The Student Room Group

The "Am I Good Enough For Dentistry" Megathread

Scroll to see replies

would you advise me to do or participate in anything else????
anyone please?????
Reply 382
just make sure that you can demonstrate that you have life outside of school, that you are not just sitting with books all the time. they want to know that you will be able to have a good work/life balance and that you won't burn yourself out.
with regards to QR - the score sucks but most people do a lot better when you sit the actual exam. instead of practising questions, get lots of practice on data interpretation and make sure you know your mean, median and mode and know how to work things out quickly. percentages also came up a lot. don't waste too much time trying to get it done as quickly as possible, when you are at home you won't be getting the same adrenalin kick as when you do the real thing. Instead make sure you know how to do the stuff i mentioned. btw there will be more than what i just said but that's what I remember most of my questions were about.
and good luck!
hey
i am a student in ireland an i would like to study dentistry in the uk!!
here is some info about me and i am hoping if ayone could gauge my chances of getting into dentistry in bristol manchester sheffield or cardiff?
thanks alot guys.

junior cert results(like gcse):7A's and 2B's

leaving cert predicted results:6A's and 1B

Work exp:4 weeks with gp...2 weeks with another gp...1 week with orthodontist...1 week with oral/maxillofacial surgeon.

sports/hobbies/interests:tongue:lay basketball(won trophies)....play pool...like soldering circuits, model making ships and working with enginesengines

Thanks alot....and my practice ukcat results are:
VR:635
QR:370..not enough time in that
AR:647
DA:632
Reply 384
Which unis should I apply to?
Im thinking KCL, Barts, Cardiff and Birmingham? mainly because they are the closest to me...

GCSEs: 10.5A* 3A
A level predictions: 5A* (Bio chem phys maths and further maths)

Grade 8 Violin, teach violin (entered pupil for grade 1, pending result)
Almost finished Gold D of E
Play badminton in club off season

2 weeks GDP
3 days orthodontics + max fax
1 day ortho
1 week GP (medical)

UKCAT: 755
and how and where do i demonstrate i have a life outside of school...would you advise me to take up anything or volunteer???
Hey guys,

I'm going to be applying for dentistry in 2011. I've wanted to be a dentist literally since like yr 9, i've got work experience of like 2 weeks in general practice and now i've managed to secure another week at another place. My GCSE'S are good, but i'm really worried about my AS's, don't feel like im going to do well at all :frown:

Will bad AS's place me at a really big disadvantage compared to others who will have like four or five A's and solid GCSE's?

Any advice would be much appreciated :smile:
cosmobear92
Hey guys,

I'm going to be applying for dentistry in 2011. I've wanted to be a dentist literally since like yr 9, i've got work experience of like 2 weeks in general practice and now i've managed to secure another week at another place. My GCSE'S are good, but i'm really worried about my AS's, don't feel like im going to do well at all :frown:

Will bad AS's place me at a really big disadvantage compared to others who will have like four or five A's and solid GCSE's?

Any advice would be much appreciated :smile:

My advice would be to just wait and see how the results are cos they might not be as bad as you think. If you have loads of a*s at gcse then they could override your as grades or if you get a high ukcat score that would put you at an advantage. Also what the dental schools are really interested in is if you can get the grades at a2 so if you are predicted AAA then you should be fine. Best of luck.
kbountra
My advice would be to just wait and see how the results are cos they might not be as bad as you think. If you have loads of a*s at gcse then they could override your as grades or if you get a high ukcat score that would put you at an advantage. Also what the dental schools are really interested in is if you can get the grades at a2 so if you are predicted AAA then you should be fine. Best of luck.

Hmmmm ...
thanks for the advice,my GCSE's are good enough I think,
but I know I messed up AS Physics so badly :frown:
JONNYCMW
Which unis should I apply to?
Im thinking KCL, Barts, Cardiff and Birmingham? mainly because they are the closest to me...

GCSEs: 10.5A* 3A
A level predictions: 5A* (Bio chem phys maths and further maths)

Grade 8 Violin, teach violin (entered pupil for grade 1, pending result)
Almost finished Gold D of E
Play badminton in club off season

2 weeks GDP
3 days orthodontics + max fax
1 day ortho
1 week GP (medical)

UKCAT: 755

Nice you've already done your UKCAT then?

I reckon you've got a place already, as long as you don't cock up the interview and personal statement.
Reply 390
BackDoorEntry
Nice you've already done your UKCAT then?

I reckon you've got a place already, as long as you don't cock up the interview and personal statement.

Youre too kind :smile:

yeah our school wanted us to do it in July so they could drive us there... i was contemplating delaying it so that I could revise over the holidays - oh well
JONNYCMW
Youre too kind :smile:

yeah our school wanted us to do it in July so they could drive us there... i was contemplating delaying it so that I could revise over the holidays - oh well

I'm not being kind I'm just telling the truth.

Unis want most of:

High GCSE scores
High A level predictions
High UKCAT scores
A healthy combo of extracurricular and work experience
Good PS

I don't see a reason why any uni can reject you
Reply 392
GCSE: 3A*s 3As and 4Bs
set for 2 As and an A* for a level though
my teachers said i underperformed at GCSE and i know i did, but i've serioulsy stepped it up this year and have loads of work experience and am determined to become a dentist
will my average GCSE results hold me back though, even if they do technically meet the minimum requirments for the uni's im applying to?
i'm only asking because many people who apply have better GCSEs than me and i'm worried i won't be given a chance compared to them!
Reply 393
Very possibly... I'm not an expert though.
And it probably depends what the Bs are in as well

I think getting experience and better A Level grades is more important though, as they'll care more about that
Depends on the university. Which ones were you planning on applying to.
Reply 395
A*s - chemistry, R.s, english Lit
As - Biology, Art, History
Bs - Maths, physics, german and english language (not the best to get Bs in i know!)
annoyingly i was 2 or 3 ums off from getting As :-/ should have worked harder!
Reply 396
MadnessRed
Depends on the university. Which ones were you planning on applying to.

Leeds, Newcastle, Kings and Queen Mary if my UKCAT score is high, otherwise Cardiff!
Reply 397
I suddenly feel really dumb. My GCSEs suck compared to that.

Some universities like Oxbridge, LSE, etc. do care about GCSEs and if you want to go to a Top Ten Uni then the results aren't great. I know that Cardiff doesn't put too much emphasis on GCSEs but I'm not sure about the others. I figure as long as you aren't going into maths, physics, german or english language then it should be fine. It isn't like you failed any.

EDIT: Just noticed this was in Dentistry. The Maths GCSE is going to give you a few problems but other than that it shouldn't be terrible.
I dont know about dental industry, but i got similar gcse and got into vet science and my twin got worse gcse and got into med. Those to are both extreamly competative and similar to dentistry and our GCSE didnt hold us back. I imagine as long as you are predicted A at A level you will be fine.
Do very well in the other areas of your application (Work exp, volunteering, UKCAT, personal statement, possibly interview) and they may overlook it.

Quick Reply

Latest