The Student Room Group
Reply 1
I don't think people pay them as much attention as at the other place - there are a few I'm aware of from reading TCS/Varsity, but they're not as infamous as your lot seem to be. Maybe I move in the wrong circles?
Reply 2
H&E
Do your hacks have the same terrible rep the Union obsessives have at Oxford? The Tabsville Union really seems to be on a much smaller scale than the Oxford version, so am curious as to whether people actually mind them.

They don't seem to have a bad rep in Cambridge, or at least not that I've noticed. They're supposed to be apolitical, so they're only vocal in their own chambers.

By the way, is the Oxford Union more famous, because I thought the Cambridge Union was the original on which it was based? Just curious, as I believe I had only heard of the Oxford Union before I went to university.
if you go to the union regularly then you know who's around. Some try and make a names for themselves but often just look stupid.

MB
sbailey
They don't seem to have a bad rep in Cambridge, or at least not that I've noticed. They're supposed to be apolitical, so they're only vocal in their own chambers.

By the way, is the Oxford Union more famous, because I thought the Cambridge Union was the original on which it was based? Just curious, as I believe I had only heard of the Oxford Union before I went to university.

The Cambridge Union is older, the Oxford Union is more well known.
Reply 5
JohnStuartMill
The Cambridge Union is older, the Oxford Union is more well known.

I guess that's because Oxford is the first choice for would-be politicians.
Reply 6
These days, it's because the Oxford Union has a lot more money, so they can afford to attract stars by doing stuff like putting them up in suites at the Randolph.
sbailey
I guess that's because Oxford is the first choice for would-be politicians.

IE its full of sleazy, lying scumbags... sounds about right! :p:
H&E
These days, it's because the Oxford Union has a lot more money, so they can afford to attract stars by doing stuff like putting them up in suites at the Randolph.

^^ This is certainly true. I believe the Oxford Union pays for all of the teams it enters into the Worlds University Debating Championships whereas the Cambridge Union only pays for its first two(?) teams. The Oxford Union indeed has a lot more money.
Reply 9
Yeah the Cambridge Union seems pretty small. Though apparently Cambrudge Union members can attend Oxford Union events?
Reply 10
homoterror
Yeah the Cambridge Union seems pretty small. Though apparently Cambrudge Union members can attend Oxford Union events?

That would be cool, because I've got a lifetime membership with the Cambridge Union (why??!) and could find myself in Oxford for 3 years after I finish preclinical.

Seems a bit unfair that Oxford have more money, given our Union is older and just as successful in debating competitions. Where did we go wrong? :frown:

Oh well, I'm not very involved with the Union anyway. I only turn up to see famous people like Patrick Stewart, not to hear debates :p:
Reply 11
sbailey
They're supposed to be apolitical, so they're only vocal in their own chambers.

Most of them are CUCA members (and usually future CUCA exec members). I think a few CULC folk are involved now too - Marrowsmith ran on Rupert's slate.
Reply 12
I believe the cambridge union is stil at least partly a debating society, while at oxford from what i hear thats a very minor part of its activities.

Latest

Trending

Trending