The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
indiechick2kuk
ive been offered cripps why is it so great i havent figured it out yet seeing the cripps hall webbie is down. i only figured it out it was a good hall cause so many people are gutted on tsr they didnt get it

Same here when I got Criopps I was well chuffed, but come to think of it I'm not sure why. I just picked up on the vibes of everyone else and came to the conclusion it was the best hall. But having visited it isn't really that special. It's central and good for lectures, otherwise I can't really see what's so good. A lot of it is gonna depend on the people.
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 41
no im going to oxford, but im good friends with katie so was just saying hi
Yeah I was wondering when we find out our room number too cos don't we need to be able to put out full address when we apply for TV licences etc?? Anyone know?
im guessing it will be around a week before we move in as they still are allocating acommodation for everyone else
Reply 44
charli_brown
Yeah I was wondering when we find out our room number too cos don't we need to be able to put out full address when we apply for TV licences etc?? Anyone know?

Your address doesn't include your room number. It will be:

[Your name]
[Your hall]
University Park Campus
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
NG7 2RD

That is all the TV licence people need to know. Also, although all the halls have their own postcodes, 2RD is the blanket postcode for the whole campus. (eg Hu Stu is 2QX)
Reply 45
Hey, morning all. Im going into Cripps too, and ive heard LOADS of reasons why we have the best halls! I know a few people who've just done their first year and they have all raved about it so here goes....!

- We are really central to all the schools and stuff (2 secs from geography wahoooooo!)
- Biggest rooms on campus (apparently)
-The halls has its own gym = dont have to trek to sports centre if dont want to
-Quote ex-sherwood guy "Man, all the best looking people always seem to wind up in Cripps!"
-Apparently we have crazy Karni reps this year wahooo!
-One of the best bars :biggrin:
-And i think its just generally respected as one of the best halls!

Could be wrong on some of these, but its just what friends have told me..! I CANT WAIT!

xx :cool:
Reply 46
Katie-Bo
Hey, morning all. Im going into Cripps too, and ive heard LOADS of reasons why we have the best halls! I know a few people who've just done their first year and they have all raved about it so here goes....!

- We are really central to all the schools and stuff (2 secs from geography wahoooooo!)
- Biggest rooms on campus (apparently)
-The halls has its own gym = dont have to trek to sports centre if dont want to
-Quote ex-sherwood guy "Man, all the best looking people always seem to wind up in Cripps!"
-Apparently we have crazy Karni reps this year wahooo!
-One of the best bars :biggrin:
-And i think its just generally respected as one of the best halls!

Could be wrong on some of these, but its just what friends have told me..! I CANT WAIT!

xx :cool:

What!!!!! We have our own gym. I definately didn't notice that when I was there. I'm loving it more and more by the second.
Reply 47
Was in Cripps in 2002 -2003 - absolutely fab, loved it. And it IS the best hall (So childish :rolleyes: :biggrin: )

Say hello to Beryl for me :smile:
Reply 48
S_F_S
Was in Cripps in 2002 -2003 - absolutely fab, loved it. And it IS the best hall (So childish :rolleyes: :biggrin: )

Say hello to Beryl for me :smile:

Beryl left! :eek:
Reply 49
Noooooo! :eek: :eek:

She was fab. Bless her! :love:
hi I'm goin Cripps too doin french n classical civilisation cant wait its only a week n a half left how mad is that??? eeee am dead excited! Is it just me or do we have to send like a million photos! 2 for one department, 2 for the other one for medical one for a railcard, 2 on the day! woah! heehee :p:
I'm a future Hugh Stewart but I'll admit that Cripps is a good hall. Thing is we have the cheapest bar, nicest architecture and best traditions on top of being in a centralized location....let the rivalry live on!!!!
Reply 52
dan_iel_2000
I'm a future Hugh Stewart but I'll admit that Cripps is a good hall. Thing is we have the cheapest bar, nicest architecture and best traditions on top of being in a centralized location....let the rivalry live on!!!!

