The Student Room Group

fashion/beauty - shallow?

Hey people!! :smile:

I was talking to these random, middle-aged, pissed-up blokes last night. Pne of them commented on my (male) friend's blonde hair, saying it looked good. I agreed and said 'I think blonde hair looks better on men & brunette looks better on women...' then this p***k butted in and said 'Who cares? You should care about being a nice person.' I said 'You can care about more than one thing you know'. He then went on to say that I'm a silly, stupid teenager and in ten years I will not be interested in fashion/beauty, etc, which really annoyed me because I want to be a fashion journalist and I think it is just as much a worthy (artsy) subject as any IMO. I asked him what he did and he said he was in the 'technical' industry... :rolleyes: Why do people pigeonhole the fashion industry as 'shallow'? I know there are a lot of idiots involved in it, but that's the same as any industry...

What are your views on this?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
SophistiCat

I was talking to these random, middle-aged, pissed-up blokes last night. Pne of them commented on my (male) friend's blonde hair, saying it looked good. I agreed and said 'I think blonde hair looks better on men & brunette looks better on women...' then this p***k butted in and said 'Who cares? You should care about being a nice person.' I said 'You can care about more than one thing you know'. He then went on to say that I'm a silly, stupid teenager and in ten years I will not be interested in fashion/beauty, etc, which really annoyed me because I want to be a fashion journalist and I think it is just as much a worthy (artsy) subject as any IMO. I asked him what he did and he said he was in the 'technical' industry... :rolleyes: Why do people pigeonhole the fashion industry as 'shallow'? I know there are a lot of idiots involved in it, but that's the same as any industry...

Just because you want to look your best doesn't make you a shallow person.
Reply 2
certainly. it is true in some respect that some people as they get older get less interested in fashion once they are with someone cos they dont have to impress anyone again. i think thats why he said what he said. dont think it will happen to you
Reply 3
I always try to look my best but that doesn't mean i'm shallow! I just want to look good; people can compliment me - there's nothing wrong with that!
I don't think it's shallow at all. I know people who only talk about sport, some who only talk about films, but as soon as I say anything fashion or beauty related they switch off and say that I'm shallow. I really don't think that it's any different to being interested in football.

Good luck with your journalism SophistiCat (nice user name)
Reply 5
some people lose interest as they age because they know theve become so mingding that no clothes can help them to look good. that guy was a patronising, ill-informed, bitter ****...

ignore him
Reply 6
People who think that fashion and beauty are shallow are:

a)Not fashionable

b)Not beautiful

FACT
Reply 7
yes I agree with the person who said that being interested in fashion is no different tha being interested in something like football, or art.
What I do find though is that I try not to get too involved in how I look or how I think other people percieve me, so that I'm obsessed with it. I'm not into fashion myself...
Reply 8
IMO, people label fashion as shallow because it's based on appearances.

Sometimes I question the worth of fashion. Why should it be important that people get the latest clothes or shoes? In that sense fashion seems hollow to me.

I think all people should try and look presentable though. Even if people aren't shallow, we generally would look down on someone who wasn't dressed in a presentable manner.
zooropa

Sometimes I question the worth of fashion. Why should it be important that people get the latest clothes or shoes? In that sense fashion seems hollow to me.

I think all people should try and look presentable though. Even if people aren't shallow, we generally would look down on someone who wasn't dressed in a presentable manner.

:ditto:
Reply 10
zooropa

You are assuming that ‘fashion’ is a set of rules to which sheep will adhere to. Okay, that’s popular fashion, and is the same to the real thing as Girls Aloud are to Bob Dylan in the realm of music. Fashion isn’t necessarily about following trends, it’s about developing a style of your own, using your creativity and letting your exterior say something about the person you are. Real fashion is basically art worn on a persons body. There are always going to be trends, even in high fashion, but then there are always going to be trends in everything music, business, science, etc but it is your interpretation of the trends that matters.
if wanting to look good and feel good makes you shallow then feel free to label me as shallow
Reply 12
SophistiCat
You are assuming that ‘fashion’ is a set of rules to which sheep will adhere to. Okay, that’s popular fashion, and is the same to the real thing as Girls Aloud are to Bob Dylan in the realm of music. Fashion isn’t necessarily about following trends, it’s about developing a style of your own, using your creativity and letting your exterior say something about the person you are. Real fashion is basically art worn on a persons body. There are always going to be trends, even in high fashion, but then there are always going to be trends in everything music, business, science, etc but it is your interpretation of the trends that matters.

amen to that, rmind me to rep you!
Reply 13
Wanting to look nice is not shallow. I find people who rigidly follow a mainstream fashion quite shallow, it shows lack of originality when fashion is all about being daring, taking risks. It's about self-innovation and having style.

I'd say that some extremes of fashion/beauty are shallow - eg, people who are obsessed with labels, people who aren't happy unless they have the very best all the time. That is shallow, but simply wanting to look nice so you feel nicer about yourself is no crime at all.
Reply 14
SophistiCat

beauty: Shallow? =Probably

Do I care? NO! :biggrin:
Reply 15
No its not shallow - especially if like you it's something you're really interested in as a career!
Also, people who get pissy coz we discuss stuff like fashion/beauty are just irritating - even if its not a totally intellectual subject everyobdy has a face and most have hair and clothes (lol!) so it makes sense to discuss them from time to time!
Personally, I'd rather make a few comments about fashion/beauty than have a really long debate about oil sources - we are not at school any more people!
Reply 16
SophistiCat

The whole nature of fashion is to have the "latest look". That's what I don't like.

I try to dress smart, but I dress how I want to dress. It's silly to me to follow some fad in clothes.
Reply 17
To be honest, I reckon that bloke was probably only having a go because he's personally intimidated by stylish and beautiful women!
Reply 18
SophistiCat

Very, very true. Fashion is as much about blending texture and colour, and lines of clothes, as it is about actually being 'fashionable'.
Reply 19
i dont think its shallow. im not a particularly stylish person, and not a huge fashion queen, (i do like beauty though, i spend i fortune on make up), but i certainly dont think people who take an interest in clothes are shallow, thats just ridiculous, its just an interest like many others. the guy you had a row with has a lame argument, and you have a very strong valid one, congratulations! as long as you dont judge people and arent up your own arse, i have nothing against fashion lovers. and by the sounds of it i dont think you were being judgemental at all, just giving your opinion which you are perfectly entitled to do. maybe you just hit a nerve with this guy.

Latest