The Student Room Group

The "Am I Good Enough For Dentistry" Megathread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ak786454
Thanks! That is soo much more motivational... :smile: I definitely see myself going into Dentistry and doing the roles off a Dentist! I just need to be strong definitely I suppose and think positive! Would you be able to tell me what universities you applied too - I'm just doing my research here!

Having such a positive attitude is the way to go. However, you do need to be realistic and may have to consider the gdp route because your GCSEs don't meet the minimum requirement for quite a few dental schools. Check out this link which summarises the requirements (though it is out of date and I think Cardiff now require better grades than indicated here)
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Dentistry_Entry_Requirements
If you apply for the unis where you do meet the requirements + blaze your A levels and UKCAT + get fab work experience then there's no reason why you can't succeed, but it is very competitive.
One of the dentists I worked for got into dentistry on BCC lol those were the days!
(edited 3 years ago)
I think dentistry wasn't nearly as popular back then. Her example of manual dexterity was decorated ginger bread men! Lol and I have replied to your pm :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Well it used to be "if you're not smart enough to be a doctor, become a dentist" so people applying for medicine would put dentistry as their fifth choice :smile: so perhaps that's why it wasn't as popular. It was seen of an inferior :frown:

I'm glad that's kinda changed/changing now though!
(edited 3 years ago)
I'm in the same position as Nikhil95, my stats aren't great and I considered not applying for a few months, but I knew I'd regret it if I didn't at least try. As Nikhil95 did I did my research and there are universities that don't put as much emphasis on GCSE results and academic score. I have an 3/4 interviews (still waiting to hear from Sheffield) and an offer :smile:

If it's what you want to do then go for it honestly, I'm so happy I applied
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by carrellii
I'm in the same position as Nikhil95, my stats aren't great and I considered not applying for a few months, but I knew I'd regret it if I didn't at least try. As Nikhil95 did I did my research and there are universities that don't put as much emphasis on GCSE results and academic score. I have an 3/4 interviews (still waiting to hear from Sheffield) and an offer :smile:

If it's what you want to do then go for it honestly, I'm so happy I applied

where did u get interviews and did you say your results were 'pending'? im predicted 3AS at A2 but doubt im gonna get that :/
Original post by Yasmin-9970
where did u get interviews and did you say your results were 'pending'? im predicted 3AS at A2 but doubt im gonna get that :/

Interviews at Newcastle Leeds and Plymouth. Had an offer from Plymouth. Yeah my results are pending as I haven't completed my A2s. I'm just putting loads of work in this year :smile: I can only do my best

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by carrellii
Interviews at Newcastle Leeds and Plymouth. Had an offer from Plymouth. Yeah my results are pending as I haven't completed my A2s. I'm just putting loads of work in this year :smile: I can only do my best

Posted from TSR Mobile

hoping to apply to leeds bcause you get a masters degree at the end of 5 years so ur giving me hope lol :smile: good luck x
hoping to apply to leeds bcause you get a masters degree at the end of 5 years so ur giving me hope lol :smile: good luck x

I got an interview for Leeds with GCSE's of 2A*'s, 10A's and 2B's and my A2 predicted are AAA. I had a broad range of work experience which is probably the main reason I got an interview. I would highly recommend you start looking for loads of work experience in both private and NHS settings and you should be okay.
i had my plymouth interview in december, they put me on the waiting list :confused: rejected from cardiff not heard from sheff or liv, but got a chem eng offer...any comments
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by khannnn
I got an interview for Leeds with GCSE's of 2A*'s, 10A's and 2B's and my A2 predicted are AAA. I had a broad range of work experience which is probably the main reason I got an interview. I would highly recommend you start looking for loads of work experience in both private and NHS settings and you should be okay.

Well done! Can i ask what your stats are? Im planning on emailing losds of dentists this week for w/e in july
Original post by khannnn

Well done! Can i ask what your stats are? Im planning on emailing losds of dentists this week for w/e in july

Thankyou! Currently in Year 13 doing bio, chem and maths, ABBB at AS (4th AS in Business studies) - If that's what you meant by stats?

That's good, get as much w/e as you can. The more variety of the different types of dentistry you can see the better. Calling them up or going in to ask in person will be better than emailing. I emailed so many but hardly any of them ever responded.
Im looking into dentistry but is it too difficult? Im in year 10 and really have no idea what path to pursue. Would you recommend dentistry?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Unlikely_master
Im looking into dentistry but is it too difficult? Im in year 10 and really have no idea what path to pursue. Would you recommend dentistry?

Posted from TSR Mobile

look into the career and what It involves, you still have a lot of time and at the end of the day its about your opinion not others- it a stable career but you've gotta like what youre doing- goodluck:smile:
I had 5A* 4A and 3Bs at GCSE are these grades good enough for kings college dentistry?
Reply 2056
Original post by Bethanw12
I had 5A* 4A and 3Bs at GCSE are these grades good enough for kings college dentistry?

Yeah they are, I have similar ones and got an interview
Original post by mmp97
Yeah they are, I have similar ones and got an interview

Thank you, how much work experience is needed?
Reply 2058
Original post by Bethanw12
Thank you, how much work experience is needed?

I've done 11 days, but it's really about what you learn rather than how long you spend there!
Original post by mmp97
I've done 11 days, but it's really about what you learn rather than how long you spend there!

Okay thank you! Have you had your interview yet?

Quick Reply

Latest