The Student Room Group

The "Am I Good Enough For Dentistry" Megathread

Scroll to see replies

Has anyone been accepted/gone to university without any physics at all, even gcse/standard grade? If I crashed higher physics(Scotland) this year, would it be better to have a B at best in it or not at all in case it went badly and I got a C?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by Justneedsomehelp
Thanks for clearing up, also just wanted to ask, if you know, that after your VT year, do you have to go back to uni and sit an exam.

No you don't have to, you can decide to go into general practice and i think hospital such as max fax- staff grade.
however if you want to become an orthodontist it takes about 7 more years to qualify.
To become a max fax consultant you need to do medicine on top of dentistry,
If you want to specialize and become say an endodontist you have to go back and train :smile:
Might aswell add my information up here and see what people think
despite me feeling like crap after todays results:

GCSES: 5 A* 4 A 3 B (A*s in three sciences and maths , A in english language)
AS LEVELS: BBBD ( Bio , Chem , Eco , Maths )
WE:
3 months Private and NHS dentist
3 months voluntary tutor at education center
1 Week nursing home
1 Week chemicals laboratory
Ukcat: 620.

Do i even stand a chance of getting in ?
Original post by Alphaxtroop
Might aswell add my information up here and see what people think
despite me feeling like crap after todays results:

GCSES: 5 A* 4 A 3 B (A*s in three sciences and maths , A in english language)
AS LEVELS: BBBD ( Bio , Chem , Eco , Maths )
WE:
3 months Private and NHS dentist
3 months voluntary tutor at education center
1 Week nursing home
1 Week chemicals laboratory
Ukcat: 620.

Do i even stand a chance of getting in ?

If your predicted grades are AAA, then yes you can apply and emphasis will be placed on your A2 predictions. Do you think you'll be able to improve your grades to AAA with resits?

Think carefully about where you apply, your UKCAT is good but it's probably not competitive for some schools. Newcastle, Glasgow, Sheffield, King's College are known to interview applicants who get higher scores 640+.

You're GCSE grades are quite good so maybe apply to 2x non-UKCAT universities and 2x UKCAT?

You could apply to:

Leeds
Birmingham
Bristol
Liverpool
Manchester

Find out what your A2 predictions are before you do anything else.
Original post by TempleRun
If your predicted grades are AAA, then yes you can apply and emphasis will be placed on your A2 predictions. Do you think you'll be able to improve your grades to AAA with resits?

Think carefully about where you apply, your UKCAT is good but it's probably not competitive for some schools. Newcastle, Glasgow, Sheffield, King's College are known to interview applicants who get higher scores 640+.

You're GCSE grades are quite good so maybe apply to 2x non-UKCAT universities and 2x UKCAT?

You could apply to:

Leeds
Birmingham
Bristol
Liverpool
Manchester

Find out what your A2 predictions are before you do anything else.

Okay thanks :smile: i can confirm that my predicted grades are AAA , so i guess i'll just apply to ones from the list you stated , do you know of any universities that place a large emphasis on Work experience ? As i have quite alot ut in truth ive done alot of stuff in say: those 3 months in the dental practice like fillings and other practical work , also do you know if access to leeds is considered when leeds make their offers ad call for interview ?
Original post by Alphaxtroop
Okay thanks :smile: i can confirm that my predicted grades are AAA , so i guess i'll just apply to ones from the list you stated , do you know of any universities that place a large emphasis on Work experience ? As i have quite alot ut in truth ive done alot of stuff in say: those 3 months in the dental practice like fillings and other practical work , also do you know if access to leeds is considered when leeds make their offers ad call for interview ?

Leeds LOVE lots and lots of work experience, especially in a variety of dental settings which you have. :smile: I will be applying there too, so you will be my rival. They receive the most applicants, around 1500 applied last year for 81 places. If you're successful on the access programme, your offer will be slightly lowered. :biggrin:
Original post by TempleRun
Leeds LOVE lots and lots of work experience, especially in a variety of dental settings which you have. :smile: I will be applying there too, so you will be my rival. They receive the most applicants, around 1500 applied last year for 81 places. If you're successful on the access programme, your offer will be slightly lowered. :biggrin:

Awsome , well i hope we BOTH get in :P , thanks for your help , i appreciate it.
Reply 1187
Just got terrible AS results, aanyone kind enough to tell me if i should go for dentistry if my ukcat goes well?
GCSE: 3A*s 7A's
AS:ABCC -eng bio, maths chem
4 Weeks at GDP
4 months voluntary at jewish care home
1 month voluntary at st jhons ambulence (little kids)
1 week at a hospital...
various other work experiences..optitions and stuff...
Main concern is my as result..i geuss ill be predicted A* A B....so..i dont know if i should bother applying.
Original post by Rushika
Just got terrible AS results, aanyone kind enough to tell me if i should go for dentistry if my ukcat goes well?
GCSE: 3A*s 7A's
AS:ABCC -eng bio, maths chem
4 Weeks at GDP
4 months voluntary at jewish care home
1 month voluntary at st jhons ambulence (little kids)
1 week at a hospital...
various other work experiences..optitions and stuff...
Main concern is my as result..i geuss ill be predicted A* A B....so..i dont know if i should bother applying.

I'm a volunteer for Jewish care too ..... if that's even what you said above lol :smile:
i think you should apply if you can convince your teachers to predict you A*AA - BEG!!
you have good gcse's and work experience and apparently man unis don't even look at you as grades.
Reply 1189
Original post by jojo1995
I'm a volunteer for Jewish care too ..... if that's even what you said above lol :smile:
i think you should apply if you can convince your teachers to predict you A*AA - BEG!!
you have good gcse's and work experience and apparently man unis don't even look at you as grades.

i dont think he'll do it, which care home are you at ? and , im thinking i might get my results and apply next year if my results are awesome, maybe apply for optometry this year
Reply 1190
Is maths needed for dentistry???
Original post by FareedP

If you bothered to check the websites, you'd know that it isn't needed ...
Original post by Rushika
i dont think he'll do it, which care home are you at ? and , im thinking i might get my results and apply next year if my results are awesome, maybe apply for optometry this year

Yeah, that's another option considering your AS's were quite good - well done :smile:
I at a branch in hendon, london :biggrin:
Original post by FareedP

No - only bio chem and any additional subject excluding general studies or critical thinking.
Reply 1194
Yeah, that's another option considering your AS's were quite good - well done :smile:
I at a branch in hendon, london :biggrin:

My as's are my prooblem :frown: their too low to do dentistry, if only id hit that B in chemistry .... and im at ilford :smile:
Original post by Rushika
My as's are my prooblem :frown: their too low to do dentistry, if only id hit that B in chemistry .... and im at ilford :smile:

The plus side of applying next year, is that if you get the a-level results you need AAA, then universities will give you a unconditional offer, so come results day the following year you don't have to stress about not meeting getting your grades because you already have them. also it gives you more time to strengthen your application, you will be fine trust me :smile:
Reply 1196
The plus side of applying next year, is that if you get the a-level results you need AAA, then universities will give you a unconditional offer, so come results day the following year you don't have to stress about not meeting getting your grades because you already have them. also it gives you more time to strengthen your application, you will be fine trust me :smile:

well , i need to convince my parents for that gap year after i get those amazing results...they think the gap year wont work out :frown: ....for now they think i should apply to whatever else i find interesting..
Original post by Rushika
well , i need to convince my parents for that gap year after i get those amazing results...they think the gap year wont work out :frown: ....for now they think i should apply to whatever else i find interesting..

If dentistry is what you want to do most i advise you to go for it , but if there are other subjects that you are also interested in, i think you should investigate and do some work experience say a an opticians for optometry - and take it from there (or even just research online like talk to optometry students, considering the time and stress it often takes to find work experience) - make sure you can see yourself in the future with that* degree.
good luck with everything ! if you need any advice and stuff, i'd be happy to help :smile:
Reply 1198
If dentistry is what you want to do most i advise you to go for it , but if there are other subjects that you are also interested in, i think you should investigate and do some work experience say a an opticians for optometry - and take it from there (or even just research online like talk to optometry students, considering the time and stress it often takes to find work experience) - make sure you can see yourself in the future with that* degree.
good luck with everything ! if you need any advice and stuff, i'd be happy to help :smile:

Thanks for your help, it feels good to still have some options left, i can still applly to optometry and pharmacy, just need to figure which one..who knows maybe dentistry wasnt meant to be for me.
I have AAB in Biology, Chemistry and Latin A Levels, an A* in the Extended Project and a B in AS Maths.

I have phoned Glasgow, and they said they would consider me for their dentistry course as the grades are AAB.

Do I stand any chance?

Quick Reply

Latest