Hey Cripps is just as central as Hugh Stu. They are right next to each other. Cripps has the biggest and best rooms of the two halls. And if you think Hugh Stu has nice architecture, all I need to say is GRADE 2 Listed Building. Your bar might be cheap but it's cheap for a reason. For a start from what many people have said, it's run by a bunch of amateurs, many of whom can't pour drinks and don't even know what some drinks are. But they can't be sacked because they are "voluntary workers" who don't get paid. I think Cripps has a much nicer bar, run by professionals. I got a choice between Cripps and Hugh Stu, and I'm sure I made the right decision.
Reply 53
Zeus
Hey Cripps is just as central as Hugh Stu. They are right next to each other. Cripps has the biggest and best rooms of the two halls. And if you think Hugh Stu has nice architecture, all I need to say is GRADE 2 Listed Building. Your bar might be cheap but it's cheap for a reason. For a start from what many people have said, it's run by a bunch of amateurs, many of whom can't pour drinks and don't even know what some drinks are. But they can't be sacked because they are "voluntary workers" who don't get paid. I think Cripps has a much nicer bar, run by professionals. I got a choice between Cripps and Hugh Stu, and I'm sure I made the right decision.

Actually, only one person has said that the staff were poor. If they don't perform as they should, they won't last long - if they're crap they will get the sack!

Have you actually been in either bar to make these comparisons?

Also, the reason it is cheap is because it's not run by the university, and as such we can effectively set the prices to whatever we want.

And how did you get a choice between Cripps and Hu Stu?
Reply 54
alex-HSH
Actually, only one person has said that the staff were poor. If they don't perform as they should, they won't last long - if they're crap they will get the sack!

Have you actually been in either bar to make these comparisons?

Also, the reason it is cheap is because it's not run by the university, and as such we can effectively set the prices to whatever we want.

And how did you get a choice between Cripps and Hu Stu?

1)Well maybe only one person has told you that but I've been told by at least four people when I was in Nottingham trying to sort out my accomodation.

2)I would imagine it's cheaper cos free staff cuts down on costs. Professionals cost money.

3)I got a choice between Cripps and Hustu cos NH messed up my application and gave me self-catered. When I went down there they apologised and told me I could choose between Hustu and Cripps since I had already said I wanted to be fairly central.
Reply 55
Zeus
1)Well maybe only one person has told you that but I've been told by at least four people when I was in Nottingham trying to sort out my accomodation.

I imagine these people were probably from Cripps and as such slightly biased... but if you ever do have any complaints/problems when you're in Hu Stu's bar, ask to speak to Lewis or Beth (bar management team) and they should sort whatever it is out for you.
Reply 56
YEAH CRIPPS!!!! :cool:

just over a week to go..... does anyone know what Cripps has in terms of kitchen facilities? Ie..is it worth bringing my own kettle and stuff? lol...im gona go check the "what to bring thread" but if anyone who's been in cripps could help out? awesome x
Reply 57
Katie-Bo
YEAH CRIPPS!!!! :cool:

just over a week to go..... does anyone know what Cripps has in terms of kitchen facilities? Ie..is it worth bringing my own kettle and stuff? lol...im gona go check the "what to bring thread" but if anyone who's been in cripps could help out? awesome x

Can't say for definate regards each individual hall, but you should have access to a kettle and a grill (for toasting). I had both in my block kitchen, as well as my own kettle and toaster in my room. If you have these items of your own, or your parents have old ones to throw out, then you might as well bring them; if you have space. A lot of new students tend to forget that they have shops in Nottingham too, so you can always buy these sorts of items if you realise that they are needed: you don't have to bring with you everything that you think you'll need. :smile:
Cripps is a good hall I alreayd admitted it. Didn't want to get you all defensive there Zeus! tis all good :wink:
Reply 59
dan_iel_2000
Cripps is a good hall I alreayd admitted it. Didn't want to get you all defensive there Zeus! tis all good :wink:

OK. That's cool then. It's weird how some of us have really taken up this hall rivalry thing weeks before we even get there.

Latest

Trending

Trending