Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

*MEGATHREAD* - Hyper Awesome mega thread for simple applicant questions!

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    quick re-applicant question: applying for 2011.. if i get 3 As (at least) will the fact that i got a D in one of my chem modules (long story!) and having to retake it disadvntage me in any med schools? i dunno if they look at indevidual module grades just curious! ta x
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blonde-beth)
    quick re-applicant question: applying for 2011.. if i get 3 As (at least) will the fact that i got a D in one of my chem modules (long story!) and having to retake it disadvntage me in any med schools? i dunno if they look at indevidual module grades just curious! ta x
    unless they change the rules; you don't need to declare module grades, just the overall ones. or so i have been lead to believe.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    It said at Manchester something to the effect of "module grades would be appreciated", and obvs at Cambridge you have to give module marks
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blonde-beth)
    Depends. Are you redoing it as a proper retake in your gap year, or is it more a retake of a AS module in y13?

If the latter, then you still did your A-level in two years. It doesn't matter. I got two D's in AS units (long story -_-; ) and redid them in y13. This is accepted by medical schools.

If you mean in your gap year after the two years, then this counts as resitting your A-levels, and you will have to apply as a resit candidate. Some universities state they do not accept 3rd year resits and others say only under extenuating circumstance so yes this would affect where you could apply.

In regards to having a D in a unit, if you have an A overall it shouldn't matter unless you are a borderline candidate and they might use it to disguish you from another application at some places but many med schools state they don't use module grades atm.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I was wondering if anyone that has been accepted into a Medical School recently can give me any form of advice?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    :\ thanks.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    What kind of advice are you after? Just the admissions process in general?
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    What a vague question! Any specifics?

(Original post by G8D)
    Do well in school, get some work experience, become really arrogant.

Sorted.

Welcome to The Student Room.
    :hmmm:
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    Start building alcohol tolerance.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    have you heard of the search bar?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Your question is too vague.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    Do well in school, get some work experience, become really arrogant.

Sorted.

Welcome to The Student Room.
    You'd be surprised at how many people are just that
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazylemon)
    She wants to apply to Imperial - I had no idea they did stuff like drinking :p:
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toiletpaper8)
    You'd be surprised at how many people are just that
    I am not that
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    So the recent student BMJ stating that now studies have found doctors to have one of the highest risks of death from hepatic cirrhosis is really, unsurprising, isn't it? :p:

I don't really get why it's just medicine with this drinking culture though. It kinda doesn't make much sense... but also does, at the same time.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Organ)
    As someone who goes there and has strawpedoed a bottle of wine I can say with authority that they do. I am one of the lighter drinkers too (once you remove the non-drinkers who are mostly muslim)
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tasniaa)
    I was wondering if anyone that has been accepted into a Medical School recently can give me any form of advice?
    Hey

I've got an offer from Imperial College at the moment. What kind of advice are you looking for?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Organ)
    Oh my gosh! Alcohol!? Imperial?? No way...

We're just a bunch of geeks, nerds and shut-ins :p: We can probably make alcohol from scratch though...
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toiletpaper8)
    So the recent student BMJ stating that now studies have found doctors to have one of the highest risks of death from hepatic cirrhosis is really, unsurprising, isn't it? :p:

I don't really get why it's just medicine with this drinking culture though. It kinda doesn't make much sense... but also does, at the same time.
    Most students do drink alot. At imperial more are busier I guess :dontknow:

Though I havent come back from labs and drunk a bottle of rose because it was a bad day unlike some chemists/physicists I know.

I have been told we have the second highest rate of alcohilism after pub landlords too, not sure if true though.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    As someone who goes there and has strawpedoed a bottle of wine I can say with authority that they do. I am one of the lighter drinkers too (once you remove the non-drinkers who are mostly muslim)
    Lol, ever seen a girl with a headscarf at a club?

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 31, 2014
New on TSR

Student in a Million awards

All the results from our prize-giving night

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.