The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

100 sleggy
you say everybody did well but this is a tiny sample size
most people at my school who did it didn't seem to have done very well
i thought it was a pretty average paper, would expect A boundary to be high 50s

I hope you right
Clavo
yeah I agree. Personally, I thought it was an awful exam!
Completely messed up the 9 mark lambda one and couldn't do the SHM proof which should have been easy! ughh I really hope the grade boundaries are low...

yeah the lambda one will have caught a lot of people out i would think
lots of people will have forgotten the epe it has at the end when the spring is compressed
also, from speaking to people at school, they all seemed to find the particle fired into space question hard also
MadnessRed
I hope you right

i see you're off to durham
just out of interest, which college and what are you doing there?
Reply 83
Noble.
It isn't S2. I don't think the boundaries are ever that high for M3. Plus I wouldn't use the TSR cohort as the basis of that assumption. One thing I've found from doing past papers is that it's very difficult to easily tell how hard a paper is. In January 2009 you needed 63 for an A, in June 2009 you needed 48 for an A, yet I don't think the June 2009 paper is any harder than the January one. It's very difficult to tell.

I like anyone else would like to be the grade boundaries as low as possible (since I did get some wrong), but the truth of the matter is there werent anything tricky which you wouldnt expect from a standard M3 paper..

ok 65 might seem harsh 60 then
arsey

100 sleggy
yeah the lambda one will have caught a lot of people out i would think
lots of people will have forgotten the epe it has at the end when the spring is compressed
also, from speaking to people at school, they all seemed to find the particle fired into space question hard also

First time through i couldn't do it at all, had no idea.
Came back to it, and realised that X was from centre, not surface and that g was constant, and then it was easy enough.

Messed up the lambda and last question. And Im worried second last question as that led on to the last one.

Oh well. Just need some luck in FP2.
Reply 86
rbnphlp
I like anyone else would like to be the grade boundaries as low as possible (since I did get some wrong), but the truth of the matter is there werent anything tricky which you wouldnt expect from a standard M3 paper..

I know, but as I said, it's very difficult to predict with M3. I don't think anything in the June 2009 paper was unexpected for M3, yet you only needed 48 for an A.
rbnphlp

on an "average" paper I think that an A should be 60. That's what they aim at.

I think the style of this paper was different to previous ones, so there might be an odd UMS allocation.
Reply 88
Noble.
I know, but as I said, it's very difficult to predict with M3. I don't think anything in the June 2009 paper was unexpected for M3, yet you only needed 48 for an A.

well I hope Iam wrong and you guys are right
Reply 89
My answers agree. But I got lambda wrong- I thought it was a string, hence slack!
How many marks do you reckon that is worth, 3-4?

Anyway some advice to all- if you have time at the end of the exam just dump all of your numerical answers into your calculator memory :cool:
kfkle
My answers agree. But I got lambda wrong- I thought it was a string, hence slack!
How many marks do you reckon that is worth, 3-4?

Anyway some advice to all- if you have time at the end of the exam just dump all of your numerical answers into your calculator memory :cool:

Well the method marks are all conditional. Just saying... Maybe you'll get a few B marks.
100 sleggy
i see you're off to durham
just out of interest, which college and what are you doing there?

Physics at St. Aidans, how about you?
Reply 92
Anonymous0155
Well the method marks are all conditional. Just saying... Maybe you'll get a few B marks.

Well, the only part I missed out on was the EPE stored at the end. Meh, we'll see.
Yeah, to whoever said boundaries will be really high - not sure they will tbh. I mean, I don't think it was the hardest paper ever, but it certainly wasn't a really easy one. There are definitely a lot of places for people to make mistakes. I think the modulus one will have caught a LOT of people out (not getting compression epe), sometimes people can't remember the volume of a cone for the CoM question (2/5 people doing the exam at my school couldn't), and there were a fair few other places where it was easy to slip up and loose marks.

I'd say high 50's for an A? So... 58ish?
Reply 94
Personally I found the paper stupidly easy in some parts, stupidly hard in others.

For some reason I got the centre of mass to be 4l from the top, but I think my mass of a cone was wrong. I was expecting it on the formula sheet, and my integration method came up with an unexpected figure (obviously wrong). I'll let that rest on exam nerves.

I wasn't overly bothered about the exam though, I don't need Further Maths for my uni offer, and as I taught myself the maths modules, I did this one half heartedly. Same for FP2, which I haven't even finished learning (nor looked at for 4 months) and the exam is in just over a week.
kfkle
Well, the only part I missed out on was the EPE stored at the end. Meh, we'll see.

Sorry, for some reason i assumed you treated a SHM thing as a string instead of a spring; just ignore what i said before; im to tired to be giving opinions
Arkinstall
Personally I found the paper stupidly easy in some parts, stupidly hard in others.

For some reason I got the centre of mass to be 4l from the top, but I think my mass of a cone was wrong. I was expecting it on the formula sheet, and my integration method came up with an unexpected figure (obviously wrong). I'll let that rest on exam nerves.

I wasn't overly bothered about the exam though, I don't need Further Maths for my uni offer, and as I taught myself the maths modules, I did this one half heartedly. Same for FP2, which I haven't even finished learning (nor looked at for 4 months) and the exam is in just over a week.

Yeah, there was a real mix of easy and hard questions I thought.

Snap on the self teaching =) FP2 is going to be interesting next week :p: however, I unfortunately DO need an A in FM for my offer... :sigh:

However I think this went fairly well, with the exception of a silly mistake in 5b, so I'm feeling ok about it at the moment!
Reply 97
Anonymous0155
Sorry, for some reason i assumed you treated a SHM thing as a string instead of a spring; just ignore what i said before; im to tired to be giving opinions

In any case, mechanics is over. Thank god for that.

Goodnight all!
Reply 98
Yeah, I think I screwed up in a few places. I don't know whether to expect an A/B or a C/D in this paper. I can't remember my exact answers, so kudos to those who can just regurgitate it like that!

As for the self-teaching - I was the only person in the year who wanted to do FM. Shame really, because FP1 is really good. FP2 isn't as interesting, I have to admit.

As soon as I walked out, I just chilled and got my mind off the exam, then started to revise some chemistry. Once the exam is over, its over :P
Arkinstall
Yeah, I think I screwed up in a few places. I don't know whether to expect an A/B or a C/D in this paper. I can't remember my exact answers, so kudos to those who can just regurgitate it like that!

As for the self-teaching - I was the only person in the year who wanted to do FM. Shame really, because FP1 is really good. FP2 isn't as interesting, I have to admit.

As soon as I walked out, I just chilled and got my mind off the exam, then started to revise some chemistry. Once the exam is over, its over :P

Yeah, I wrote down all my answers in a few minutes at the end, because it really annoys me when I come on here, trying to find out when I got, and then realise that I can't remember half of my own answers! Especially in mechanics, where it's g's and a's asunder!
That's the only reason I've got mine written up XD

and you're a better person than me! After the exam, I managed to convince myself that I'd done way too much work and needed to de-stress, so did no work for the rest of the day :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending