The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Is Lancaster university a good uni?

I got an offer from Lancaster for computer science but I’m confused on how it made it so high on rankings with its lower grade requirements. The unis around it are all have atleast AAA as their typical offer. Is a degree from Lancaster respected? What unis would it compare to?
Original post by Anonymous #1
I got an offer from Lancaster for computer science but I’m confused on how it made it so high on rankings with its lower grade requirements. The unis around it are all have atleast AAA as their typical offer. Is a degree from Lancaster respected? What unis would it compare to?

Parent rather than a student, but I’ve lived in Lancaster for years. I think it’s a good university. Not in the Russell Group but usually hovers around 10th or 11th on national university rankings. It must be slightly above your Manchesters, Liverpools, Yorks etc. On a par with Edinburgh. Prob a tad behind Warwick really. The town is good though and prices are cheaper than those you’d find in Warwick and further south. Decent rail links, pubs, restaurants, canals, scenery and landmarks, etc. 40-50 mins from Lake District.
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Reply 2

The reasons largely seem to be that it has spent a lot of money on its facilities, a high proportion of its staff are high quality researchers, and it has pretty satisfied students according to The Complete University Guide's table.

No matter what it, or any other 1960s era university, does, it's going to be affected by the fact that some, perhaps many, people with high grades prefer to use their ability to choose to study at a place with at least some classically old architecture for that 'dreaming spires' university kind of feel. Having a longer history behind a place can also give a prestige, regardless of current teaching staff.

It's historically, probably sometimes unfairly for some subjects, not been regarded as quite as good as some mentioned places. Lancaster as a city just doesn't have the metropolitan attractions, or nearby attractions, available at the other mentioned places. It will affect the grades it can afford to ask for. Basically, some of the staff there may be great but the quality of students might not always match that. I am very surprised that the average Lancaster student across all subjects last year has achieved only 1% lower grades than the average Nottingham University student.
(edited 2 months ago)
I would put Lancaster very well below Warwick,Manchester York, and Edinburgh, but above only Liverpool. They hand out a lot of Unconditional offers and they really need to get students to come.
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous #3
I would put Lancaster very well below Warwick,Manchester York, and Edinburgh, but above only Liverpool. They hand out a lot of Unconditional offers and they really need to get students to come.

Untrue, they have not offered unconditional offers in that amount since 2020. Its super rare to get one now. Either you already have the grades, or they will offer a reduced offer at best. They wouldnt offer unconditionals out to people to get them to come. Granted Lancaster is not popular in all subjects, but is highly regarded in the sciences (as well as environmental), business and management, english, art, accountancy and finance, medicine.
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 5

Lancaster is a great uni. It stays around 10th/11th in the complete uni guide, and the reason its not higher is because their grade bounderies are lower. But their student satisfaction is higher than others. Its also got good research quality. Its not a russell group, but does hold its own in terms of research. My daughter studies particle physics there and the research she has done in both her internships, as well as her masters thesis has been superb. She has a high level of support from her dept, which in turn boosts student satisfaction. Definitely research the uni, speak to the students there online, go for a visit.

What to compare it to. Hmm, I guess each uni has their good subjects and subjects not so good. Its a good question. Overall Id say its on a par with York, Warwick,Bath Swansea. For daughters subject, I'd have to rank Manchester slightly higher in particle phds, although Lancaster holds its own in that subject.

Hi!

Firstly, congratulations on the offer.
As a current 2nd year Computer Science student at Lancaster, I can speak about my personal experience. The course content and the teaching in my department are great - we have quite a lot of in-person contact hours and a lot of practical and hands-on work. This learning by doing approach and the real-life aspects of the course are something I really appreciate. There is a lot of academic and careers support available within the individual departments as well as within the central uni. In fact, it is the careers support that is one of the main highlights of the university: not only there are workshops and one-to-one career appointments, but the university maintains close connections with multiple employers and companies and there are also many jobs and "mini-internships" for students to get involved in throughout the year, which is perfect for getting work experience, earning extra money and having the convenience and flexibility of a university-based role designed for students.
Non-academically, Lancaster has a beautiful campus and it is very much a "community" university. The 9 colleges are organised as a system of more effectively looking after students' wellbeing and bring students together via many college events and competitions. There are so many diverse societies (from underwater hockey team to soup society) and many opportunities to explore.

Ranking and reputation-wise, I would say Lancaster is quite good. It is located quite far up North and is not quite as famous, but its name is definitely recognisable, and it has been positioned quite well in the rankings for the past few years. In fact, it is ranked highly in many subject areas. The university does have good global connections and has high employability rates. I am not sure what other universities it would compare to - not from the student perspective and not from the employer perspective.

Overall, it is a great university with a lot to offer - academically, professionally and socially. I would recommend looking more into the course and attending an Offer holder event - experiences speak louder than numbers on the rankings :smile:

Hope my little monologue is somewhat informative!
Polina,
Lancaster University SCC Student Ambassador.

Hi Anon,
Whilst Lancaster isn't a Russel group university, it is still highly respected, and comes out towards the top of the university league tables each year. Personally, i've loved my time at Lancaster, it feels like a real community of both students and the academic staff, who are always so willing to help and support you. Therefore, i think Lancaster ranks highly in the league tables due to the amount of support you get throughout your degree from your lecturers and academic staff as well as more widely through the colleges and careers service ect.
There's lots a ways to boost your employability for when you graduate , by taking a placement year or internships throughout your degree. Lancaster has a fantastic careers service, who offer lots of support with graduate jobs and internships by running lots of different careers fairs, mock interviews and assessment centers, as well as having 1 to 1 appointments with members of the careers service, so you talk through your career options.
If you have anymore questions, feel free to ask!
-Jasmine (Lancaster Student Ambassador)

its a good uni
Reply 9
Lancaster's computer science course specifically absolutely isn't on par with Manchester/Warwick/Edinburgh. It's quite decent for maths though, and probably okay for physics.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending