The Student Room Group

*MEGATHREAD* - Hyper Awesome mega thread for simple applicant questions!

Scroll to see replies

Does anyone know if vocational GCSEs count as... well, GCSEs? The grades I have are given in letter form like my other GCSEs but they're isolated and called "vocational".
Reply 781
Original post by Unbiased Opinion
Does anyone know if vocational GCSEs count as... well, GCSEs? The grades I have are given in letter form like my other GCSEs but they're isolated and called "vocational".

Generally no. Contact specific medical schools to make sure though - policies differ.
Original post by Beska
Generally no. Contact specific medical schools to make sure though - policies differ.

Thanks. :smile: Guess I'd better avoid the GCSE Nazis then.
Reply 783
Hey guys,

I'm considering what I want to take to A2, the most obvious choices being Biology and Chemistry. I also do Maths and Sociology but I don't know which one I want to drop. I'm way better at sociology than I am at maths, but is soc still seen as a soft subject? Plus, I don't really want to take all 4 to A2, cos I'm lazy :tongue:.

Advice much appreciated! :smile:
Reply 784
Original post by sablarrr
Hey guys,

I'm considering what I want to take to A2, the most obvious choices being Biology and Chemistry. I also do Maths and Sociology but I don't know which one I want to drop. I'm way better at sociology than I am at maths, but is soc still seen as a soft subject? Plus, I don't really want to take all 4 to A2, cos I'm lazy :tongue:.

Sociology is generally seen as a soft subject yes, but in this context as long as it is presented alongside chemistry and biology it should be completely fine. I'd advise against taking more than the required 3 for A2. :smile:

If you'd like some authoritative confirmation, I suggest emailing medical schools you're interested in and asking for their opinion. As far as I know, taking sociology will only prevent you from applying to a handful of Cambridge colleages, and that's it.
Is a HCA the same as an Auxiliary Nurse?

Do you need any training to be an Auxiliary Nurse?
Hey guys,

Hmm; I think there is some preference given to students who have 3 hard A levels, to A2. But if you can't get an A in Maths, take Sociology, as if it does put you at a disadvantage it will only be a slight one.
Reply 787
Original post by Beska
Sociology is generally seen as a soft subject yes, but in this context as long as it is presented alongside chemistry and biology it should be completely fine. I'd advise against taking more than the required 3 for A2. :smile:

If you'd like some authoritative confirmation, I suggest emailing medical schools you're interested in and asking for their opinion. As far as I know, taking sociology will only prevent you from applying to a handful of Cambridge colleages, and that's it.

Thanks, I'll email towards the summer :h: I won't be applying to Cambridge anyway, don't stand much of a chance, ha!

Original post by SteveCrain
Hmm; I think there is some preference given to students who have 3 hard A levels, to A2. But if you can't get an A in Maths, take Sociology, as if it does put you at a disadvantage it will only be a slight one.

I'll bear this is mind :smile:

I'm doing the EPQ as well, will that "balance" things out a bit?
(edited 13 years ago)
Thanks, I'll email towards the summer :h: I won't be applying to Cambridge anyway, don't stand much of a chance, ha!

I'll bear this is mind :smile:

I'm doing the EPQ as well, will that "balance" things out a bit?

EPQs are not regarded at all as a grade. They are useful in that they give you something to talk about at interview, but in no other ways.
Reply 789
Can anyone recommend some good medical ethics books?
Not particularly for application purposes, just because I've just finished the "A very short introduction..." volume on medical ethics and really enjoyed it.
I'm wondering where to progress to now?
All suggestions welcome :smile: faaanks!
Reply 790
Original post by tiggix
Can anyone recommend some good medical ethics books?
Not particularly for application purposes, just because I've just finished the "A very short introduction..." volume on medical ethics and really enjoyed it.
I'm wondering where to progress to now?
All suggestions welcome :smile: faaanks!

Hippocratic Oaths by Raymond Tallis starts off with a very ethics/philosophy related introduction, and then goes onto analyse general medicine (eg MMR scare, doctor/patient relationships) with a very philosophical undertone. It's not exactly medical ethics, but it's that kind of thing and very, very interesting. It's extremely heavy reading, though.
Reply 791
Original post by Beska
Hippocratic Oaths by Raymond Tallis starts off with a very ethics/philosophy related introduction, and then goes onto analyse general medicine (eg MMR scare, doctor/patient relationships) with a very philosophical undertone. It's not exactly medical ethics, but it's that kind of thing and very, very interesting. It's extremely heavy reading, though.

Thanks, sounds interesting, I'll look out for that one :smile:
Reply 792
Original post by tiggix
Thanks, sounds interesting, I'll look out for that one :smile:

It shaped most of my opinions on 'medicine' as a concept so I owe it a great lot, but I think it needs 2-3 reads to get the full impact from the book. Or maybe I'm just dumb. :p: Nearly 1/3 of the pages are taken up with a bibliography!
Reply 793
Original post by Beska
It shaped most of my opinions on 'medicine' as a concept so I owe it a great lot, but I think it needs 2-3 reads to get the full impact from the book. Or maybe I'm just dumb. :p: Nearly 1/3 of the pages are taken up with a bibliography!

nice :wink: crikey, sounds like something I may need to tackle with notepad and pen in hand!
Can you recommend any good medical related books in general?
Reply 795
Original post by nicolaangel
Can you recommend any good medical related books in general?

As always the standard recommendation is any of Max Pemberton's books, and there are a lot other recommendations on the wiki page: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medicine_Applications_Further_Reading
Original post by Beska
As always the standard recommendation is any of Max Pemberton's books, and there are a lot other recommendations on the wiki page: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medicine_Applications_Further_Reading

Thank you :smile:
Wow really? I thought I'd practically memorised every medical wiki page on here :O
Do medical schools take your religion into account at all?

Like religious beliefs you may have on certain aspects like euthanasia, abortion and other issues like this?
Original post by kissandsell

Original post by kissandsell
Do medical schools take your religion into account at all?

Like religious beliefs you may have on certain aspects like euthanasia, abortion and other issues like this?

Medical schools (or anyone for that matter) are not allowed to discriminate based on race, gender or religion etc, so in that essence your religious beliefs wouldn't be taken into account.

However at interviews if you discuss interviews matters like euthanasia/abortion and only argue your religious belief you could come across as narrow minded or unapproachable so that could cause a rejection.

But if you discussed abortion and were asked if you would allow a woman to terminate her pregnancy, you could outright say no as the GMC allows you to refuse this based on your religious beliefs.. however they are allowed another doctor iirc

If someone else could comment to back me up/correct me if I'm wrong :colondollar:
Thankyou!

So when you're a doctor are you allowed to be religious, this is worded poorly, but I mean do you have to kind of forget your religious beliefs whilst at work as a doctor?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending