The Student Room Group

The "Am I Good Enough For Dentistry" Megathread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jamesmilson14
ur ukcat score is not bad. I think ur personal statement could be the tipping factor

Hey man, can you PM your e-mail, would like you to review my personal statement draft if that's okay?
Original post by Nav_Mallhi
I think they prefer a high UKCAT score.

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to apply to dentistry with the following results:

GCSEs: 9A*s, 2As, 1B
IB prediction: 41 points (7,6,6 HL) (with ToK and Extended Essay)
UKCAT: 660

I was thinking of maybe applying to King's, Queen Mary's, Birmingham and Liverpool but I don't know if my UKCAT is good enough for King's/queen Mary's??

What do you guy's think?

[INDENT]I flopped my UKCAT test today :'(. I got a total of 2270 with an average of 567.5

I got GCSEs A*AAAAABBBB. I've been given AAA predictions. I've done a lot of work experience.

I was wondering if I could apply to any university at all with that ukcat score for dentistry?

Hi,

GCSE - 7As, 4Bs
AS - BBBB
A2 prediction - AAA
UKCAT - 632.5
Work experience - over 3 weeks
Dental course
Lots of extra curricular, charity work and volunteering.
Very strong personal statement

Do i have a chance for Newcastle(partners), Glasgow, Dundee and Liverpool?
Guys what are my chances of Bristol or Liverpool?

Gcse's: 4 A* 5 A
As-level: AABB (A in biology and chemistry)
Predictions: A*AA
Hello,

I am a lithuanian 12th grade student right now. I'm thinking about studying dentistry or medicine in Bristol, Birmingham, Aberdeen and London (Queen Mary).

My GCSE's: thirteen 10's (highest grade in Lithuania), including chemistry, biology, physics, english and two 9's (maths and lithuanian language).

My UKCAT overall score is 2420 (or 605 average).

I'm predicting my GCE's (chemistry, biology and english) to be 9.5+. State examinations from these subjects: 80%+.

I have no work experience, but I have been the president of our school's Student Council for 1 year. I've also been a part of our school's Council for three years.

Am I good enough? I'm afraid that my UKCAT score is too low.
I was wondering if anyone could tell me if they themselves got in with similar qualifications to me/know anyone who got into ANY university fordentistry with similar qualifications to me? THANKS:

UKCAT - total 2270 (Verbal reasoning - 520, Quantitative reasoning - 620, Abstract reasoning - 640, Decision Analysis - 490). Band 2. Average 567.5

GCSEs - Maths - A*, English Language - B, Chemistry - A, Biology - B, Physics B, Spanish - A, Stats - A, Business - A, Geography - B, English Literature - A.AS Level - ABBC (Business, Biology, Maths, Chemistry respectively)

A2 predictions - AAA
(will be retaking some units, just had really bad exam days and know what mistakes I made, used to get very high grades in mocks).

I don't mind any university at all!!

ALSO, if any of you think I don't have a chance at any university this year for dentistry, let me know! So then I can change my personal statement and don't have to worry about the OCTOBER 15th deadline!

Much appreciated!
(edited 9 years ago)
Hello all where should I apply for dentistry?

Gcse: 3A* 5A 1B
As-level: AABB
Predictions :A*AA
Ukcat: 557.5
which is easier to get into manchester or sheffield or liverpool? i need help to choose 2 of the three. i dont mind either just need to know which is easiest in terms of requirements

gcse: 7a* 3a b
as: aaab
pred: a*aaa
ukcat: 625
Reply 1989
Hello everyone, I need some help deciding between Liverpool, Bristol, Cardiff, Plymouth, Sheffield and Newcastle.
I have 10 A's and 2 B's at GCSE, AAA at Alevel and a 727.5 UKCAT. Can someone please guide me?
Original post by mrchemistry
I was wondering if anyone could tell me if they themselves got in with similar qualifications to me/know anyone who got into ANY university fordentistry with similar qualifications to me? THANKS:

UKCAT - total 2270 (Verbal reasoning - 520, Quantitative reasoning - 620, Abstract reasoning - 640, Decision Analysis - 490). Band 2. Average 567.5

GCSEs - Maths - A*, English Language - B, Chemistry - A, Biology - B, Physics B, Spanish - A, Stats - A, Business - A, Geography - B, English Literature - A.AS Level - ABBC (Business, Biology, Maths, Chemistry respectively)

A2 predictions - AAA
(will be retaking some units, just had really bad exam days and know what mistakes I made, used to get very high grades in mocks).

I don't mind any university at all!!

ALSO, if any of you think I don't have a chance at any university this year for dentistry, let me know! So then I can change my personal statement and don't have to worry about the OCTOBER 15th deadline!

Much appreciated!

Given that both your UKCAT and AS results were disappointing (which in turn means that admissions officers may not have 100% confidence in A2 predictions) you would stand much better chance reapplying next year with achieved grades and good ukcat (you can improve on that score if you invest a lot of time in preparation and invest in online resources/courses) However there is no harm in giving it a shot this year, you have nothing to lose. Do you meet minimum requirements for non-ukcat unis? If so apply there and then apply to those that don't have a reputation for placing much emphasis on UKCAT.
Original post by ECONGIANT
which is easier to get into manchester or sheffield or liverpool? i need help to choose 2 of the three. i dont mind either just need to know which is easiest in terms of requirements

gcse: 7a* 3a b
as: aaab
pred: a*aaa
ukcat: 625

Definitely apply to Liverpool as they don't use UKCAT - they do like sound volunteering/work experience.
My inclination would be Sheffield next..... only because I know someone who had the reverse of you (they had very strong UKCAT but weaker GCSE/AS levels and they got interview at Manchester and rejection from Sheffield, so possibly Manchester put more emphasis on UKCAT) . Tough call though because there is no transparent or reliable info in the public domain where you can discern which dental schools favour which elements of the application.
Original post by Miladrises
Hello all where should I apply for dentistry?

Gcse: 3A* 5A 1B
As-level: AABB
Predictions :A*AA
Ukcat: 557.5

Apply for at least 2 non-ukcat unis for which you meet the requirements.
Original post by lois griffin
Apply for at least 2 non-ukcat unis for which you meet the requirements.

Thanks lois for the reply,

Do you think my grades are good enough for liverpool and bristol (both non-ukcat uni)
Original post by SKM123
Hello everyone, I need some help deciding between Liverpool, Bristol, Cardiff, Plymouth, Sheffield and Newcastle.
I have 10 A's and 2 B's at GCSE, AAA at Alevel and a 727.5 UKCAT. Can someone please guide me?

Its difficult to give definitive advice because it is hard to work out which unis favour which elements of the application. Also much hangs on your personal statement.
First of all if your B grade GCSEs included English you need to double check the entry requirements.
This year it appears that UKCAT scores are down on previous year's average which means that your fab score should help you stand out. Therefore I would not apply to Liverpool or Bristol given that they don't use it.... also Bristol seems to favour very strong GCSE's though I appreciate you have achieved A2's.
Original post by Miladrises
Thanks lois for the reply,

Do you think my grades are good enough for liverpool and bristol (both non-ukcat uni)

YES - I know someone who got Liverpool interview with 2 A* at GCSE. Bristol - grades good enough, they do seem to favour those with strong GCSE's so not sure how competitive you will be, depends on the profile of other applicants.
Original post by ElectricSimon
Hello,

I am a lithuanian 12th grade student right now. I'm thinking about studying dentistry or medicine in Bristol, Birmingham, Aberdeen and London (Queen Mary).

My GCSE's: thirteen 10's (highest grade in Lithuania), including chemistry, biology, physics, english and two 9's (maths and lithuanian language).

My UKCAT overall score is 2420 (or 605 average).

I'm predicting my GCE's (chemistry, biology and english) to be 9.5+. State examinations from these subjects: 80%+.

I have no work experience, but I have been the president of our school's Student Council for 1 year. I've also been a part of our school's Council for three years.

Am I good enough? I'm afraid that my UKCAT score is too low.

It may be better for you to apply next year because you will struggle to get an interview, irrespective of UKCAT score because you don't have any work experience.
For Dentistry you MUST HAVE minimum of two weeks work experience. Admission officers need to be sure that you have properly researched dentistry as a career through work experience so you are sure that you are well suited to dentistry. You also say that you are thinking about studying medicine or too. You really must decide which career is for you in order to focus on your application. For medicine you also need work experience. Competition for places on both courses is fierce and you need to prepare well. Both medical and dental admissions officers also like to see evidence of empathy, team work and communication skills. Most students achieve this through volunteering. Aberdeen does not offer dentistry.
I really don't want to dampen your dream for a career as a health professional but strongly suggest you do more research before applying.
Original post by D4VID
Does anyone know what applying to Glasgow uni is like?- seeing as i've seen it's ranked 1st on the latest Times Uni Guide for dentistry.

The website, (specifically this link http://www.gla.ac.uk/media/media_205414_en.pdf) gives the impression that UKCAT is the most important factor and they basically interview the top 200 UKCAT scorers provided the personal statement etc is of acceptable standard and you have at least BBB at AS.

Can anyone clarify this to me or give me any extra info?- thank you :smile:

It was ranked 1*. Anyway ranking really doesn't matter so don't go judging where to apply based on that, the rankings change so much anyway and it really has no affect on getting a job afterwards. Apply where you have the best chance.
7A*s 2as 2bs 660 Band 1
AAAAB AS
A*A*A predictions
Dentistry come at me
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by frozo123
7A*s 2as 2bs 660 Band 1 A*A*A predictions
Dentistry come at me

While thats good and all, definitely not the best there's ever been. Dentistry isn't all about academics.

Quick Reply

Latest