The Student Room Group

Giving up academic career for Medicine: for money.

I love my subject. Nothing would make me happier than to conduct research about the inner workings of the human brain. But the thought of living on a "student" salary until I receive tenure, makes me cringe! I've recently started to consider taking up Medicine after I graduate purely for financial reasons - definitely wouldn't mind becoming a surgeon.

I know life isn't all about big bank accounts and sex and fast cars and big houses and model girlfriends and yachts and caribbean holidays and fast cars and model girlfriends. It's just that I've received none of my fathers wealth (parents divorced), and my mum comes from a poor background, so really, we've always had no money. And it really sucks, you know. :frown:
good idea, GPs are paid £100k plus for telling you nothing you didn't know already off Google.
waterinabottle
I love my subject. Nothing would make me happier than to conduct research about the inner workings of the human brain. But the thought of living on a "student" salary until I receive tenure, makes me cringe! I've recently started to consider taking up Medicine after I graduate purely for financial reasons - definitely wouldn't mind becoming a surgeon.

I know life isn't all about big bank accounts and sex and fast cars and big houses and model girlfriends and yachts and caribbean holidays and fast cars and model girlfriends. It's just that I've received none of my fathers wealth (parents divorced), and my mum comes from a poor background, so really, we've always had no money. And it really sucks, you know. :frown:

Yes, it is.
Reply 3
usainlightning
Yes, it is.

I know it is, hence the repetition in the sentence. :frown:
Reply 4
waterinabottle

As long as you know what you're letting yourself in for. :smile:
:rofl: Medicine for the pay :rofl:

You do realise as renal has pointed out in the other thread that as an F1 he earns the equivalent of £5.50/hr; less than bar work.
Becoming a surgeon is competitive, difficult and takes a long time.

Yes all Drs drive around in their Mercedes and spend the weekend on the golf course/on the yacht :rofl:
Those at the very top of the pyramid might possibly but that's it.
Reply 6
Pssh, more like prescribing amoxicillin all day :sigh: Nice resolve OP, I say do something that makes you happy...
Reply 7
crazylemon
:rofl: Medicine for the pay :rofl:

You do realise as renal has pointed out in the other thread that as an F1 he earns the equivalent of £5.50/hr; less than bar work.
Becoming a surgeon is competitive, difficult and takes a long time.

Yes all Drs drive around in their Mercedes and spend the weekend on the golf course/on the yacht :rofl:
Those at the very top of the pyramid might possibly but that's it.

Yes, I know, it is humourous. But since I'm only trained in the biological sciences, I have no other options.

He won't be making £5.50/hr for the rest of his life; just this year, whereas I may. Yes I know they don't all drive supercars and spend their time on yachts etc, but at least they live a very comfortable life, and have a very good profession.
waterinabottle
Yes, I know, it is humourous. But since I'm only trained in the biological sciences, I have no other options.

He won't be making £5.50/hr for the rest of his life; just this year, whereas I may. Yes I know they don't all drive supercars and spend their time on yachts etc, but at least they live a very comfortable life, and have a very good profession.

Are all jobs in your profession really paid that badly?
devan5
Pssh, more like prescribing amoxicillin all day :sigh: Nice resolve OP, I say do something that makes you happy...

You forgot 75mg aspirin :wizard: :p:
Reply 10
go for it, theres no better motivation than the shizzle u just mentioned
Reply 11
crazylemon
You forgot 75mg aspirin :wizard: :p:

Oh Snap, :facepalm:
crazylemon
Are all jobs in your profession really paid that badly?

Neuroscientists in the pharmaceutical industry earn relatively the same as doctors. Although it's for a good cause, it's extremely boring research in the basement of a GlaxoSmithKline building somewhere. And to be honest, I'd rather have contact with the rest of civilisation.
waterinabottle
Neuroscientists in the pharmaceutical industry earn relatively the same as doctors. Although it's for a good cause, it's extremely boring research in the basement of a GlaxoSmithKline building somewhere. And to be honest, I'd rather have contact with the rest of civilisation.

So it isn't for the money then is it?
Reply 14
crazylemon

Well, we say that to the public but we all know that medicine is about fast women and cars. Or is that fast cars and women..
crazylemon

Well, it's for money and a good profession. Pharmaceutical research pays well, but is just tedious. Medicine is a good profession, and lifetime pay is very good indeed. A career as an academic (from what I've seen and been told by my tutor) is perfect for me. But the pay is ridiculous until you receive tenure, or an assistant professorship - which could take years.

Since my parents divorce, the annual income in my household has never been above £25k - that's for two people. To be honest, I don't know how much more I could take of this, that's why I'm seriously considering it.
"how much more you can take of it"? Bloody hell, having lived on roughly a third of that for 3 or 4 people, it's not that hard. Admittedly I have the same dream of entering some ridiculously lucrative profession whether I enjoy it or not and making a metric **** ton of money and having a Bentley OH MY GOD HOW MUCH I WOULD LOVE TO HAVE A BENTLEY and sending my children to bilingual and international schools and having a holiday home on the French Riviera and DID I MENTION THE BENTLEY but whatever profession you enter there will be some years of thankless slog before you make big bucks. Including medicine. So I'm just going to marry someone who's already loaded. :h:
Reply 17
Go for it.

Latest

Trending

Trending