The Student Room Group

The "Am I Good Enough For Dentistry" Megathread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 580
is 3A* 6A 2B okay for dentistry? can i still go to a uni like Birmingham university..obviously i will have to work hard for a levels and get As in bio and chem ...but seriously are these gcse grades ok or did i need more A*s?..!!!!!!!!!
Reply 581
here are my results for gcse
a-in chem

b-in biology, physics(will hopefully be remarked) , maths(will hopefully be remarked) , english lit, geog, ict, relgious studies

c-in english lang (will hopefully be remarked)

i was predicted a grades for my bio, physics, math and english but i guess i failed. i had my heart set on dentistry but now im wondering whether i will get in. can anyone tell me whether i have a chance of getting into dentistry and what i could do to bolster my application form if i have a chance.

appreciate the help and thanks in advance
regards
I have the same problem as you except I got a B in chemistry and a C in physics.
all I can say to help is that there still is a chance for you, work hard for your AS and A-levels, get work experience and have a good personal statement and you should be fine!
Reply 583
and if the above fails, go and get a degree first (biomedicine, biochemistry etc....) and then apply as a graduate student.
You have to be realistic. You're competing with many, many people with far better GCSE's. Unless you turn it around wen don your A-Levels and have an amazng PS and UKCAT score then I fear for your chances.
charkovsky
how r universitys on resit gap year students?
Got 1 A*4 As 3 Bs and a C at GCSE.
ABBC @ A2 both B's are close to A's. retaking them.. i took 4 subjects cuz im an idiot.
A in biology B in maths and chem C in economics. Chemistry I need to redo an ISA and maths 1 module. UKCAT last year was 660 but revising alot more going for 700+ and i may soon have a job working at a medical centre. This along with alot of work experience. Last year i applied to Manchester, KCL,QMUL, and Cardiff. Got an offer from QMUL but didnt make it. This year want to apply to KCL, Leeds, Sheffield, Newcastle. Last year I got predicted A in maths and Biology B in chemistry and Economics. This year im going for A* predicitons as I may retake more modules for them. What do you think my chances are?
Thanks.

I missed my dentistry offer too and I know it's a really annoying position to be in. My best advice would be not to reapply to dentistry as dental schools seriously discourage resit candidates.
KCL- I phoned them up and was told that retake candidates will not be made offers
Newcastle- don't consider resits
Sheffield- do consider resists but show v. strong preference to first time applicants
Leeds- will consider resits but this is the most competitive dental school at 18:1
Reply 586
sorry to hear about that.

did you narrowly miss it, because you could call your firm and tell them that.

Have you sent off fro any remarks?

kbountra
I missed my dentistry offer too and I know it's a really annoying position to be in. My best advice would be not to reapply to dentistry as dental schools seriously discourage resit candidates.
KCL- I phoned them up and was told that retake candidates will not be made offers
Newcastle- don't consider resits
Sheffield- do consider resists but show v. strong preference to first time applicants
Leeds- will consider resits but this is the most competitive dental school at 18:1
Reply 587
PrettyBrownEyes
I have the same problem as you except I got a B in chemistry and a C in physics.
all I can say to help is that there still is a chance for you, work hard for your AS and A-levels, get work experience and have a good personal statement and you should be fine!

thanks for the tips.
when did you get your gcse results, this year or are you already studying dentistry?
Reply 588
FoOtYdUdE
You have to be realistic. You're competing with many, many people with far better GCSE's. Unless you turn it around wen don your A-Levels and have an amazng PS and UKCAT score then I fear for your chances.

ive already grasped that but i still wanna do dentistry. i know i can get minimum a's in my a level choices ( maths, bio, chem, ict) because for the modules of those subjects in gcse i got a's and a*'s.

if i get excellent grades for as and a level exams would i have a chance?
ibeforee
thanks for the tips.
when did you get your gcse results, this year or are you already studying dentistry?

I got my results this year. Would be encouraging if I told you I was already studying dentistry I know :/
Reply 590
PrettyBrownEyes
I got my results this year. Would be encouraging if I told you I was already studying dentistry I know :/

yeah it would...
ah well good luck in the future.
ibeforee
ive already grasped that but i still wanna do dentistry. i know i can get minimum a's in my a level choices ( maths, bio, chem, ict) because for the modules of those subjects in gcse i got a's and a*'s.

if i get excellent grades for as and a level exams would i have a chance?

