The Student Room Group

The "Am I Good Enough For Dentistry" Megathread

Scroll to see replies

Hi,

GCSEs: 8A*, 2A
AS: A (Chemistry), B (Psychology), C (Biology) and C (Maths)

I want to apply to King's, Birmingham, Cardiff and two others.

So should I continue applying? Which other universities should I consider? I do have work experiences etc
Also do these universities accept AS resits?

I'm predicted AAB (Chem, Psy, Bio)

Thanks
Reply 781
Hmm I think you need too "slightly less reputable unis" as back ups :smile:

But definitely keep applying, you got great grades and good AS choices.

Try nottingham trent or err oxford brookes, leeds met or liverpool john moores places like that, then if you get dropped by the others you still got a place

Hope this helps!

Just pm me if you need more help
Reply 782
universities dont really look at AS grades that much.

Jellytots122
I heard that dental schools don't really look at AS's?? So if you get the predicted grades I would say your fine! I think you should carry on! Good luck! :smile: Oh and with birmingham I think they may look at AS's??
Reply 783
ScaryKid_ScaringKids
Hi,

So should I continue applying? Which other universities should I consider? I do have work experiences etc

Thanks

Please tell me you're joking :biggrin: have you read into applying for dentistry at all?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 784
AstraDyne
Don't worry about the C grades - they won't hurt you.

For A-levels you need AAA and there's no point worrying about what you need on the ukcat as there are only a couple of places that take it seriously.

ok, thanks for info but are my grades good enough? I am mostly likely gonna apply to at least one uni with ukcat so suggestions would be useful. Btw would building models count as showing manual dexterity?
Reply 785
ok, thanks for info but are my grades good enough? I am mostly likely gonna apply to at least one uni with ukcat so suggestions would be useful. Btw would building models count as showing manual dexterity?

Your grades are fine.

The reason I'm saying don't worry about the UKCAT is that until you take the test you can't really get a sense of what kind of score you are are going to get. So it's pointless thinking 'I need a 650' or whatever as you have no sense from the practice material whether you are in this zone or not. You can only take the UKCAT once in each test cycle and you get the results instantly, so its at that point that its worth looking into whether your score is competitive for where you want to go.

Building models is fine for manual dexterity :smile:
Reply 786
are you applying to dentistry? where you thinking of applying?

ochoa1
Please tell me you're joking :biggrin: have you read into applying for dentistry at all?
Reply 787
AstraDyne
Your grades are fine.

The reason I'm saying don't worry about the UKCAT is that until you take the test you can't really get a sense of what kind of score you are are going to get. So it's pointless thinking 'I need a 650' or whatever as you have no sense from the practice material whether you are in this zone or not. You can only take the UKCAT once in each test cycle and you get the results instantly, so its at that point that its worth looking into whether your score is competitive for where you want to go.

Building models is fine for manual dexterity :smile:

thanks for your help :smile:
Reply 788
ScaryKid_ScaringKids
Hi,

Thanks

You will need to be predicted AAA to have a chance at getting an interview (unless you are from an under-achieving school, in which case Kings *might* look at you).
If you are serious about Dentistry, then maybe talk to your teachers and see if there's any chance you'd be predicted an A in Biology, as you MUST have AAA.
hey
i am a student in ireland an i would like to study dentistry in the uk!!
here is some info about me and i am hoping if ayone could gauge my chances of getting into dentistry in bristol manchester sheffield or cardiff?
thanks alot guys.

junior cert results(like gcse):7A's and 2B's

leaving cert predicted results:5A's and 2B

Work exp:4 weeks with gp...2 weeks with another gp...1 week with orthodontist...

sports/hobbies/interests:tongue:lay basketball(won trophies)....play pool...like soldering, model making ships, drawing free-hand, calligraphy and engines

Thanks alot....and my ukcat results is 592.5
Reply 790
hamadaaa94
hey
i am a student in ireland an i would like to study dentistry in the uk!!
here is some info about me and i am hoping if ayone could gauge my chances of getting into dentistry in bristol manchester sheffield or cardiff?
thanks alot guys.

junior cert results(like gcse):7A's and 2B's

leaving cert predicted results:5A's and 2B

Work exp:4 weeks with gp...2 weeks with another gp...1 week with orthodontist...

sports/hobbies/interests:tongue:lay basketball(won trophies)....play pool...like soldering, model making ships, drawing free-hand, calligraphy and engines

Thanks alot....and my ukcat results is 592.5

I'm afraid Sheffield will require a much higher UKCAT score than that - something around 650+.
Manchester also use UKCAT, but only for borderline students, so you should be fine there. No one seems to know how Cardiff use UKCAT, but they seem to look at all parts of the application, so if other parts of your application are strong then you may be alright.

You have plenty enough work experience, as well as good manual dexterity and lots of extra curricular.

