The Student Room Group
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website

Anyone regret Royal Holloway?

Scroll to see replies

gm15
Hammer guy was caught. Has anyone actually heard of rapes in either of the rape alleys or are they just called that for being dark?

Yes, though it was probably before your time. Also, there was a sexual assault in the graveyard two/three years ago.

Those non-friendly pubs are non-friendly to students in general - although i'm sure they have some racist customers.

You're right.

You can't ssume locals haven't seen a black person just because the majority of locals are white.

Well I'm speaking from personal experience working in Egham for two years. To be honest I just find it amusing because there's nothing malicious about it.

I'm not saying there is no crime just that egham has low crime rates.

I don't disagree with you.
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website
Touched With Fire
I tend not to bother here. You do learn after a short time. If you wanted to go out while you're here, you'd be better off travelling closer to London.

You have just made my uni decision so much easier!

Thanks!
Sweyn Forkbeard
Rape Alley was closed off? I lived in Ilex Close and didn't notice anything.

I must have missed this whole incident. You have to stress that it is the exception rather than the norm however; it's not like every day you have gunmen and rapists rampaging around the local area. I'm sorry that you've had a bad experience here but what has really depressed you about studying at RHUL?

Me, personally? The state of halls. The state of alot of societies - esp. the LGBT which is a shambles - just like the security team here. The fact that if you try switching halls, they'll try charging you all over again for that particular term. The constant theft. The lack of local pubs and clubs which are lively (and which you don't have to queue forever for). The fact that the administrators of my dept' are so unfriendly, unhelpful and sarcastic. The reputation some members of staff have for relationships with students. The fact that my Personal Advisor very rarely knows how to handle any of my queries. The fact you'll get ostracised for being anything other than the norm. The attitude of so many members of teaching staff. The Health Centre - which is absurd (they'll tell you you're not ill, you go elsewhere and they'll tell you that you most definitely are) and keeps losing my bloody paperwork. The fact that when, in my first year, my room-mate kept making remarks about my bisexuality and the fact that I'm Welsh, they moved me - not her (and took a month to do even that) - and basically told her 'it's not very nice'. They aren't good with bullying.
Touched With Fire
Me, personally? The state of halls. The state of alot of societies - esp. the LGBT which is a shambles - just like the security team here. The fact that if you try switching halls, they'll try charging you all over again for that particular term. The constant theft. The lack of local pubs and clubs which are lively (and which you don't have to queue forever for). The fact that the administrators of my dept' are so unfriendly, unhelpful and sarcastic. The reputation some members of staff have for relationships with students. The fact that my Personal Advisor very rarely knows how to handle any of my queries. The fact you'll get ostracised for being anything other than the norm. The attitude of so many members of teaching staff. The Health Centre - which is absurd (they'll tell you you're not ill, you go elsewhere and they'll tell you that you most definitely are) and keeps losing my bloody paperwork. The fact that when, in my first year, my room-mate kept making remarks about my bisexuality and the fact that I'm Welsh, they moved me - not her (and took a month to do even that) - and basically told her 'it's not very nice'. They aren't good with bullying.

i was just gunna ask about the LGBT scene there. sounds awful. :s-smilie:
Daya
Ok, I didn't even apply but I loved the look of it from my research and was really looking forward to the open day and then was so dissapointed when I turned up. Everything about it was aweful, not the kind of place I'd want to be at all.

What made you dislike it?
*Freddy*
You still can, a lot of it's courses are in Extra. I got an offer for not that long ago, (which I'm not going to firm or insure) and I don't have brilliant grades or anything. :top:

Edit: For English Q300 btw, dunno if your course is more competitive.

where are your first 2 choices, if you don't mind me asking?
Elynnor1811
i was just gunna ask about the LGBT scene there. sounds awful. :s-smilie:

Well, my friend was elected to sit as student-staff for the LGBT. Guess how many times they even had a meeting, or even asked her to organise a single thing in her time in that position. That's right: zero. Looks good on your CV, that's all they care about. But, that society does very little in my opinion.
Reply 47
Wow OP, you really don't like the place eh :zomg: I'm sure it has some good points but your bad experience has made you extremely biased.
mel0n
Wow OP, you really don't like the place eh :zomg: I'm sure it has some good points but your bad experience has made you extremely biased.

My intent with this thread was to find out how many were also discontented and why. However, of course, I shall tell you the good points about it as best as I can since you seem to want to know.

Like I said, I'm an atheist, but:
For Muslim students: there is a prayer room in between the laundrette and college shop and the staff surrounding that appear to quite dedicated and I personally have not heard complaints regarding that.
For Christian students: there are two devoted chaplains. The Catholic chaplain, as I said, is really lovely (one of the nicest men I've ever met) and is extremely active in organising groups as best as he can. He also sometimes invites different speakers to the university.
For Jewish students, I'm told that the nearest synagogue is 40 minutes away :/

The wooded area around Founder's is quite pretty. There's a tiny pond there with ducks and waterhens. It's very tranquil and not many students bother with it unless they are walking through it. So, if ever you need quiet, it's a good place to sit.

The basement of the Founder's library - if you go downstairs, turn left, keep walking past all the journals - you'll come to a section of massive German philosophy books and auction catalogues. If you sit there, I promise you will never be disturbed. Nobody goes there.

