The Student Room Group

What's Freshers week like?

So I'm going to London met and they emailed me an itinerary about what events are on and I was initially kinda nervous because I don't like clubbing I just think it's too noisy or crowded and I'd feel suffocated idk if that's claustrophobia but anyways I'm feeling more relieved now that I know that there are lots of different events. Anyways there's this mad hatter tea party thing they have all week which I guess sounds interesting as well as a petting zoo but they haven't really said where any of this will be and I'm kinda nervous that I will have no clue where I'm going and on the introductory lectures I have during Freshers week on my timetable there aren't any room numbers on there just time day and teacher. Will I find out on the day where I'm going? Also the petting zoo costs £3.50 for a ticket but everything else on Freshers week if free and I do like animals so should I buy one or will it be not worth paying. And I have no idea what a mad hatter's tea party is but it's interesting and it says it will be on all week but is that accurate because I have some mandatory introductory lectures to go to on Monday and I think Wednesday so will it still be on on the other days and if so what if everyone goes to it on the first day (Monday) but I'm too busy with the lectures so I miss it and when I do get a chance to go nobody's there. And I know there are lots of activities but what if the only ones people are interested in involve drinking which I'm not the biggest fan of, will I be able to make friends during Freshers week without having a love for alcohol?
Look you don't need to club, dont need to drink dont need to do all that to fit in at university, youll find likeminded people on your couse or throughout the year. Freshers well for me was just when everyone is super sociable and really trying to make friends. about your timetable, what I did first year was just follow the crowd find someone on your course and and talk to them see where there going. I have friends who don't drink alochol, trust me youll survive without it and to be honest your better of without it.
The main event of Freshers Week is getting free stuff like the Dominos pizza, everything will be signposted and your first mandatory lectures will just be introductory ones - don't worry. It might be a good idea to schedule in some time for you to relax in your halls/in the local area - and please don't hesitate to contact student services if you're feeling overwhelmed. You won't miss out if you don't do it all. You have three (or more!) years and London has so much to do that you'll easily find people who share your interests.
Reply 3
Literally carnage

Just go with the flow..
Original post by We Sink
Literally carnage

Just go with the flow..

I don't know if that's super helpful advice. In my experience as an autistic introvert with anxiety, specifically planning in some Relaxation Time is actually incredibly helpful. It can also be really helpful to plan in some time exploring the local area - just a stroll around the local park for eg. It's easy to get overwhelmed without making an effort to prioritise your mental health in moving to a brand new place.

Also, most unis now do plenty of Freshers activities that aren't about drinking or clubbing etc. It really isn't carnage unless you want it to be.
Reply 5
Original post by hilly-harrier
I don't know if that's super helpful advice. In my experience as an autistic introvert with anxiety, specifically planning in some Relaxation Time is actually incredibly helpful. It can also be really helpful to plan in some time exploring the local area - just a stroll around the local park for eg. It's easy to get overwhelmed without making an effort to prioritise your mental health in moving to a brand new place.

Also, most unis now do plenty of Freshers activities that aren't about drinking or clubbing etc. It really isn't carnage unless you want it to be.

I'm just telling it how it is.
Original post by We Sink
I'm just telling it how it is.

But having experienced multiple Freshers Weeks, it's not 'just how it is'. I've never experienced one I would describe as 'carnage'. There is such an increased focus nowadays on being inclusive and having at least some chilled out events without alcohol or lots of chaos. It's not the 2010s anymore, unis have realised that not everyone wants crazy nights out (especially those who would be concerned about eg safety).
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 7
But having experienced multiple Freshers Weeks, it's not 'just how it is'. I've never experienced one I would describe as 'carnage'. There is such an increased focus nowadays on being inclusive and having at least some chilled out events without alcohol or lots of chaos. It's not the 2010s anymore, unis have realised that not everyone wants crazy nights out (especially those who would be concerned about eg safety).

I went to uni in the 2010s tbf
Original post by We Sink
I went to uni in the 2010s tbf

I went to uni in both the 2010s and the 2020s and it's completely changed. Universities really would rather avoid the 'lads lads lads' image because they've realised how unsafe it makes a lot of students feel.
Reply 9
I went to uni in both the 2010s and the 2020s and it's completely changed. Universities really would rather avoid the 'lads lads lads' image because they've realised how unsafe it makes a lot of students feel.

I'm glad to hear it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending