The Student Room Group

German Grammar Exercise - help needed!

Hi - I've been looking at the specimen tests for Oxford admission (yes, I know I've already got a place at Oxford, but I'm trying to improve my grammar a little before I get there) at http://www.admissions.ox.ac.uk/interviews/tests/german.pdf and since they don't supply mark schemes, I was hoping that someone could correct my effort. I won't write out all the questions - take a look at the pdf file from the link above - but I will give a bit of context to help...

1) Put the word in square brackets into the right form.

a) Q: Er fragte [ich], wie lange in [das] Restaurant [sitzen] hätte, bevor der Kellner [ich] bedient habe.
A: mich / dem / gesessen / mich

b) Q: Wenn dein Son weiter so [fleissig] übt, wird er sicher mal [ein] [berühmt] Pianist werden als [ich].
A: fleissig / einen / berühmteren / ich

c) Q: [Hören] bitte zu, Kinder, wenn ich [ihr] etwas erkläre, sonst [werden] ihr viel [wenig] lernen als die Parallelklasse.
A: Hört / euch / werdet / weniger

d) Q: Wenn ich die Party früher verlassen [haben], [sein] ich [er] nicht auf [die] Straße begegnet.
A: hätte / wäre / ihm / der

e) Q: Der Zeuge teilte [der] [Polizist] mit, dass der Täter wahrscheinlich an [mehrere] Orten gesehen [werden] sei.
A: dem / Polizisten / mehreren / worden

2. Translate into German.

a) Q: She was just doing the hoovering when she noticed a big spider sitting in the corner.
A: Sie saugte kurz Staub als sie eine in der Ecke sitzende Spinne bemerkte.

b) Q: For hours he sat staring at the telephone, waiting for it to ring.
A: Stundenlang saß er, das Telefon anguckend, und wartete, daß es klinge.

c) Q: If you had told me in advance, I could have helped you.
A: Wenn du mich im Voraus gesagt hätte, hätte ich dir geholfen können.

d) Q: Instead of applying for a new job, he decided to go travelling around the world.
A: Statt einer neune Jobbewerbung, entschloss er sich dafür, weltweit zu reisen.

e) Q: I want you to apologise to him for your bad behaviour.
A: Ich will, dass du dich vor ihm für deine schlechte Benehmung entschuldigst.

3. Translate into English.

a) Q: Das kleine Mädchen suchten sie überall im Wald um den See.
A: They looked for the little girl everywhere in the wood around the lake.

b) Q: Das schon seit Jahren leer stehende und völlig verfallene Haus wurde gestern endlich abgerissen.
A: The house that had already stood empty and completely run-down for years was finally pulled down yesterday.

c) Q: Dem Kunden wäre es lieber gewesen, wenn das Geschäft ihm die Möbel geliefert hätte, anstatt sie selber abholen zu müssen.
A: The customer would have preferred it if the shop had delivered the model to him, instead of his having to collect it himself.

d) Q: Bei sorgfältiger Untersuchung des Patienten, hätten Sie merken müssen, dass es sich um eine Erkrankung der Atemwege handelt.
A: Upon careful analysis of the patient, you would have had to notice that it's a question of a respiratory illness.

e) Q: Die Passagiere werden gebeten, sich noch einen Augenblick zu gedulden, sämtliche Handys auszuschalten und währen der Dauer des gesamten Fluges vom Rauchen abzusehen.
A: Passengers are asked to be patient for one more moment, to turn off all mobile phones and to refrain from smoking throughout the duration of the entire flight.

Thanks for any help anyone can give me on these - I think they're mostly OK, but some of the grammar's definitely wrong and the translations are a little.... inelegant...
Reply 1
Yttrium
Hi - I've been looking at the specimen tests for Oxford admission (yes, I know I've already got a place at Oxford, but I'm trying to improve my grammar a little before I get there) at http://www.admissions.ox.ac.uk/interviews/tests/german.pdf and since they don't supply mark schemes, I was hoping that someone could correct my effort. I won't write out all the questions - take a look at the pdf file from the link above - but I will give a bit of context to help...

1) Put the word in square brackets into the right form.

a) Q: Er fragte [ich], wie lange in [das] Restaurant [sitzen] hätte, bevor der Kellner [ich] bedient habe.
A: mich / dem / gesessen / mich

b) Q: Wenn dein Son weiter so [fleissig] übt, wird er sicher mal [ein] [berühmt] Pianist werden als [ich].
A: fleissig / einen / berühmteren / ich

c) Q: [Hören] bitte zu, Kinder, wenn ich [ihr] etwas erkläre, sonst [werden] ihr viel [wenig] lernen als die Parallelklasse.
A: Hört / euch / werdet / weniger

d) Q: Wenn ich die Party früher verlassen [haben], [sein] ich [er] nicht auf [die] Straße begegnet.
A: hätte / wäre / ihm / der

e) Q: Der Zeuge teilte [der] [Polizist] mit, dass der Täter wahrscheinlich an [mehrere] Orten gesehen [werden] sei.
A: dem / Polizisten / mehreren / worden

2. Translate into German.

a) Q: She was just doing the hoovering when she noticed a big spider sitting in the corner.

b) Q: For hours he sat staring at the telephone, waiting for it to ring.
A: Stundenlang saß er, das Telefon anguckend, und wartete, daß es klinge.

A: Wenn du mich im Voraus gesagt hätte, hätte ich dir geholfen können.

d) Q: Instead of applying for a new job, he decided to go travelling around the world.
A: Statt einer neune Jobbewerbung, entschloss er sich dafür, weltweit zu reisen.

e) Q: I want you to apologise to him for your bad behaviour.

3. Translate into English.

a) Q: Das kleine Mädchen suchten sie überall im Wald um den See.
A: They looked for the little girl everywhere in the wood around the lake.

b) Q: Das schon seit Jahren leer stehende und völlig verfallene Haus wurde gestern endlich abgerissen.
A: The house that had already stood empty and completely run-down for years was finally pulled down yesterday.

c) Q: Dem Kunden wäre es lieber gewesen, wenn das Geschäft ihm die Möbel geliefert hätte, anstatt sie selber abholen zu müssen.
A: The customer would have preferred it if the shop had delivered the model to him, instead of his having to collect it himself.

d) Q: Bei sorgfältiger Untersuchung des Patienten, hätten Sie merken müssen, dass es sich um eine Erkrankung der Atemwege handelt.
A: Upon careful analysis of the patient, you would have had to notice that it's a question of a respiratory illness.

e) Q: Die Passagiere werden gebeten, sich noch einen Augenblick zu gedulden, sämtliche Handys auszuschalten und währen der Dauer des gesamten Fluges vom Rauchen abzusehen.
A: Passengers are asked to be patient for one more moment, to turn off all mobile phones and to refrain from smoking throughout the duration of the entire flight.

Thanks for any help anyone can give me on these - I think they're mostly OK, but some of the grammar's definitely wrong and the translations are a little.... inelegant...

i havent had time to look at them all, only just seen one of the translations -

Q: She was just doing the hoovering when she noticed a big spider sitting in the corner.

dont separate the article from the object...and probably better to phrase it like this:

Sie saugte kurz Staub, als sie eine grosse Spinne bemerkte, die in der Ecke sass.

i'll have a look over a few more if/when get chance :smile:
I think that werden, like sein, is always followed by the nominative - a complement, rather than an object. Or something like that. :wink:
So....
2) Q: Wenn dein Son weiter so [fleissig] übt, wird er sicher mal [ein] [berühmt] Pianist werden als [ich].
A: fleissig / ein / berühmterer / ich
Sorry for being such a pedant, but I do rather enjoy grammar exercises. Not to say that my corrections are, well, correct.

Assuming that the expression is fine and dandy, I would change it to:

A: Wenn du mir im Voraus gesagt hättest, hätte ich dir helfen können.

You could have also lost the 'wenn' i.e Hättest du mir im Voraus...Possibly neater? Actually, I think you might need an object for that...'Hättest du das/es mir...' Maybe.
Reply 4
Dont think you do need an object with it gordon... not 100% but pretty sure.
ok another one at random

) Q: I want you to apologise to him for your bad behaviour.

Ich will, dass du dich bei ihm fur dein schlechtes Verhalten entschuldigst.

Latest

Trending

Trending