... I really cannot think of much else that I particularly value. I'm sorry.
I wasn't even aware that there were LGBT women at RHUL until recently when I saw a couple kissing in a queue in the shop.

But I suppose if a scene doesn't interest you then you're not going to be looking for it everywhere.
Sweyn Forkbeard
I wasn't even aware that there were LGBT women at RHUL until recently when I saw a couple kissing in a queue in the shop.

But I suppose if a scene doesn't interest you then you're not going to be looking for it everywhere.

Well, I'm a bisexual woman and I do know a few lesbian/bisexual women here. Not many, but some.
Reply 51
apotoftea
And there were masses of laptop theft from the ground floors of all halls in the year I was there.

Was this because of people leaving doors unlocked? And why the ground floor in particular?
Reply 52
Also, the crime that people are talking about here probably only sounds bad because it's such a small area, when in actual fact it's probably far safer than any city. A sexual assault or two a few years ago? One suicidal gunman having a crazy breakdown? Some hammer attacker several years ago (did he kill anyone btw?)? I faced more danger walking to school.

I suppose the compactness does mean that when there is a psycho nutter, it's more likely to cause a scare and affect you/many. But still. **** happens everywhere.
watchwee
Was this because of people leaving doors unlocked? And why the ground floor in particular?

Windows :wink: All the desks (well they were are in Runnymede) are below the windows.
Reply 54
apotoftea
Windows :wink: All the desks (well they were are in Runnymede) are below the windows.

Oh yeah, that makes sense. I'd hate a room on the ground floor anyway. Sleeping near the ground is wrong unless you're camping. And the perverts can look in :afraid:
watchwee
Oh yeah, that makes sense. I'd hate a room on the ground floor anyway. Sleeping near the ground is wrong unless you're camping. And the perverts can look in :afraid:

:rofl:

There was one guy who never closed his curtains on the ground floor and every weekend when I left for work, you couldn't help but notice him sprawled across his bed. Very strange.
Reply 56
A friend of mine is there at the moment and seems to be loving it. If I'm honest, I can completely see how RHUL might not be some people's cup of tea. But when I visited the other unis I'd recieved offers from, I really just did not get a good, homely vibe from them, unlike RHUL which just felt right.

It's interesting to hear what other people's experiences have been, though. It definitely seems like RHUL could be improved quite a few ways, and hopefully some changes will be instigated sooner rather than later.
llacerta
It's interesting to hear what other people's experiences have been, though. It definitely seems like RHUL could be improved quite a few ways, and hopefully some changes will be instigated sooner rather than later.

I can honestly as a postgrad, given I've studied elsewhere and used various other unis/have friends elsewhere, RHUL's needs to improve on a LOT of things but unfortunately it can rest on the laurels of the London reputation and get away with it.

You'd hope, especially with a new principal coming in. BUT the comments left on the THE webpage arn't exactly positive about his move.

http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/story.asp?sectioncode=26&storycode=410916&c=1
Reply 58
apotoftea
I can honestly as a postgrad, given I've studied elsewhere and used various other unis/have friends elsewhere, RHUL's needs to improve on a LOT of things but unfortunately it can rest on the laurels of the London reputation and get away with it.

You'd hope, especially with a new principal coming in. BUT the comments left on the THE webpage arn't exactly positive about his move.

http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/story.asp?sectioncode=26&storycode=410916&c=1

That's a great shame, then. One of the things that attracted me to RHUL was the way that they weren't so driven, so to speak...It's difficult to describe, but like for example when I went to visit Exeter it was all about getting the best place in the league tables and that kind of thing, and when I spoke to the head of department for my subject about the very high offer I'd been made, she said that if she had control she'd lower it but wasn't able to because of how the university wants to stay high in the league tables. It was the same kind of thing at Warwick, it seemed to be all about self-promotion, which is fair enough to a certain extent because universities are businesses in a way and to do well they have to advertise.

But at RHUL it seemed less commercial, less pushy as it were. I guess that's why it felt more like home to me, rather than a business. On the other hand, the facilities at Warwick and Exeter are better than at RHUL overall, and it sounds like RHUL has some problems that Warwick and Exeter don't have to such an extent. Maybe their approach is the correct one. It just didn't appeal to me, though.
llacerta
That's a great shame, then. One of the things that attracted me to RHUL was the way that they weren't so driven, so to speak...It's difficult to describe, but like for example when I went to visit Exeter it was all about getting the best place in the league tables and that kind of thing, and when I spoke to the head of department for my subject about the very high offer I'd been made, she said that if she had control she'd lower it but wasn't able to because of how the university wants to stay high in the league tables. It was the same kind of thing at Warwick, it seemed to be all about self-promotion, which is fair enough to a certain extent because universities are businesses in a way and to do well they have to advertise.

But at RHUL it seemed less commercial, less pushy as it were. I guess that's why it felt more like home to me, rather than a business. On the other hand, the facilities at Warwick and Exeter are better than at RHUL overall, and it sounds like RHUL has some problems that Warwick and Exeter don't have to such an extent. Maybe their approach is the correct one. It just didn't appeal to me, though.

See - RHUL felt like a badly run business to me, literally concerned about money and nothing else or in the case of tutors, their own self-imposed egos.

I think with Exeter (from my brief experiences) it's actually a very good uni and they're hoping to build on what they've achieved so far.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending