The Student Room Group

Life crisis

So currently I'm nearly finished with my GCSEs and it's time for me to start thinking about what I actually want to do in my life. I've picked the subjects I enjoy the most (biology and chemistry), as well as psychology because I feel it'd be interesting. Now the problem is, I also enjoy art. I have a huge passion for it. But that means I'll have to drop 1 of my options.
If I want a career in science I need preferably 2 A levels in science I assume? Correct me if I'm wrong.
Does psychology count as a science? If so, should I drop one of the 2 others? I honestly don't know what to do, because I love them all.
But I don't want to give up on art.
My academic and creative side are in a fight.
I don't think society believes that art can be a useful subject and they only care about STEM subjects because that's where the money is.
Do I follow my heart or my brain?
Or is me choosing science already what my heart wants?
I don't know what to do with my life, I don't know what career I want, but working as a doctor sounds boring.
I want a fulfilling but well paying career and if it's in science then so be it, but I don't want to work for hours and have no work life balance.
What if one day I get fed up and end up working as a tattoo artist? The idea of it sounds fun. My parents wouldn't approve of it though, going to university is an expectation. Is this a hobby or a career aspiration...? But on the other hand, I want to be smart, rich and professional. I want to be skilled. I'm too young to be thinking of this but now I'm being forced to think of it because of university.
Any advice?
Reply 1
Original post by jxsmxnx
So currently I'm nearly finished with my GCSEs and it's time for me to start thinking about what I actually want to do in my life. I've picked the subjects I enjoy the most (biology and chemistry), as well as psychology because I feel it'd be interesting. Now the problem is, I also enjoy art. I have a huge passion for it. But that means I'll have to drop 1 of my options.
If I want a career in science I need preferably 2 A levels in science I assume? Correct me if I'm wrong.
Does psychology count as a science? If so, should I drop one of the 2 others? I honestly don't know what to do, because I love them all.
But I don't want to give up on art.
My academic and creative side are in a fight.
I don't think society believes that art can be a useful subject and they only care about STEM subjects because that's where the money is.
Do I follow my heart or my brain?
Or is me choosing science already what my heart wants?
I don't know what to do with my life, I don't know what career I want, but working as a doctor sounds boring.
I want a fulfilling but well paying career and if it's in science then so be it, but I don't want to work for hours and have no work life balance.
What if one day I get fed up and end up working as a tattoo artist? The idea of it sounds fun. My parents wouldn't approve of it though, going to university is an expectation. Is this a hobby or a career aspiration...? But on the other hand, I want to be smart, rich and professional. I want to be skilled. I'm too young to be thinking of this but now I'm being forced to think of it because of university.
Any advice?

It depends on what section of medicine you want to go into but some unis count psychology as a social science but if you enjoy bio and chem and just picked psychology bc it looks interesting swap it out for art and do bio chem and art . I think If arts your passion then go for it and also unis will think this looks more interesting . I’m Not a uni student . I’m currently y11 but I too am struggling w a level choices. Also maybe pursue art on the side on redbubble or smth as you study and worst case if you hate your whole science route just start a small business or havw lots of part time jobs but I think most jobs don’t pay that Great in science lile becoming a doctor it’s not really worth it for all the years of studying and the tiny salary but I feel like just pick what u enjoy and keep going forward from there or wait till results day to guide you :smile:
Honestly, I'd advise against art as an A Level particularly if you want to go into a stem-orientated field. Art is a coursework-based subject so there's a large volume of work needed to be produced. If your school has an art club I'd suggest joining that instead as it will allow you to express your creative freedom without making it feel like a chore. If you really want to be a tattoo artist when you're older you probably don't need an art A Level as it generally comes as part of an apprenticeship with a licensed tattoo salon. You are right by saying that most STEM subjects at university only require 2 STEM subjects (Maths, Bio, Chem, Phys, psychology etc) though it does depend on the course on whether psychology is counted as one. For example, for Medicine, you generally need 3 Stem subjects from either Maths, Chemistry, Physics, and biology at AAA. While difficult, it is achievable if you really want to do it. Nobody really knows what they want to do after GCSEs but really you should go where your logical side thinks is right.
Reply 3
Original post by sara572729
It depends on what section of medicine you want to go into but some unis count psychology as a social science but if you enjoy bio and chem and just picked psychology bc it looks interesting swap it out for art and do bio chem and art . I think If arts your passion then go for it and also unis will think this looks more interesting . I’m Not a uni student . I’m currently y11 but I too am struggling w a level choices. Also maybe pursue art on the side on redbubble or smth as you study and worst case if you hate your whole science route just start a small business or havw lots of part time jobs but I think most jobs don’t pay that Great in science lile becoming a doctor it’s not really worth it for all the years of studying and the tiny salary but I feel like just pick what u enjoy and keep going forward from there or wait till results day to guide you :smile:

I worked my a** off for GCSE art and I got a grade 5....... everyone's grades were lower than their predicted ones because OCR is harsh. I ended up choosing bio, chem and psych. I only just logged back here I can't believe how fast time flies? I wonder if you decided what you want to do now, you must be close to doing your GCSEs? Trust me they're nothing compared to A levels ahha. And I'm sure that deffo don't wanna be a doctor. I'm having another crisis bc we are applying to uni in a few months... I kinda wish I didn't stop making art. After that result I was bummed and I feel like I'm losing my passion, idk.. I feel like there's not much future to it. I will try again someday and keep it as a side hustle. I'm ACC good at art, grades don't define me. I genuinely did good but yeah.. anyway thank u!
Reply 4
Original post by ganglianwarrior
Honestly, I'd advise against art as an A Level particularly if you want to go into a stem-orientated field. Art is a coursework-based subject so there's a large volume of work needed to be produced. If your school has an art club I'd suggest joining that instead as it will allow you to express your creative freedom without making it feel like a chore. If you really want to be a tattoo artist when you're older you probably don't need an art A Level as it generally comes as part of an apprenticeship with a licensed tattoo salon. You are right by saying that most STEM subjects at university only require 2 STEM subjects (Maths, Bio, Chem, Phys, psychology etc) though it does depend on the course on whether psychology is counted as one. For example, for Medicine, you generally need 3 Stem subjects from either Maths, Chemistry, Physics, and biology at AAA. While difficult, it is achievable if you really want to do it. Nobody really knows what they want to do after GCSEs but really you should go where your logical side thinks is right.

yeah I ended up going with bio chem and psych and I like them, they're just very content heavy and I'm currently stressing about my end of year exams which will give us our predicted grades for ucas
in terms of the tattoo artist choice well I forgot about it but I might look into it honestly
I'm soooo burnt out bro
but yeah this better be worth it
I'm not doing medicine ik that for a fact
was considering dentistry but rn I'm exploring other options
Original post by jxsmxnx
I worked my a** off for GCSE art and I got a grade 5....... everyone's grades were lower than their predicted ones because OCR is harsh. I ended up choosing bio, chem and psych. I only just logged back here I can't believe how fast time flies? I wonder if you decided what you want to do now, you must be close to doing your GCSEs? Trust me they're nothing compared to A levels ahha. And I'm sure that deffo don't wanna be a doctor. I'm having another crisis bc we are applying to uni in a few months... I kinda wish I didn't stop making art. After that result I was bummed and I feel like I'm losing my passion, idk.. I feel like there's not much future to it. I will try again someday and keep it as a side hustle. I'm ACC good at art, grades don't define me. I genuinely did good but yeah.. anyway thank u!
Omg thts such a shame abt ur art grade im acc thankful my school did Aqa. Yeah time does fly can’t believe y12 is almost over. I chose bio chem maths and further maths .i Finished my GCSEs samw time as u and they were okay cld have been better. Do u knwo what u wanna do in the future yet ?? If not dw u still have loadsssss of time

Quick Reply

Latest