The Student Room Group

Shakespeare Question

I'm deciding on writing my EPQ and want to write about how mental illness and madness is explored in Shakespeare but I want enough substantial plays to write about. I have Hamlet, Macbeth and King Lear (I can't write about Othello because of my A-Level) are there any other plays I could explore?
perhaps you can talk about how shakespeare potrays women's mental health in his female characters like Lady Macbeth and Ophelia (which you already have from macbeth and hamlet) but also in Juliet from Romeo and Juliet and Cleopatra from Antony and Cleopatra. And also more interestingly how all these 4 female figures end up committing suicide of some sort in order so they fit the 16th and 17th century patriachal views of women being hyperemotional as all of them indicate signs of having some sort of mental illness and being unable to cope with it. Hope this helps!
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by heartz4moushi
perhaps you can talk about how shakespeare potrays women's mental health in his female characters like Lady Macbeth and Ophelia (which you already have from macbeth and hamlet) but also in Juliet from Romeo and Juliet and Cleopatra from Antony and Cleopatra. And also more interestingly how all these 4 female figures end up committing suicide of some sort in order so they fit the 16th and 17th century patriachal views of women being hyperemotional as all of them to indicate signs of having some sort of mental illness. Hope this helps!

oo thats actually really interesting! I really like that! Thankyou so much! That actually is so interesting and useful for my selection as I can link to comparisons of 21st century easier which i was struggling to think of and helps me streamline my question thankyou!!
Original post by jilliams44
oo thats actually really interesting! I really like that! Thankyou so much! That actually is so interesting and useful for my selection as I can link to comparisons of 21st century easier which i was struggling to think of and helps me streamline my question thankyou!!

ofccc!💗

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending