The Student Room Group

Occupational therapy or radiography help

Should i do OT or radiography. Worried which has less career paths and make less money
Reply 1
Original post by JerryAttrick
Should i do OT or radiography. Worried which has less career paths and make less money

You probably wouldn’t want to think about money too much as those working in the NHS will not be making the most money but you’ll be helping people and that’s the main reason for going into healthcare. My suggestion would be to attend as many uni open days as you can, in person or online, and attend both subject talks and talk to those studying the course and find what best suits you. Radiography and occupational therapy are two very different career paths in healthcare and hopefully writing out some of the differences and key aspects of the career that are important to you and compare them will help you find your path.
That’s what I did last year when I thought I wanted to study medicine but it didn’t feel right and so I did a lot of research and attended a physio talk as liked the look of it and it just fitted everything I was looking for. and hopefully you’ll find your calling.

Graduates of both degrees who go into the NHS start on band 5 (currently £28,407 (more in London)). This increases with experience.

https://www.healthcareers.nhs.uk/working-health/working-nhs/nhs-pay-and-benefits/agenda-change-pay-rates

Take a look at a recent thread regarding radiography as a career:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7378431

Hey @JerryAttrick :smile:

I'd say to carefully consider your interests, strengths and long-term career goals. Both of the fields can be rewarding but have different focuses and potential career paths. Occupational Therapists can work in various settings like hospitals, rehabilitation centres, schools, mental health facilities etc, and radiographers typically work in hospitals, clinics, imaging centres, physician offices. Consider which field aligns more with your interests and passion, research the academic requirements for each and consider the time and commitment you're willing to invest in your education, and think about the work environment that suits you best.

Like others have said I'd definitely recommend attending open days and going to subject talks for both areas, speaking to the academics and current students, checking out the facilities and support on offer. Ask all your burning questions about the career paths and where their graduates have gone on to work.

I wish you all the best of luck in making your decision, I'm sure you'll make the right choice for you :smile:

Becky
(edited 9 months ago)
Original post by University of Bradford
OT's working closely with patients, radiographers focusing on operating imaging equipment etc

Radiography (both diagnostic and therapeutic) are a patient-focused roles too.

[Thread moved to Healthcare forum]
(edited 9 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest