year and a half)

Urgh, I have the same problems. I thought I was doing well, but then she said that I had "pushed my way out" at a roundabout, and that totally knocked my confidence for the rest of the lesson (I had plenty of time). I suck at changing gears when coming up to traffic lights, or slowing down, I always forget about gears! Maybe I'd just be better off in an automatic...
Reply 1596
Original post by linkdapink
Urgh, I have the same problems. I thought I was doing well, but then she said that I had "pushed my way out" at a roundabout, and that totally knocked my confidence for the rest of the lesson (I had plenty of time). I suck at changing gears when coming up to traffic lights, or slowing down, I always forget about gears! Maybe I'd just be better off in an automatic...

Or a taxi :tongue:
Original post by Q_M
Or a taxi :tongue:

Its a bit unfair to call Tom a taxi :P , but I NEED to drive before I become a teacher, otherwise I'll be getting a bus in with the pupils :frown:
Reply 1598
i had a pretty bad driving day today, stalled twice and took my instructors wing mirror off...
To those asking about roundabouts - I will post a comprehensive reply once I am back online with my PC so that I am sitting somewhere comfortable and not at a print server on the floor!

B&**$y PC's!

Emma

Latest

Trending

Trending