Give it a go. If Jan exams go well then deffo go for it. If they don't then errr upteh u. I wish u luck. x
free-help
Are you on about the 4 Bs you got at GCSE? They shouldn't be a problem as long as you look at the GCSE entry requirement for the school that you wish to apply to and check whether they require an A or not at GCSE level. Your A-level predicted grades are normally based on your AS grades, and not you GCSE grades. Realistically, you'd need to be predicted AAA/AAB to even have a chance of getting in.

I'm not too worried about the Bs in Science at GCSE because I know exactly where I went wrong there. What I am worried about though, is that those Bs will mean I will be predicted BBB at A Level, but I'm pretty sure I'll work hard enough to get AABB at AS at least! Would universities not overlook my predicted grades if I had a strong personal statement?
BackDoorEntry
I would imagine so.. Unis generally expect sum1 who's predicted fr example AAA, to be achieving A's or maybe a B or two. Predicted BBB means they think your full potential is BBB, which is below the AAB min requirements

If I don't get predicted the appropriate grades, then gap year it is. :|
Sighrawr
I'm not too worried about the Bs in Science at GCSE because I know exactly where I went wrong there. What I am worried about though, is that those Bs will mean I will be predicted BBB at A Level, but I'm pretty sure I'll work hard enough to get AABB at AS at least! Would universities not overlook my predicted grades if I had a strong personal statement?

You will apply to dentistry this time next year, when you join college you get prediction AS these don't mean much, and easily change. What unis see is your A2 Predictions, these are based on your AS results. You've got some good grades at the moment, so just go ahead and get good AS results and good predictions for A2.
Alex_and_er
You will apply to dentistry this time next year, when you join college you get prediction AS these don't mean much, and easily change. What unis see is your A2 Predictions, these are based on your AS results. You've got some good grades at the moment, so just go ahead and get good AS results and good predictions for A2.

I think that's what I needed to know; whether AS predicted grades matter a lot or not. I'm going to (try to) get those As at AS and hopefully, I'll be a Dentistry fresher in a couple years time. Thanks. :smile:
Reply 596
Raj K
is 3A* 6A 2B okay for dentistry? can i still go to a uni like Birmingham university..obviously i will have to work hard for a levels and get As in bio and chem ...but seriously are these gcse grades ok or did i need more A*s?..!!!!!!!!!

i got 3A* 5A 2B so very close to yours, and ive wanted to be a dentist for ages now, you should be fine with them results, they meet the requirements of most dental schools, just make sure you do well at a-level now, loads of work experince, and a good UKCAT score. dont bother applying to b'ham, they want 7A*'s at GCSE and bristol are biased aswell, other dental schools are pretty sound with them results, good luck ! :yep:
dpsingh
i got 3A* 5A 2B so very close to yours, and ive wanted to be a dentist for ages now, you should be fine with them results, they meet the requirements of most dental schools, just make sure you do well at a-level now, loads of work experince, and a good UKCAT score. dont bother applying to b'ham, they want 7A*'s at GCSE and bristol are biased aswell, other dental schools are pretty sound with them results, good luck ! :yep:

7 A*s (Well actually 8.5 A*s now) is for medicine, people have been offered/interviewed with lower grades, they expect 5 As in Biology, Chemistry, Physics (or Double Science), English Language (Literature can be used instead) and Maths, as long as your Bs aren't in there, you can feel free to apply to Birmingham and Bristol!
Reply 598
livin4theweekend
Hi! I am from Ireland and i got 2 As and 2 Bs at as level. I sooo wanna do Dentistry and obvs i cant get into Queens, Dundee and Glasgow as i dont have the grades at as required. Scared bout applying to unis like Cardiff, Liverpool, etc. Can anyone please let me know if 2 as and 2 bs is even enough to apply to Cardiff, Liverpool etc.? and what these unis are like....destination, town itself, making friends, etc. ???? thank you sooo much. would really appreciate it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

why can't you apply to glasgow? their entry requirement is AAB if you predicted AAB, which is the same as cardiff etc, then you can.
Reply 599
last week i got my gcse results and i'd like to know if i've limited my chances with them and if there are any universities i'm going to have to stay away from applying to :s-smilie:

Biology-A*
Chemistry-A*
R.S-A*
Statistics-A*
Maths-A
Physics-A
English Lang-A
English Lit-A
Music-A
ICT-A
History-A
Art-B