The Student Room Group

Is it rude to tell a lecturer you don’t like the way they structure seminars?

I’m a second year English Lit student and I’m not getting on well with the way one of the lecturers structures his seminars at all. I’m heading for a first (71-80% on all assignments so far) so I’m not stupid but I leave all of his seminars feeling stupid. Yesterday I felt so frustrated after the seminar I had a little cry in the gym changing cubicle which I realise is pathetic.

He basically creates a print out with a series of set questions on it and with a subject like literature, I don’t think it flows very well at all. It always makes me feel like I’m in an exam or something and I get tongue tied and freeze up. Another lecturer doesn’t do this with his two seminars, he’ll just freely ask us what we thought of the text as an opening gambit when then opens up a lot of dialogue and it flows really well. I always leave his seminars feeling good because I made a lot of decent points and bounced off other students.

I don’t really know what to do about it because it’s making me not want to attend his seminars at all anymore. Is it worth mentioning it to him or do I just go on feeling this frustration? I don’t want him to think I’m a rude ***** but I’m equally considering just not going to them anymore which I know isn’t good either…
Original post by Sarte
I’m a second year English Lit student and I’m not getting on well with the way one of the lecturers structures his seminars at all. I’m heading for a first (71-80% on all assignments so far) so I’m not stupid but I leave all of his seminars feeling stupid. Yesterday I felt so frustrated after the seminar I had a little cry in the gym changing cubicle which I realise is pathetic.

He basically creates a print out with a series of set questions on it and with a subject like literature, I don’t think it flows very well at all. It always makes me feel like I’m in an exam or something and I get tongue tied and freeze up. Another lecturer doesn’t do this with his two seminars, he’ll just freely ask us what we thought of the text as an opening gambit when then opens up a lot of dialogue and it flows really well. I always leave his seminars feeling good because I made a lot of decent points and bounced off other students.

I don’t really know what to do about it because it’s making me not want to attend his seminars at all anymore. Is it worth mentioning it to him or do I just go on feeling this frustration? I don’t want him to think I’m a rude ***** but I’m equally considering just not going to them anymore which I know isn’t good either…

Perhaps a better question would be: Why does a "print out with a series of set questions on it" cause you to "get tongue tied and freeze up"?

As you say, you're clearly bright. Do you suffer from a lack of confidence when speaking within a group? In the free-flowing seminars which you enjoy, do you tend to volunteer your opinion first? Or do you wait for others to do so and then join in, once you've confirmed that your opinions are valid?
Reply 2
I think he is unlikely to change his whole system because you don't like his way of doing it. How do other students on your course find it? Is it definitely the structure or could it be the attitude of the lecturer that makes you feel stupid? So that you don't feel confident speaking out in front of him? Does he put you on the spot or belittle or dismiss what you say?
I definitely don't think you should stop going but I think you need to work out exactly what is making you lose your confidence. Then, knowing that you probably won't be able to change him or his system, think about what you can do to try to improve your confidence in his seminars. Can you take a step back within the seminar? Can you be even more prepared? Can you talk to other students, say you're struggling with it and see if they have any advice on how they handle it? Can you talk to a student ambassador from your subject and see if they have any advice?
Reply 3
Original post by DataVenia
Perhaps a better question would be: Why does a "print out with a series of set questions on it" cause you to "get tongue tied and freeze up"?

As you say, you're clearly bright. Do you suffer from a lack of confidence when speaking within a group? In the free-flowing seminars which you enjoy, do you tend to volunteer your opinion first? Or do you wait for others to do so and then join in, once you've confirmed that your opinions are valid?

I offer up my opinions first usually so no, I don’t suffer with lack of confidence at all. I’m really outspoken in the other seminars.

The print out questions cause me to freeze up because it feels like a structured exam whereas in the other seminars where it’s a case of ‘what did you make of the text’ or ‘what did you think of x character’, we all bounce ideas off one another and it makes it kind of fun.
Original post by Sarte
I offer up my opinions first usually so no, I don’t suffer with lack of confidence at all. I’m really outspoken in the other seminars.

The print out questions cause me to freeze up because it feels like a structured exam whereas in the other seminars where it’s a case of ‘what did you make of the text’ or ‘what did you think of x character’, we all bounce ideas off one another and it makes it kind of fun.

How do you think you might react if the print outs asked those same questions: ‘what did you make of the text’ or ‘what did you think of x character’?

Do you tend to suffer from anxiety during exams?
Reply 5
Original post by JackSan123
I think he is unlikely to change his whole system because you don't like his way of doing it. How do other students on your course find it? Is it definitely the structure or could it be the attitude of the lecturer that makes you feel stupid? So that you don't feel confident speaking out in front of him? Does he put you on the spot or belittle or dismiss what you say?
I definitely don't think you should stop going but I think you need to work out exactly what is making you lose your confidence. Then, knowing that you probably won't be able to change him or his system, think about what you can do to try to improve your confidence in his seminars. Can you take a step back within the seminar? Can you be even more prepared? Can you talk to other students, say you're struggling with it and see if they have any advice on how they handle it? Can you talk to a student ambassador from your subject and see if they have any advice?

I’ve only spoken to one other student about it and he agreed with me, that he always prefers the other seminars which feel more relaxed and have a fun atmosphere because we’re all bouncing free-flowing ideas around.

He doesn’t belittle anyone, he’s a nice guy. I do prepare in advance for the questions but he’s changed the questions twice when we’ve got to the seminar so that’s obviously very frustrating.
Reply 6
Original post by DataVenia
How do you think you might react if the print outs asked those same questions: ‘what did you make of the text’ or ‘what did you think of x character’?

Do you tend to suffer from anxiety during exams?

We don’t have exams within English Lit but I don’t suffer with anxiety with exams generally, no. I guess because that’s writing and writing is a strength. Not that talking isn’t but I don’t like feeling forced to give certain answers, I’d rather be able to offer up more free flowing dialogue if that makes sense?
Reply 7
It sounds like you just prefer things to be less structured and don't want to be led in particular directions. Do you think you could start from the questions and just lead things more where you'd like them to go by making a connection between the question and what you'd rather talk about? The lecturer may think the structure is helpful (maybe to students not as able as you are) or to keep the conversation flowing or he might think it's important to cover certain points - maybe you could ask him if it's ok for you to go off on a tangent from his questions and to lead the conversation elsewhere with a few examples of the sorts of thing you had in mind. You can then get an understanding perhaps of why he thinks the questions are necessary and how you can work with/around it.
I think most people would definitely consider it rude, offensive and insulting to be told that their teaching style is dog shíte. Moreover, saying such is very unlikely to actually make him change the way he teaches, especially if that's been his approach for many years. Also, without knowing what the class is truly like myself I'd say that having a more structured style isn't necessarily a bad thing, it might not be best suited to you, but that doesn't always mean it's objectively bad...there may be other people that benefit greatly from a more structured approach than a discussion/conversation style. Again, without knowing the whole context myself it seems like you have more of a block and fear of exam formats and maybe you can do some work on trying to dismantle the anxiety you feel about that. Perhaps doing past papers or even just reading exam questions more often to familiarise yourself with the questions and style could help you to feel less trepidation.
(edited 4 months ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Sorcerer of Old
I think most people would definitely consider it rude, offensive and insulting to be told that their teaching style is dog shíte. Moreover, saying such is very unlikely to actually make him change the way he teaches, especially if that's been his approach for many years. Also, without knowing what the class is truly like myself I'd say that having a more structured style isn't necessarily a bad thing, it might not be best suited to you, but that doesn't always mean it's objectively bad...there may be other people that benefit greatly from a more structured approach than a discussion/conversation style. Again, without knowing the whole context myself it seems like you have more of a block and fear of exam formats and maybe you can do some work on trying to dismantle the anxiety you feel about that. Perhaps doing past papers or even just reading exam questions more often to familiarise yourself with the questions and style could help you to feel less trepidation.

We don’t have exams in English lit, it’s all assignment based. When I had actual exams in school and college, I didn’t freeze up and did really well so it isn’t an exam fear. I guess I just don’t like the way he structures the seminars, they don’t flow very well. Could be an issue with the seminar group as well, maybe we don’t gel as well as other seminar groups.

I wouldn’t tell him his teaching method is crap, it isn’t! I respect him as a lecturer and think he’s a nice guy, just finding his seminar set up a sticking point and unsure what to do.
Reply 10
Respectfully, what you do is 'get on with it'.

This will not be an arbitrary thing, he will have designed it this way for a reason and the simple fact is that we cannot please every student and it's largely futile to try. I know for experience that structured works better 95% of the time and that j6st asking 'what did you think' is a set up for failure most of the time - I've taught in schools and various universities and this is largely true at every level

You only have to bear the seminars for a couple of months. You just do what is required and move on.
Original post by Sarte

Hi there

I am sorry to hear that you are not enjoying the seminar. It is normal to have different experiences in classes, since different teachers will teach differently.

I understand that some seminars may feel frustrating and can be more difficult than others. Personally, I also enjoy seminars that have a nice flow to it. However, I think it is important to consider why it is structured in such a way? Could it help you prepare better for exams etc. It can be intimidating when you do not know the answer to the seminar, but do remember that we are all here to learn. You are heading for a first, so try not to be too hard on yourself. You are already doing great. :smile:

Echoing the advice above, I also do not think they are likely to change the structure of seminars (it could also depend on what the rest of the students say). Instead, perhaps you could consider changing seminar groups? This would allow you to transfer to a different class without having to confront lecturers (I know this can be really challenging).

Alternatively, if you would still like to participate in the same seminar, perhaps you can have a meeting with the seminar leader and get some tips on how to better prepare for the seminar? This may help you feel more confident in their seminar.

I hope this helps.
Good luck :smile:
Chloe
University of Kent Student Rep
Original post by gjd800
Respectfully, what you do is 'get on with it'.

This will not be an arbitrary thing, he will have designed it this way for a reason and the simple fact is that we cannot please every student and it's largely futile to try. I know for experience that structured works better 95% of the time and that j6st asking 'what did you think' is a set up for failure most of the time - I've taught in schools and various universities and this is largely true at every level

You only have to bear the seminars for a couple of months. You just do what is required and move on.

Yes, I suppose they could feed it back politely through the correct channels, have the lecturer do a huge amount of work to change everything up, and then 5 students complain that they preferred the more structured format. :smile:
Original post by Sarte
We don’t have exams in English lit, it’s all assignment based. When I had actual exams in school and college, I didn’t freeze up and did really well so it isn’t an exam fear. I guess I just don’t like the way he structures the seminars, they don’t flow very well. Could be an issue with the seminar group as well, maybe we don’t gel as well as other seminar groups.

I wouldn’t tell him his teaching method is crap, it isn’t! I respect him as a lecturer and think he’s a nice guy, just finding his seminar set up a sticking point and unsure what to do.

You’ve said you freeze up and go blank at the exam style format so you clearly do have some kind of block around it, subconscious or not.
Original post by Sarte

Hey there,

I completely understand how frustrating it can be when you don't connect with the way a lecturer structures their seminars. It's important to remember that everyone has different teaching styles, and what works for one person may not work for another. Feeling frustrated or overwhelmed after a seminar is completely valid, and it's not "pathetic" at all.

If you're finding it difficult to engage with the set questions format, it might be worth considering a few different options. Firstly, you could try talking to your lecturer about your concerns and how you feel during these seminars. They may be open to hearing your feedback and could potentially make adjustments to accommodate different learning styles.

Alternatively, you can seek additional support from your classmates or even join study groups where you can freely discuss the texts and bounce off each other's ideas.

Remember, your education is important, and it's essential to find a learning environment that works best for you. Don't hesitate to explore different options and seek help when needed. You're not alone in feeling this way, and there are resources available to support you. Best of luck in finding a solution that works for you!

Take care,
Ilya :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending