The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

SausageTroll
Well, to be fair, for Geography that is rather disgusting haha, Geography is mostly common sense except for the formation and case study examples which you have to memorise.

I'm sure you get very good other grades though right?

English-91%, Maths-87%, Chemistry-90%, Physics-92%, and before you ask i know were not even supposed to find out the band never mind the marks but our teachers disagreed :ninja:
TooSexyForMyStethoscope
English-91%, Maths-87%, Chemistry-90%, Physics-92%, and before you ask i know were not even supposed to find out the band never mind the marks but our teachers disagreed :ninja:

Damn nice, any tips for English? lol
SausageTroll
Damn nice, any tips for English? lol

Erm, don't read the whole passage through in the close reading, it justs wastes too much time and try to be as concise as possible. Make sure your answers are clear, remember, love your marker. Make sure if its a novel or a play you know it thoroughly, not just one theme. I did poetry in the exam, its good because you can just memorize the whole thing. Watch out though, poems are great if the right question comes up, but you can't make the question fit like you can with prose. And bring pens that work, man i looked like an idiot...
Anon Person
Did you see the other person on here who is going to Aberdeen for Medcine too?

If it was woody, then yes, were mates, there are a few of us about though...
SausageTroll
Absolute idiot...

Look at Scottish university websites, look at law, look at their entry requirements, they range from ABBBB to AAAAA at highers, that means if someone has that they get an UNCONDITIONAL. If they are predicted that, then they give them A CONDITIONAL, and if the candidate gets those grades, they will be accepted, if they don't they reapply next year.

Calm down. You're ranting and raving over, what, a simple misunderstanding?

The fact that I have never heard of anyone getting a conditional offer when their highest level of school completed is Standard Grade does not mean you can cast aspersions on my intelligence. It simply means that it never happens at my school, nor has it happened to anyone I know.

And don't pull out old threads and use them against me.

Anon Person
Example: Fred is in S5 and has applied to Glasgow University for Engineering even though he hasn't sat his Higher exams yet. He is sitting five Highers.

And thus we have identified the source of my confusion! At my school, no one ever applies, and ever does apply, in S5. Therefore, besides the medics, everyone gets Unconditional offers for all their applications to Scottish universities; the only Conditional offers going to medics and applications to English universities I think. And having all these people running around with Unconditional offers makes Sixth Form... interesting :p:

Thank you for explaining that clearly. I genuinely did not know that.

SausageTroll
Wow, you wrote all that. Haha, I think my way was just as clear and effective.

You can't possibly think that, surely? You can call me stupid all you want, but you have a lot to learn if that's how you go about explaining things.
innerhollow

The fact that I have never heard of anyone getting a conditional offer when their highest level of school completed is Standard Grade does not mean you can cast aspersions on my intelligence. It simply means that it never happens at my school, nor has it happened to anyone I know.

And don't pull out old threads and use them against me. That was not a simple Maths problem- given by the fact that next to no one else in the class was able to get that correct besides me. Again, looking up the word "draught" in Wikipedia does not mean I'm an idiot. Please stop being petty. You can think that I'm an idiot and don't deserve to be a straight A-1 student all you want. It doesn't change anything.

And thus we have identified the source of my confusion! At my school, no one ever applies, and ever does apply, in S5. Therefore, besides the medics, everyone gets Unconditional offers for all their applications to Scottish universities; the only Conditional offers going to medics and applications to English universities. And having all these people running around with Unconditional offers makes Sixth Form... interesting :p:

You can't possibly think that, surely? You can call me stupid all you want, but you have a lot to learn if that's how you go about explaining things.

You cant possibly be that unaware? You can call me stupid all you want, but if you can't spot sarcasm, especially in such a statement, then i'm worried.
Play nice children :smile:

TooSexyForMyStethoscope

How do ya master the multiple choice in chemistry? I can never get it, some of the questions are just so tricky...
innerhollow

And don't pull out old threads and use them against me.

And thus we have identified the source of my confusion! At my school, no one ever applies, and ever does apply, in S5. Therefore, besides the medics, everyone gets Unconditional offers for all their applications to Scottish universities; the only Conditional offers going to medics and applications to English universities I think. And having all these people running around with Unconditional offers makes Sixth Form... interesting :p:

Thank you for explaining that clearly. I genuinely did not know that.

We have sixth form?! I thought that was only in England... :s-smilie:
Anon Person
No problem. :smile:

:lolwut: Wait, what?

Confused like me?
Anon Person
No problem. :smile:

:lolwut: Wait, what?

Haha, this guy is English.

Sixth form, A-levels... jesus man.
SausageTroll
Haha, this guy is English.

Sixth form, A-levels... jesus man.

I knew it!
Unless of course his school is weird..

Everyone just wants to be Scottish.
Livesindreams
I knew it!
Unless of course his school is weird..

Everyone just wants to be Scottish.

Haha of course they do :smile:
innerhollow
Where do you get off being that condescending towards me? I wasn't aware of one thing you consider general knowledge- and I provided an adequate reason for why.

Apparently we don't view knowledge in the same way. For me, the pride in knowledge comes from searching and acquiring it. For example, this simple interchange on this thread, culminating in me finding out that people do apply to unis is S5 made me feel good; as however insignificant it is, it is still new knowledge, and there is pleasure in acquiring it (to an extent).

Therefore, being hostile towards people for lacking certain pieces of knowledge, even if you consider it obvious, is a highly destructive attitude to hold. A simple, calm correction and the world is better place as a result. Can't you see?

I shall illustrate an example of this attitude with you. Below are two people who are unaware of Sixth Form. Being that there is a Sixth Form at my school in Scotland, I would consider it obvious knowledge that Sixth Forms are available, and am similarly confused as to how they could be "aware" of that. However, unlike your angry, childish approach, I shall take the appropriate approach (I think that was just the perfect amount of arrogance in that sentence :cool: ) Watch and see:

Well, all the schools in my area have a Sixth Form at least :s-smilie: ... when do you guys do Advanced Highers if you don't have a Sixth Form?

In sixth year in High School. Just out of curiosity what general area do you live in then? Because most people I talk to don't take about sixth form.

Unless... you're talking about people going to college to do AH/H?
innerhollow
Where do you get off being that condescending towards me? I wasn't aware of one thing you consider general knowledge- and I provided an adequate reason for why.

Apparently we don't view knowledge in the same way. For me, the pride in knowledge comes from searching and acquiring it. For example, this simple interchange on this thread, culminating in me finding out that people do apply to unis is S5 made me feel good; as however insignificant it is, it is still new knowledge, and there is pleasure in acquiring it (to an extent).

Therefore, being hostile towards people for lacking certain pieces of knowledge, even if you consider it obvious, is a highly destructive attitude to hold. A simple, calm correction and the world is better place as a result. Can't you see?

I shall illustrate an example of this attitude with you. Below are two people who are unaware of Sixth Form. Being that there is a Sixth Form at my school in Scotland, I would consider it obvious knowledge that Sixth Forms are available, and am similarly confused as to how they could be "aware" of that. However, unlike your angry, childish approach, I shall take the appropriate approach (I think that was just the perfect amount of arrogance in that sentence :cool: ) Watch and see:

Well, all the schools in my area have a Sixth Form at least :s-smilie: ... when do you guys do Advanced Highers if you don't have a Sixth Form?

I apologise, now let me get on with my revision.

Also, wtf man, how can you live in Scotland and not know S6 and the education that is put in place in the majority of Scotland? Nevermind, don't answer it, I don't care, I have revision to do.
Wikipedia
Scotland does not, in general, have separate sixth form colleges (or, indeed, the same concept of the terminal two years of secondary education as being distinct from the other time spent there); as such, Scottish students who opt to remain in full-time education will typically remain in the same school for fifth, and possibly a sixth year (the equivalent to the English lower- and upper-sixth forms), studying Higher Grade and Advanced Higher qualifications.

innerhollow

So you see why we're confused?
We're (or at least I'm not) trying to be mean, it's just my way of keeping things light hearted and jokey. If you get what I mean.
This isn't going to yield any good results. Leave it alone, folks. :smile:

Has anyone made up a revision timetable? If you have, how the hell do you stick to it...:lolwut:
Bipolar Dipole
This isn't going to yield any good results. Leave it alone, folks. :smile:

Has anyone made up a revision timetable? If you have, how the hell do you stick to it...:lolwut:

You don't :lol: You go :rant: and then walk away and do your own thing. Or at least that's me.
Not everyone yells at paper.
innerhollow
Oh an apology. How nice :smile:

... If you have revision to get to, I won't stop you. It's not like I particularly want you to stay :confused:

Okay, I see the source of confusion! (Sorry for causing all this confusion on a revision thread by the way :smile: )

At my school, S6 and Sixth Form are the same thing. The area where the S6s go at break/lunch/all the time is called the "Sixth Form centre". The terms "S6s" and "Sixth formers" are used interchangeably.

Ah! I get it now. We have an area for S6, we just call it the 'Senior Area'.
Anon Person
S5 + S6 = Sixth Form?

Also, do you have to be 16 to be in Sixth Form, or can you be 15?

I think there is like an upper/lower type thing in Sixth Form.
Livesindreams
You don't :lol: You go :rant: and then walk away and do your own thing. Or at least that's me.
Not everyone yells at paper.

Yeah. I prefer to just identify what I need to revise, then just do it. I don't get how you can "study in short bursts then take a break, have a kit kat" :wtf: I either sit for hours and work bloody hard OR the opposite. :s-smilie:

I yell at paper :biggrin: I even throw my books at the wall sometimes too.

Who's joining me for the big notes-bonfire after the exams? :woo: My notes are gunna BURN

Latest

Trending

Trending