The Student Room Group

Help with BA accounting and finance modules

I’m in my second year, doing accounting and finance.
Any tips on how i can revise for financial reporting as I find it very tricky. And also peformance management. I need some advice as I know I’m deffo resitting them as I did extremely terrible in the exams.
Reply 1
Start making notes as you go along, they are going to help you for reference when practicing .. If you do this you should be able to analyze and interpret information on how each transaction will affect the statement of profit and loss, financial position, cash flow and disclosure. If you are thorough with this then your first milestone is achieved and have covered 50% of the work. Another thing is practice from the revision kit. I would recommend BPP for practice. Revision kit question are similar to exam questions. Revision kit is going to help you develop exam techniques crucial for F7. You'll discover that many of the exam questions resemble your practice material. Answer the question before looking for the answer; do not read the question and then look for the answer. Your ability to evaluate and develop an exam strategy will improve as a result. As you read through the questions, there will be situations that you won't be able to understand; this is where your notes will save the day.

I wish you well in your examinations. Cheers.
Reply 2
Forecasting and accounting are important aspects of financial management and provide valuable insights for decision-making and monitoring the financial health of a business. Here's a brief overview of forecasting and accounting in finance:

Forecasting:
Forecasting involves making predictions or estimates of future financial outcomes based on historical data, current trends, and various assumptions. It helps businesses plan and set realistic goals, anticipate potential challenges, and make informed decisions. There are different types of forecasts, including:

1) Sales Forecast: Estimates future sales revenue based on market trends, historical data, and sales projections. It helps in production planning, budgeting, and resource allocation.

2) Cash Flow Forecast: Predicts the inflows and outflows of cash over a specific period, typically on a monthly or quarterly basis. It helps businesses assess their liquidity, plan for working capital needs, and identify potential cash flow gaps.

3) Expense Forecast: Estimates future expenses, including operational costs, overheads, and other expenditures. It helps in budgeting, cost control, and assessing the financial impact of different scenarios.

4) Financial Statement Forecast: Projects the financial statements of a business, including the income statement, balance sheet, and cash flow statement. It provides a comprehensive view of the business's financial performance and helps in assessing profitability, solvency, and financial stability.

Accounting:
1) Accounting is the process of recording, summarizing, analyzing, and reporting financial transactions of a business. It involves maintaining accurate financial records and preparing financial statements, which provide insights into a company's financial position and performance. Key components of accounting include:

2) Recording Transactions: Transactions, such as sales, purchases, expenses, and receipts, are recorded in the accounting system using various methods, such as double-entry bookkeeping. This ensures that every transaction has an appropriate debit and credit entry and maintains the balance of accounts.

3) Financial Statements: Financial statements, including the income statement, balance sheet, and cash flow statement, are prepared based on the recorded transactions. These statements provide a snapshot of a company's financial performance, position, and cash flow activities.

4) Financial Analysis: Financial analysis involves interpreting and analyzing the financial statements to assess the business's profitability, liquidity, solvency, and efficiency. It helps identify trends, strengths, weaknesses, and areas for improvement.

5) Compliance and Reporting: Accounting ensures compliance with financial reporting standards and regulations. Financial statements are prepared in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP) or international financial reporting standards (IFRS) to provide accurate and reliable information to stakeholders, including investors, lenders, and regulators.

6) Decision Support: Accounting information plays a crucial role in decision-making. It helps businesses evaluate investment opportunities, assess the financial viability of projects, determine pricing strategies, and measure the return on investment (ROI).

By combining forecasting and accounting, businesses can gain a better understanding of their financial performance, make informed decisions, and effectively manage their resources to achieve their financial goals.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending