The Student Room Group

*MEGATHREAD* - Hyper Awesome mega thread for simple applicant questions!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 980
Original post by Sereni
So you didnt go for barts in the end? ... now its just a massive load of work to get the grades

Nope! Hard choice but Newcastle won in the end.

If by "work" you mean "practicing drinking for freshers" then yes, lots and lots of hard work! :wink:
Thanks everybody, as if applying to a BMAT uni wasnt risky enough :frown: How did you guys decide?
Original post by rsp
Sorry another question i understand you can do the BMAT in school , do i need to tell them and register . If so when ?

They will need to register to offer it, yes. You should sort that out as soon as possible - the test is a long way off (end of October) but with summer holidays and everything it would be good to have it sorted early.
Reply 983
Original post by SylveeDiggs
Thanks everybody, as if applying to a BMAT uni wasnt risky enough :frown: How did you guys decide?

First time I applied to 2 BMAT universities. Big mistake. The BMAT is a ridiculously hard test and is significantly harder than anything you would have ever sat before so it's very easy to assume you're going to do well because you were top of your GCSE/AS-Level class. I'd recommend only applying to a single BMAT medical school - medical admissions are risky anyway, and the BMAT just introduces even more risk.
Original post by Beska
First time I applied to 2 BMAT universities. Big mistake. The BMAT is a ridiculously hard test and is significantly harder than anything you would have ever sat before so it's very easy to assume you're going to do well because you were top of your GCSE/AS-Level class. I'd recommend only applying to a single BMAT medical school - medical admissions are risky anyway, and the BMAT just introduces even more risk.

I completely and absolutely agree with you. I only have eyes for one BMAT uni anyway, i just dont know if its worth it. I could apply to one more UKCAT for example and that might increase my chances of having an offer compared to applying to a BMAT, but then again ive always wanted to go to that BMAT uni and i know if i dont apply i'll regret it for the rest of my life thinking 'what if'. But i dont want to apply because of the huge risk it poses :frown: btw what BMAT uni did you apply to?
Reply 985
Original post by SylveeDiggs
I completely and absolutely agree with you. I only have eyes for one BMAT uni anyway, i just dont know if its worth it. I could apply to one more UKCAT for example and that might increase my chances of having an offer compared to applying to a BMAT, but then again ive always wanted to go to that BMAT uni and i know if i dont apply i'll regret it for the rest of my life thinking 'what if'. But i dont want to apply because of the huge risk it poses :frown: btw what BMAT uni did you apply to?

Apply for it then. Don't ever, ever have any regrets - same reason I applied to one of my BMAT medical schools.

What you need to do is to sit the UKCAT so you can choose where you're going to apply. With a strong UKCAT score, you can virtually (I say virtually, sometimes it doesn't always work) guarantee an interview at a handful of medical schools - if you know you have two, three interviews for sure then it's not so much of a big risk applying to a single BMAT university. The trouble comes when you come out with an average UKCAT score, but it's best to discuss that when you have actually sat the test.

I applied to Imperial & New College (Oxford) for 2010 entry, and was rejected without interview at both. Even though I met the BMAT cut-off for Imperial. :argh:
Original post by Beska
Apply for it then. Don't ever, ever have any regrets - same reason I applied to one of my BMAT medical schools.

What you need to do is to sit the UKCAT so you can choose where you're going to apply. With a strong UKCAT score, you can virtually (I say virtually, sometimes it doesn't always work) guarantee an interview at a handful of medical schools - if you know you have two, three interviews for sure then it's not so much of a big risk applying to a single BMAT university. The trouble comes when you come out with an average UKCAT score, but it's best to discuss that when you have actually sat the test.

I applied to Imperial & New College (Oxford) for 2010 entry, and was rejected without interview at both. Even though I met the BMAT cut-off for Imperial. :argh:

I've been dreaming of applying to Imperial all my life haha :redface: I guess my UKCAT score will help me decide like you said, so ima focus on that. Thats a good plan youve helped me come up with so thanks :smile: and hope your re-application was very successful
Reply 987
Original post by Beska
Nope! Hard choice but Newcastle won in the end.

If by "work" you mean "practicing drinking for freshers" then yes, lots and lots of hard work! :wink:

My grades are iffy so i need to work hard right now
Original post by Beska

Original post by Beska
Apply for it then. Don't ever, ever have any regrets - same reason I applied to one of my BMAT schools.

One of the best pieces of advice that i've heard on this board. :yep:
I regret applying to Oxford :frown:
Reply 990
Original post by Beska

great advice

=/ looking at the bmat, it seems indefinitely difficult, most of the questions make no sense to me?

is this what everyone feels?

you're right, look at the UKCAT i get, tbh, my UKCAT will decide for me, i may though, apply to a bmat uni IF i get a bad ukcat, and just hope

atm, done my a/s levels not good at all, my gcse's were good in respect, all that's left is work experience, preparing for the entrance exams, and such
Reply 991
Original post by spacepirate-James
I regret applying to Oxford :frown:

you went the distance, and you're in a superb medical school as it is.

all of them are awsome, but yeah

=/ was it the bmat?

you see=/ i am rubbish at the bmat, havn't prepared for it, but i can hardly do ANY of the questions
Helloooo :smile:

I was thinking of applying for the foundation medicine year at UEA as a fifth choice as I really do not want to do anything but medicine and may be a good back up

But if I was predicited AAA or higher at A-level would they reject me straight away as I could technically go straight into medicine??
Original post by spoinkytheduck

I was thinking of applying for the foundation medicine year at UEA as a fifth choice as I really do not want to do anything but medicine and may be a good back up

But if I was predicited AAA or higher at A-level would they reject me straight away as I could technically go straight into medicine??

I think you should take this into account, when applying to the foundation course you suggested:
Contextual Criteria

Applicants must also meet, and provide proof of, at least one of the following criteria:

Your household income is less than £25,000 per year.
Your parent or guardian have no Higher Education qualifications such as a Degree, Diploma or Certificate of Higher Education.
Your parent or guardian are unemployed or their occupation falls within particular groups of the socioeconomic classification system (NS SEC 4 - 8).
Your postcode falls within an area of multiple deprivation.
You have been in Local Authority Care

I don't really know about foundation courses but I think that most of them are aimed to those that do not have a scientific background, so your academic profile may disadvantage you, if you see what I mean.

Good luck :biggrin:

Places at foundation courses are usually reserved for applicants with lower grades, lack of science A-levels or extenuating circumstances.

I wouldn't recommend you applying for it with those grades.
Reply 995
I only did additional science, and got a B in core science, (school wouldn't let me resit) and an A in additional science. Does this mean I'm not eligible to apply? :frown:
Reply 996
Hey guys,

I know UCL is funny about resitting some modules, but I was just wondering if they look at UMS marks? I thought it was only Cambridge, but just checking.

Thankss :smile:
Reply 997
Original post by oHellno
Hey guys,

I know UCL is funny about resitting some modules, but I was just wondering if they look at UMS marks? I thought it was only Cambridge, but just checking.

Thankss :smile:

As far as I know it's only Cambridge that explicitly look at them. :smile:
Reply 998
Original post by Beska

Original post by Beska
As far as I know it's only Cambridge that explicitly look at them. :smile:

Ah okay, that's what I thought. Thank you :smile:
Do medical students drink more than other students (studying other courses) or are they just the type of people who like to talk about the lash more than other students?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending