The Student Room Group

Basic Irrotational Flow Question

Sup TSR?

I have a question early on in an exam paper that I don't know how to answer, here goes:

If a velocity field u is irrotational, what equation does u satisfy? Show that if u = ϕ \nabla \phi , then the flow is irrotational for any ϕ(x,y)\phi(x, y)

I know that for it to be irrotational that it has to be that the curl of u equals zero, that's about it. Help answering the second part please.

Thanks.
Reply 1
It's easy to do it if you go into suffix notation.

[×ϕ]i=ϵijkxiϕxj[\nabla \times \nabla \phi]_i = \epsilon_{ijk} \frac{\partial}{\partial x_i} \frac{\partial \phi}{\partial x_j} .

It is easy to show that this equals zero due to the fact that 2ϕxixj=2ϕxjxi\frac{\partial^2 \phi}{\partial x_i \partial x_j}= \frac{\partial^2 \phi}{\partial x_j \partial x_i} and ϵijk\epsilon_{ijk} is anti symmetric.

If you need any more help, just quote and post back and ill do my best to help
Reply 2
lilman91
It's easy to do it if you go into suffix notation.

[×ϕ]i=ϵijkxiϕxj[\nabla \times \nabla \phi]_i = \epsilon_{ijk} \frac{\partial}{\partial x_i} \frac{\partial \phi}{\partial x_j} .

It is easy to show that this equals zero due to the fact that 2ϕxixj=2ϕxjxi\frac{\partial^2 \phi}{\partial x_i \partial x_j}= \frac{\partial^2 \phi}{\partial x_j \partial x_i} and ϵijk\epsilon_{ijk} is anti symmetric.

If you need any more help, just quote and post back and ill do my best to help

Ok, so I guess then that we're trying to show ×u=×ϕ=0\nabla \times u = \nabla \times \nabla \phi = 0 .

What is the epsilon notation that you are using? Cheers for the help btw, I'll rep afterwards :yep:
Reply 3
Shadow!
Ok, so I guess then that we're trying to show ×u=×ϕ=0\nabla \times u = \nabla \times \nabla \phi = 0 .

What is the epsilon notation that you are using? Cheers for the help btw, I'll rep afterwards :yep:

εijk\varepsilon_{ijk} is the Levi-Civita symbol and is incredibly useful with this kind of thing. Are you familiar with suffix notation? Because I don't think you can represent the cross product of two vectors in suffix notation without it (not easily at least).
Reply 4
nuodai
εijk\varepsilon_{ijk} is the Levi-Civita symbol and is incredibly useful with this kind of thing. Are you familiar with suffix notation? Because I don't think you can represent the cross product of two vectors in suffix notation without it (not easily at least).

I can say that I have never met that symbol before, it seems a bit strange that this entire question is only worth a couple of marks. If it's hard to write without the Levi-Civita symbol then perhaps there's another way considering the few marks it is worth? Thanks.
Reply 5
You could just quote the result that ×ϕ=0\nabla \times \nabla \phi = 0 for all (continuously twice-differentiable) functions ϕ\phi. Or expand the whole thing out in components with mixed partials...

Latest