I cannot comment on your results, as I don't know how the Irish results compare to English ones - over here you need AAA at A level, but that's obviously just 3 subjects. If the websites don't say what you need as an Irish equivalent, then just drop them an email or call and they'll be able to tell you what you need academically.

Good luck!
I really need some advice. I have always wanted to do dentistry but have never had the confidence or thought i did not have the brains for it.

However, i have decided to take the leap long last but just do not know if i am being realistic as i have poor GCSE grades and did not take the correct A levels.

I have:

11 gcses - A,A,B,B,B,B,B,C,C,C,C

Psychology A Sociology B

Bsc dental technology (hons) 1st

I am currently working as a dental nurse since graduating in june and am due to sit my exam in March.

I am going to resit one gcse this year and two next year to hopefully attain A's to make them look not so bad.

I am also going to be doing Biology and Chemistry A levels next year and hopefully gain the A grades i need.

Do unis accept students resitting their GCSE's ? As I am willing to do what ever it takes. i feel i have the right knowledge and background and am only 21 so am still young enough to do my A levels and GCSE's again ?

Is this possible or am i being stupid? :confused:
Reply 792
Dental tech
I really need some advice. I have always wanted to do dentistry but have never had the confidence or thought i did not have the brains for it.

However, i have decided to take the leap long last but just do not know if i am being realistic as i have poor GCSE grades and did not take the correct A levels.

I have:

Psychology A Sociology B

I am currently working as a dental nurse since graduating in june and am due to sit my exam in March.

I am going to resit one gcse this year and two next year to hopefully attain A's to make them look not so bad.

I am also going to be doing Biology and Chemistry A levels next year and hopefully gain the A grades i need.

Do unis accept students resitting their GCSE's ? As I am willing to do what ever it takes. i feel i have the right knowledge and background and am only 21 so am still young enough to do my A levels and GCSE's again ?

A biomedically related degree is what most unis ask for. I think your best option is to phone up/email universities and find out they'll accept you degree plus Nursing cert. I doubt GCSE's will matter too much, you have a 1st! Btw, Sheffield say they'll accept a recognised Dental Nursing qualification plus BB in chemistry and Biology A-level.
Dental tech

I have:

Psychology A Sociology B

I don't think you need to bother repeating any gcses etc. Graduate entry dental schools don't look at your school qualifications- they are purely interested in your degree, it's classification and relevant work experience.
Your 1st will put you in a great position.
Reply 794
However, grad entry dental schools still require 3 A levels (either at AAA, BBB or CCC, depending on the uni), including 2 sciences. So you will still need to do Chem & Biol A levels as you suggested, though I doubt it's worth re-taking you GCSEs.

As you don't have the science A levels, you may be able to apply for the 6 year foundation courses (dentistry, but in 6 years as they do A level equivalent of chem & biol).
Original post by The Toffy
I got a C at GCSE english and applied for dentistry. It does hinder your chances as most schools want at least a B. I'm resitting it this year, it is worth trying to resit if possible to bring the grade up.

hey is there an Interview needed for entry into newcastle biomed science?????
can i apply to it with the grades in my sig but a totaly "I LOVE DENTISTRY" personla statement?
Reply 796
im doing my GCSEs at the moment in Year 11
i got a B :frown: in core science
im doing additional science preicted to get A

will that B affect me in the future.
Reply 797
Original post by usman098
im doing my GCSEs at the moment in Year 11
i got a B :frown: in core science
im doing additional science preicted to get A

will that B affect me in the future.

Yes, you will be rejected from all dental schools and will never be destined to become a dentistry.

Only joking .... shouldn't be a problem if you think smart and apply to the right dental schools. :colondollar:
Original post by kbountra

thanks for the reply, i would not be considered for graduate entry only peninsula would consider me as dental technology does not have enough biology :s-smilie:. never mind though!

Also, you cant do the 6 year foundation if you hav a BSc which is again a pain, and a couple of unis such as bristol have suggested i try to get 5 gcses at A grade as this is their entry criteria.

i just feel that its so stupid how they can put so much on your gcses ! as if you are not allow to make mistakes at the age of 16!

does anyone know of any dental technician graduates who have gone on to do dentistry ? i know a couple but do not know much about their A levels and gcses.
Reply 799
I might as well post, seeing as I'm on the forum constantly since I sent the damn thing off.

GCSEs: 4 A*s,5 As,3 Bs

A- Levels: Biology- A Chemistry- B German-B

Degree Prediction: 2:1 (Leeds, Medical Sciences)

UKCAT: 665

Work Experience- About a month total. 2 weeks general (mainly NHS), 2 days hospital, 3 days maxfax, 3 days orthodontics, 2 days periodontics, 1 day dental lab.

Extra curricular: St. John ambulance, 2 committee positions, peer mentor, student ambassador.

Universities: Leeds, Liverpool (UG), Newcastle, Manchester

Quick Reply

Latest