The Student Room Group
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website

Anyone regret Royal Holloway?

Scroll to see replies

I have had experience with tutors not responding to emails. Last year wasn't too bad with stuff like that - you'd almost always get a reply. But, this year seems to have gone down hill. And when they do respond they pass you onto someone else.
For example, with my 3rd year options which I had to choose very recently, I wanted to be allowed to sit two half units in one term (along with three whole) - which isn't usually done since it means a lot of work in one term. The administrator didn't know if I could so said I should be asking my Personal Advisor and not to 'pass such queries onto [her]'. I asked my Personal Advisor (who is the one in charge of actually signing the options forms), who said he didn't know and said we'd have to ask the administrator :s-smilie:
Eventually he said 'the adminstrator isn't sure, leave it with me and I'll email you with an answer tomorrow'. Three days later I was chasing him up.
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website
Sweyn Forkbeard
I remember you mentioned how poor you thought the tutors were a long time ago and I have given that some thought and realised you were right to an extent. There are some very committed history tutors in the department, but there are others who put their personal research and publicity interests above teaching the next generation of students.

Exactly - they're not ALL bad and there are some very good committed tutors up there, but they are in the minority I think.

This year, for example, a tutor was given an opportunity to work on a radio history programme and (apparently) left their course to be run by a postgrad who was not consulted on how it should be managed and taught the course in an entirely different way. The result being that the students are going into exams having to do a lot more work than they should.

I think I know who you're talking about and tbh it wouldn't surprise me from what I've heard on the gossip grape vine :wink:

I guess what annoyed and still annoys me is that there is SO much going for that department but it's been ruined on some levels and that's really sad for the students who think they're getting the best when really they're not :frown:
Reply 82
hmm... im getting worried now hearing about all this... anything on the crim/sociology dept??
xxx
andrea (:
hmm... im getting worried now hearing about all this... anything on the crim/sociology dept??
xxx

I really don't know about that one, sorry :s-smilie:
Reply 84
Touched With Fire
Many students I've talked to regret it. As for Founders ('the castle', as you call it), it's unhygenic, high noise levels for much of the time, alot of theft goes on pretty much everyday and the security team there are a shambles.

I currently live in Founders and would disagree with a lot of this. Ok, the pantries could be nicer, but I've never had a problem with using them, nor do I find it particularly unpleasant to live in. There are the occasions where certain individuals have pizza in the night, then leave all their rubbish in the hallways which is annoying but not unbearable. Noise is generally fine I find, and if there are any problems Security are quite efficient at sorting it out. Theft is for me, pretty much unheard of, other than food in the pantry. But I was able to leave milk in a fridge for a term, and it was fine. Well, it went off because I never used it, but it wasn't stolen either, and my roomate has a habit of leaving the door unlocked when he goes places. I'm sure he went to tesco with the door left open once- which is 20 mins there and back, and all our stuff has been fine. Security tend to be pretty efficient at their job from our experience as well in Founders and far from a "shambles".

This said, I really do think that Royal Holloway is not for everyone. I know a lot of people who have dropped out over a multitude of courses, and I think it depends on what you want from a university.
Reply 85
andrea (:
xxx

Ignore it...most of it is exageration or just the experiences of a few people.

Although the lobraries could do with a lot of improvement
Reply 86
I guess I've been lucky with the lecturers and personal advisor I have. My Personal advisor whilst slow to hand things back and generally disorganised is a nice guy and was genuinely happy to help with any problems. He's had not so good personal circumstances this year but made sure to schedule things to make up for some absence and apologised. There is some effort to improve things as they've apparently made the personal advisor responsible for the H&M seminars so that we can get to know them more in case of problems. Not something that happened in previous years. (According to said personal tutor)

That said organisation is not always top notch, I wasn't even asigned a personal advisor at the start of term and then when I was given one they changed it again a day later. I also had to chase up the time of the seminar as the tutor didn't have me on his email list. :rolleyes:
Reply 87
gm15
Ignore it...most of it is exageration or just the experiences of a few people.

Although the lobraries could do with a lot of improvement

I did think so :smile: after reading a few more posts..
My boyf and his sister used to go so its all been good feedback :smile:
xxx
Reply 88
This is kinda scaring me...hows the psychology department? Just when I thought I would put RHUL as my insurance over warwick but reading all this is making me change my mind...
I only joined The Student Room very recently as I have just started studying again (Diploma in Law at the College of Law in Guildford). It is only by chance I stumbled upon this thread and thought I'd provide some views.

I went to Royal Holloway from 1993 to 1997. I lived in Founders for my first year, Highfield Court for most of my 2nd year (from Xmas onwards, it had just been built and they needed people to go in) and Kingswood I in my final year. I also did a year in industry between in 3rd year.

Overall, many of the problems identified here are no different to "back then". Food was always stolen from the communal kitchens in the large halls - I even once had garlic bread nabbed from the oven while it was cooking! (Founders).

Founders was always fairly noisy - particularly as I lived on the main corridor between the health centre and the canteen entrance (E151 - its now an office!). However it did have a good atmosphere, and everyone got to know each other over time.

Its interesting it is now the cheapest hall - "in my day" it was the second most expensive (after Runneymead) as everyone wanted to live in the dreamy spires. Also, many of the other halls on campus (Athlone, Cameron, Williamson) were breeze block nightmares. They have now been replaced by all the Chelsea flats - which probably make people feel a little isolated. There was nothing like a long corridor of people to break the ice.

I agree that they have always been slightly money focused. The best example was in my first month there. They had "accidently" oversubscribed and we ended up with 110 people sleeping on mattresses on the floors of other peoples rooms. There is always a drop out rate at the start - and I suspect this was to fill the gap. I had a guy sleeping on my floor for a month until a room became free. He was one of the last - but it was good to actually meet someone literally within the first 30 seconds of finding your room. This episode did give the Dean of Students at the time a real headache (parents were up in arms as well) - and they never pulled that stunt again.

My biggest criticism today is that the campus has grown too big. When I was there - max was 3500 students. I think now there are above 10,000? The facilities are too piled up on top of each other and the relaxed atmosphere has gone.

As for PC's being nicked - this is a sign of the times. In the 90's - no-one had laptops, and only us physics/computer science people had a PC in our rooms. Best advice is to buy a computer lock and chain - screw to underside of the desk (so the college cannot complain about holes etc.) Also - back your work up regularly on a memory stick you keep separately from your PC.

However, I am on a course with recent grads and am amazed at the amount of tech people have. I was in business before and 4 years ago got a Blackberry (at the age of 32). Now, every student has iPhones, iPods, wireless laptops etc. etc. The most advanced item of mobile technology I had in Founders was a leaver arch file :-)

I did get a mobile in my final year (only about 25% campus did then) but these were analogue at the time. Between 5pm and 7pm you could not make any calls as the campus was in the same cell as the M25. Got network busy all the time.....

Egham itself is ok. There has always been a bit of friction with locals (as with any university!) and there was always the occasional incident. The Railway Inn used to be a BNP pub, but is now a trendy wine bar place. College Security (bless!) would probably have a heart attach if they had to chase anyone. However, as there were not that many places - this is what made the SU bars on campus very powerful. In my experience, not many Uni's had such good student run bars. Appears things are different now?

At the end of day - Uni is about meeting people and getting on with life. What you make of it often has very little to do with the bricks and mortar of the buildings you are in, or the town itself. If you do not think you fit in - the chances are that everyone on your corridor feels exactly the same, regardless of what they say! And if you don't get on with them - there happens to be a few other (thousands) people to get to know.

Oh - and when I was on campus last year for the 90's reunion....what was it that really shocked us???? Seing an Ocado van turn up on campus and do a food delivery to one of the Chelsea flats! Whatever happened to stomping down Egham Hill to go to Somerfields ;-)
Reply 90
smart_but_casual

My biggest criticism today is that the campus has grown too big. When I was there - max was 3500 students. I think now there are above 10,000? The facilities are too piled up on top of each other and the relaxed atmosphere has gone.

At the end of day - Uni is about meeting people and getting on with life. What you make of it often has very little to do with the bricks and mortar of the buildings you are in, or the town itself. If you do not think you fit in - the chances are that everyone on your corridor feels exactly the same, regardless of what they say! And if you don't get on with them - there happens to be a few other (thousands) people to get to know.

I believe it's actually only around 8,000 maximum. And I found the campus atmosphere to be pretty relaxed even during the week, though obviously more so at the weekend. RH is tiny in comparison to some of the other universities I've visited, both in terms of campus size and student population.

I agree with this other paragraph though, it's the people you're with who make the experience, and there are fortunately plenty of people to meet at university!
Reply 91
rose107327
This is kinda scaring me...hows the psychology department? Just when I thought I would put RHUL as my insurance over warwick but reading all this is making me change my mind...

Every university has its problems, Warwick included. This is a thread solely for talking about such problems, after all. The psychology department was one of the things that really drew me to RHUL over Warwick (I too had offers from both and had to choose between them). Though RHUL's psych department isn't absolutely AMAZING or anything, it's pretty strong, got good research ratings, good facilities, etc., whilst Warwick, though a very good university overall, I found to really lack in the psychology department. It depends what areas of psychology you're interested in, though, because studying at either department is probably going to be good either way, and you'll get a good degree at either university. If I were you, I'd chose the place which you're most comfortable and at home, and where you think you'll be happiest (though obviously you'd prefer to go to your firm. :p:)
rose107327

Dont let it - a lot of what has been said in here has been a bit dramatic. The Psychology dept is very good - its higher than Warwick in the Times league table and the students I know there seem happy.
Reply 93
I don't regret it. I learnt that going to job interviews that your degree isn't as important as one would think. For my job I have in an advertising agency in London, they didn't ask one question at all regarding my education. It was all about experience.
Reply 94
I visited last summer and really liked the vibe and campus
(edited 11 years ago)
It's all exxagerated, I've been living in Founder's and haven't experienced or seen any of that :/
Reply 96
XYZ2002
I am kind of scared now hearing all the bad stuff... I put Royal Holloway as my insurance and I visited last summer and really liked the vibe and campus but hearing all this stuff especially the racism, sexual assault ETC. is a huge turnoff,

Like i said to somebody else...ignore it. Its a mix of exageration and people using one or two cases (probably months or years apart) to make out those things are common.

There is racism everywhere in the world: i'd hardly say its rampant on campus or even in town. I have never witnessesd any racism verbal or physical. Do you really think so many international students would coem here if racism was as common here as some make out?

As for crime like i've said its one of the lowest crime areas in one of the lowest crime counties in the entire country.
Chances are the worst crime you will experience in halls is somebody using your milk.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 97
Royal Holloway is consistently rated the safest campus in the UK.
XYZ2002
I am kind of scared now hearing all the bad stuff... I put Royal Holloway as my insurance and I visited last summer and really liked the vibe and campus but hearing all this stuff especially the racism, sexual assault ETC. is a huge turnoff,

Lol I'm sorry but RHUL is consistently seen as one of the safest campus universities. Racism? Its not a very good place to be racist, since its more or less a massive international and multicultural community. I've never heard of any racist incidents in my time there.
And sexual assault? I wasnt even aware of that incident until I read this thread - which has made RHUL seem like one massive crime hub. Everything in here is totally exagerrated.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 99
Antonia87
Lol I'm sorry but RHUL is consistently seen as one of the safest campus universities. Racism? Its not a very good place to be racist, since its more or less a massive international and multicultural community. I've never heard of any racist incidents in my time there.
And sexual assault? I wasnt even aware of that incident until I read this thread - which has made RHUL seem like one massive crime hub. Everything in here is totally exagerrated.

I know I think the moderators should remove it tbh as its obviously not true!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending