The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Cowardly, selfish etc

Unless it is somehow noble, diving on a grenade or something.
The freedom to choose to end your own life should be a basic human right.
Reply 3
one less mouth to feed
Ultimate act of selfishness.
Reply 5
It's selfish, hurtful to the people who love you, and definitely cowardly

imo :P
i see it as God gives you life & God takes life, therefore its up to God when you leave the world, not something you should take into your own hands & take the gift that God gave you. But thats just me :smile:
Reply 7
TheBlindestPilot
Ultimate act of selfishness.

What if the person had no family? Would you still consider it selfish? Would you still consider it immoral if there was no familial/friendship ties?
Reply 8
My mum tried when i was around 4.
Sometimes i believe she was selfish..
But then i remember my dad had just left her, with no house and a 4 year old child to look after with no/low money.. she had to move cities and get a job and somehow got a house and now were fine. So i respect and love her for it =]

People only generally think "omg how selfish" when they have never been in the situation before, i don't think anyone that has been that bad that they want to kill themselves will be walking around afterwards calling similar people selfish.
Every person has the right to end their own life, much the same as they have the right to preserve it.

Cowardly? sometimes perhaps but stupidly presumptuous to generalise like that. Selfish? perhaps, but again not always. There is so much more behind suicide than someone waking up and thinking 'I would quite like to die today'.
I kinda get why some people think it's selfish to commit suicide, but think about it. Most people that do it must have some sort of severe mental illness, so it's not completely their fault, they're just not completely right in the head. I have some sympathy for them, and hope that they could have a bit of will to get some help first.
Reply 11
Vybz Kartel
i see it as God gives you life & God takes life, therefore its up to God when you leave the world, not something you should take into your own hands & take the gift that God gave you. But thats just me :smile:

Out of curiosity, if you get hit by a truck by accident, do you see that as someone taking your life, or God deciding that you get hit by a truck?

What distinguishes when you or somebody else takes you life, and when God takes your life?

As motivation, I'll bring out the:

Reply 12
Sometimes when I get depressed I feel like suicide.
Reply 13
Suicide booths anyone?
n1r4v
Out of curiosity, if you get hit by a truck by accident, do you see that as someone taking your life, or God deciding that you get hit by a truck?

Hmmm thats a grey area, my answer was just about suicide, but in a situation like this i don't know.
Edit: LMAO i jus noticed the Roflcopter lol, i had to retire it because i got 5, yes 5! warning points for it :frown:
Blátönn
What if the person had no family? Would you still consider it selfish? Would you still consider it immoral if there was no familial/friendship ties?

Well in that unlikely circumstance then no, it isn't. And I didn't mention the morality of it.
i'm not sure, I'll try it sometime and let you know :yep:
lol at all the fools who think its selfish to commit suicide. If a person wants to end his/her own life, whats the problem?
Reply 18
Anyone who says it is selfish is a fool. For any normal person, yes, it's totally comprehendible why people would view it as selfish. But for anyone suffering from a mental illness who commits suicide, it is not selfish - they are ill, and their mind does not function properly, everything is incredibly messed up in their head. My uncle suffers from manic depression, he has to be carefully watched when he's ill because he has tried to kill himself before, and when he's ill there is nothing he wants more than to die. But when he's well, he wouldn't dream of it, and is genuinely so shocked when we tell him what he did or tried to do (once he's better again his memory of when he was ill is totally gone, it's strange, to him it's just a gap in his life each time he comes out of it). The statistic of suicides that are committed by a mentally ill person is almost 100%, whether it be something extreme like manic depression or something milder like depression. I don't know, I think anyone who just outright says 'suicide is selfish and cowardly' straight out doesn't comprehend or understand anything outside of 'normal'. You can never, ever assume you know what's going on inside a persons head.
Astro Boy
Hello.

You may have not realised but suicide is ever increasing and depression is a serious mental illness over a range of levels.

Many folk say suicide is the cowards way out; I for one beg to differ. What are your views on the reasons why people turn to this, the want to leave the wanting to end whatever they have.

If you believe it is or not the cowards way out, then why?

I think about doing it everyday for months at a time. But obviously haven't yet. I've had long bouts of severe depression for nearly 9 years and I'm only 22 now. I've been hospitalised because of my bipolar disorder. Personally, I think those that say it is cowardly and who have never felt such despair constantly are blatantly ill-informed and unexperienced when it comes to those oppressive feelings. When you want to do it everyday for months and hold on for your family because you don't want them to hurt because of you, yet you feel so sad that it feels as though the sadness itself will kill you slowly if you don't kill yourself...I can understand why some ultimately do it.

Latest

Trending

Trending