The Student Room Group

The "Am I Good Enough For Dentistry" Megathread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1380
Hey guys, I want to apply for dentistry next year (in year 12 now) but wanted to know what extra stuff I should do to help me strengthen my application and also where I can apply with my GCSE grades.

I'm doing biology chemistry economics and maths for AS hoping to drop economics at A2.

GCSE- 4A* 5A 1B (B was drama)

I've volunteered at a care home once a week for 6 months, I've volunteered at a library for 3 months 2 hours a week, and I'm starting another care home this week which I'm hoping to do till February.

So far I have 2 weeks work experience with an oral surgeon, and I'm hoping to get it up to 4 weeks by the time I apply next year.

I'm on grade 4 piano, and I'm a science mentor at school and have a sports leadership award! :smile:

I'd be really grateful for anyyy help!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1381
Am I good enough for dentistry?
I am doing the IB Diploma.
Eng B HL - 7
Chem HL - 6
Bio HL - 6
Maths SL - 7
Econ SL - 6
Turkish A SL - 6
UKCAT: 530 :frown:
I am planning on applying to Bristol, Liverpool, Cardiff and Dundee.
I greatly appreciate for any advice.
Thank you :smile:
Am I good enough ? Just did my UKCAT, didnt go as well as i thought :frown: so this is how my application looks like:

UKCAT:
VR: 470 (total shamble)
QR: 680
AR:660
DA: 710
Overall :630

GCSE: A*A*AAAAABBB (A*'s in bio and chem, A's in maths english)

AS: AABB
A-level: A (did A-level maths a year early)

Work experience:
2weeks GDP (private and NHS), 1 day oral&max (NHS), 5 days ortho(NHS), 1 day dental lab.
QMUL open day, mixed the ingredients and took and impression of a model of teeth.
Tested strength of different filling materials and learnt that different materials used for different situations and teeth

Voluntary work:
Went to Algeria and helped teach primary school students fundamental english words and phrases. Did this on 2 occasions, each time for 3 weeks.
Mentored AS-level Maths students as I had studied the content a year early, and GCSE maths students; Students achieved one grade higher than predicted.
Helped around in dental surgery for a week due to shortage in nurses; this includes applying suction, and protection from Blue light when setting fillings, and insuring the surgery as a whole was kept clean.

Extra curricular activites:
Full time member of a fitness gym, been attending for half a year.

So guys, are my dreams shattered due to my under performance in VR, or do i still have hope ? please quote me in reply

Intended unis to apply to:
KCL
QMUL
Birmingham
Plymouth
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1383
Who sat the ukcat tests on the ukcat website??? Did you find it harder that the actual ukcat test on the day???
Original post by Shangy
Who sat the ukcat tests on the ukcat website??? Did you find it harder that the actual ukcat test on the day???

I did. To be honest, It's the same. The only thing that's easier in the real thing is QR. but everything else, is the same, if not slightly more difficult.
GCSEs: 4A*s 6As. Under-performed (was predicted 10A*s and set to achieve them :frown:)
Reply 1386
Original post by Shangy

Original post by iAre Teh Lejend
I did. To be honest, It's the same. The only thing that's easier in the real thing is QR. but everything else, is the same, if not slightly more difficult.

I found DA harder in the real thing, compared to mock tests and the practise books.
Reply 1387
Gcses:
Bio-a
Chem-a
Dt-a
Igcse maths-b
Physics-b
The rest were Bs except for a C in french(one off a B)

My A-level choices are:
Biology
Chemistry
Physics
Product Design

Also I will be getting a diploma from the aqa baccalaureate, which consists of:
An as in critical thinking
An EPQ
100+ hours of community service(or the like)

(The AQA Bacc gives me a diploma)

I've done some work experience already, watching my personal dentist perform root canal surgery, pulling a tooth out & fitting dentures. Also I've made somebody's retainer in an orthodontic surgery. I'm planning to do much more & I will be going to a few dentistry days lead by future wise if you know who they are.

Any feedback upon where I should be heading and if I should quit my social life & get A*s in Biology and Chemistry(because I actually love those subjects:tongue:) then I will

Thanks in advance

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by orange.bananna
You say that you now have 4A's and an A*, does that include chemistry a-level? As that will be required by all dental schools!

I would suggest e-mailing the uni's as well as calling to find out, so that you have something in writing :smile:

I don't thik you will need a reference, so wont have to worry about chasing it up.

As the person above said dentistry = dental surgery, no difference! Neither is better and they are equally hard to get into!

Thank you Thank you Thank you !!
Original post by deejay.
People with lower GCSEs than you have got into KCL, and you're UKCAT is average, it's not poor. Apply smartly and avoid King's College, Sheffield, Glasgow and Newcastle.

You don't meet the GCSEs for Bristol, Birmingham and Liverpool so avoid them because they want an A in GCSE Eng Lang.

You can apply to Barts, Peninsula (Plymouth), Dundee, Manchester, Leeds, Cardiff.

I only meet the entry requirements for 2 dental schools, so you're in a much better position than me. :yes:

Good luck. :borat:

Which uni's are you applying too, what's your ukcat score and academic grades if I may ask? Im in a similar situation
Original post by p.gingivalis
It's useless paying £175 for 1 day of ''hands-on'' work and personal statement/interview advice.

You can get hands-on experience in a real dental related setting for example a dental lab where you might have the opportunity to make a crown, denture block etc or a dental practice where you might be able to fill extracted teeth (for FREE).

Also with regards to the PS and interview advice, well you can get PS advice for FREE from TSR by current dental students and you can get the same plus interview advice from tutors or careers advisors ... not forgetting Google. :smile:

Just had a look at the organisers, not surprised it's by a dental surgery that carries out mainly private work. This is just another way for them to make money.

How would you go on about contacting them?
year 12 student
gcses: 9A*s
a levels no prediction yet (though i reckon i'd get 4 As at AS)

I work in a pharmacy, have dofe bronze and silver and currently doing gold
i have 2 weeks w/e booked in a dental practice.
i volunteer at a charity shop every sunday

what else can i do? I can't get any w/e at a hospital or orthodontists etc.
are my chances good?

thanks very much
you will more than likely get offers with that,, just make sure you get a decent ukcat score and u have a good statement an youll be grand,,
Original post by Makavelii
year 12 student

are my chances good?

thanks very much

Perhaps wait until you get your first set of AS results before you get your heart set on a certain career, but getting 4 A's would be a great start!

Your grades a long with your work experience would make your application very strong - with a good personal statement and great references there's no reason why you wouldn't get offers. Good luck!
Reply 1394
Hey guys, im thinking of sending off my application in a few days but im suddenly having serious doubts , my schools really **** and im one of the first to be applying to dentistry, i dont really feel like my applications strong enough :/
GCSE'S: - 3a*'s ( bio, humanities, drama)
4 A's ( english, english lang, chemistry, physics)
2 B'S (maths and history)
AS - 3A'S and 1B
A2 predictions: 2A*s and an A
Ukcat: 575 :|
Work experience: 2 weeks at GDP nhs and private, a day at an orthodontists and one week at a dental lab

Extra curricular: swimming, badminton, arts and craft, reading, ice-skating, dance, 3 months volunteering at cancer research every sunday and 1 month every day at barnardo's. In the gifted and talented team at school, took part in a national dance and drama competition, sports leadership award and peer mentoring.

Im thinking of applying to manchester sheffield, leeds and plymouth, :confused:
year 12 student

________________________________ ______________________________

are my chances good? We always hear stories of people who got all a*s at gcse and a level not getting in!

thanks very much
Reply 1396
Sounds good to me. Not as though there's anything particularly sub-standard about you, with grades like that :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hello people :smile:

I wonder if anyone is applying to Newcastle or have any information regarding UKCAT and maybe even work experience? :smile: should the test be really high, or does an avid result pass :?
I got 709 from UKCAT, 2 weeks GDP and 3 weeks private clinic shadowing. Would it do at least for interview? :redface:

Thanks
Reply 1398
:colondollar:Hi :biggrin:
Im in the same position as you. I know my chances are slim but i really want to study dentistry
My GCSE grades were:
chem - A
bio- A
history- A
eng lit - A
physics - B
eng lang - B
maths - B
maths 2- B ( Dual award maths)
business studies -B
french - C
citiznship- C
IT - distinction

AS levels:
chemistry
biology
physics
history
AQA bacc

Ive also done work experience in a dental practice and they have said i can do it whenever. Making a retainer must have been really fun (im easily pleased :colondollar:)
good luck with your AS levels
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1399
turkish A level :A*
biology Alevel: A*
chemistry A level : A
Maths A level : A
ICT A level : A

UKCAT : 630

what do you guys think about my chances? :/

Quick Reply

Latest