The Student Room Group

*MEGATHREAD* - Hyper Awesome mega thread for simple applicant questions!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by susie_love
I'm in the position of choosing A Level options at moment. I'm set on Maths, Chem. and Bio.

For the fourth option, I'm stuck between Philosophy and Ethics or German. I'm fairly competent in both subjects, but which would be more beneficial for my route? Or should I just choose the one I'm best at?

I've done both

If you put the same amount of effort into both you would (probably) find Philosophy and Ethics easier

maybe you can write more in your PS, should you choose ethics
Original post by susie_love
Thanks Beska!

Another thing that is niggling at me-

At our school, we're being offered another choice different to going down the normal AS/A2 Levels route. The AQA Baccalaureate. You get: 3 A Level choices + an AS out of Critical Thinking/GS/Citizenship (which I know many speak badly of), and you have to complete and Extended Project as well as 100 hours of enrichment activities.

At the moment, I'm not going for this as I want to go down the 4AS', 3 A2s route. But should I be considering the AQA Bacc.? Apparently it sets you aside from other uni. applicants because you gain more qualifications, but I'm not sure if this would apply to medicine?

AQA Baccalaureate? How does that differ from A-levels, as you've stated that in both you receive 3 A levels and an AS. Extended project is something offered to normal AS- level students, at my college anyway.

Is this different from International Baccalaureate? I think that is the one that sets you apart- it is argued that it is easier to get the As at A level than the top marks in the IB, so therefore many put themselves at a disadvantage in that they "fail" the latter, where they could have succeded in the former.
Also OP, the trick with Extended project is to register and get predicted an A in it, talk about it at your interview and in your PS, but never actully do it, as it's never part of an offer
Reply 583
Original post by KingofSpades
Also OP, the trick with Extended project is to register and get predicted an A in it, talk about it at your interview and in your PS, but never actully do it, as it's never part of an offer

But it will cause all sorts of problems because UCAS will never receive a grade for it, which means the universities will never receive a grade. What you are condoning is pretty much academic fraud...
Original post by Beska
But it will cause all sorts of problems because UCAS will never receive a grade for it, which means the universities will never receive a grade. What you are condoning is pretty much academic fraud...

not if the person in question is ignorant as to what the future holds, and steers clear of expressed intent
Reply 585
Original post by KingofSpades
not if the person in question is ignorant as to what the future holds, and steers clear of expressed intent

...what? :lolwut:
When you apply to Hull York do you get to pick which campus you go to if you get accepted or are you just put somewhere?
Reply 587
Original post by nicolaangel
When you apply to Hull York do you get to pick which campus you go to if you get accepted or are you just put somewhere?

It is done randomly by ballot unless you have special circumstances that mean you need to be in a specific campus, eg family commitments, or live close to a campus and plan to live at home.

HYMS campus allocation website.
Original post by Beska
It is done randomly by ballot unless you have special circumstances that mean you need to be in a specific campus, eg family commitments, or live close to a campus and plan to live at home.

HYMS campus allocation website.

Thank you. What are your opinions of Hull, if you have any?
Reply 589
Original post by nicolaangel
Thank you. What are your opinions of Hull, if you have any?

Don't have any opinions, I don't really know much about HYMS or the two individual unis. Sorry!
Reply 590
I was wondering earlier about fees when intercalating. Assume one is studying medicine and is paying the current 3k a year, but as we know the fees are going to go up to 9k~ for 2012 entry. If one intercalates after 2012, do they have to pay 9k or 3k? Plus, when they continue on their medical degree afterwards, is it paying 3k or 9k?
Reply 591
Original post by Beska
I was wondering earlier about fees when intercalating. Assume one is studying medicine and is paying the current 3k a year, but as we know the fees are going to go up to 9k~ for 2012 entry. If one intercalates after 2012, do they have to pay 9k or 3k? Plus, when they continue on their medical degree afterwards, is it paying 3k or 9k?

I would imagine 3k as intercalating is a degree within your degree but best check with some of the senior medics.
Reply 592
Original post by Beska

Pretty sure it just counts as an extra year of medicine, so you'd be paying the 'normal' amount (i.e., not £9000 or whatever the figure will be).
Reply 593
Original post by Kinkerz
Pretty sure it just counts as an extra year of medicine, so you'd be paying the 'normal' amount (i.e., not £9000 or whatever the figure will be).

Ah okay, brilliant!
Reply 594
Original post by Beska
Ah okay, brilliant!

I was under the impression it was covered by the NHS bursery. Year five onwards paid for by the NHS. Intercalation would mean you have y5 and y6 of a degree.
Reply 595
Original post by Organ
I was under the impression it was covered by the NHS bursery. Year five onwards paid for by the NHS. Intercalation would mean you have y5 and y6 of a degree.

The NHS pays for intercalation too (in a roundabout way)? Whoa whoa whoa! Cool. :smile:
Reply 596
Original post by Beska
The NHS pays for intercalation too (in a roundabout way)? Whoa whoa whoa! Cool. :smile:

:no: not cool. NHS bursary is a pile of ****e (as far as I'm concerned anyway)! One year of this is enough hassle for me!
Reply 597
Original post by Hygeia
:no: not cool. NHS bursary is a pile of ****e (as far as I'm concerned anyway)! One year of this is enough hassle for me!

Way to pee on my bonfire. :p: Is it a student loan level of hassle?
Reply 598
Original post by Beska
Way to pee on my bonfire. :p: Is it a student loan level of hassle?

Lets put it this way... at least in years 1-4 SLC gave me a big enough maintenance grant to cover my accommodation.
Original post by Hygeia
Lets put it this way... at least in years 1-4 SLC gave me a big enough maintenance grant to cover my accommodation.

How much (ish) is the NHS bursary usually? For someone who doesn't qualify for any other kind of bursary or extra loan in the first 4 years?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending