The Student Room Group

The "Am I Good Enough For Dentistry" Megathread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1580
I don't know, I will try my best but its so hard!

I can't think of any alternative degrees to apply for, any ideas?
Reply 1581
Guys I've got an issue, ever since I was a kid, I've always wanted to be a dentist and I was pretty confident that one day I would be. Now that I've received my GCSE results I'm starting to become doubtful, and I don't think I'm good enough to get into a Dental school, my GCSE results are as follows:
Maths:A
Aqa Further Maths(A-level Math Modules):B
Core Science: A (Chems A*+Biology A*+Physics A+Coursework at D)
Additional Science: A (Chems A*+Biology A+ Physics B+ Coursework at B)
English Lang: B
English Lit:B
Geography:A
French:B
Technology:C

These grades might not seem too bad however knowing that I will be competing with student that have straight A*s and single sciences(3 GCSEs) do I even stand a chance?... I'm starting sixth form this Friday, and will be doing A Level Maths,Biology,Chemistry and Geography, and I am prepared to work my socks in order to bag nice grades in fact I have already started recapping some of my GCSE stuff, so basically I was wondering if I should keep on pursuing my dream or give up and look into other careers seeming as there is so much competitiveness and hardly any places.

Thank you :biggrin:
Reply 1582
Not sure what to show for manual dexterity, I can do the finger coin flip thing but is that really the sort of thing uni's look for o_O. I just don't know how I'd show I have manual dexterity :/.
Original post by Blobar
Not sure what to show for manual dexterity, I can do the finger coin flip thing but is that really the sort of thing uni's look for o_O. I just don't know how I'd show I have manual dexterity :/.

Right, I am in no position to comment as I am still in first year of sixth form! However, instruments such as guitar and piano show manual dexterity as I have discovered also, sewing and knitting!! Just do a quick google and be inspired hehe
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Blobar

Do you have any hobbies such as art, model making etc?? They have to be real hobbies, not made up ones :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1585
Original post by Caribbeantwist
Do you have any hobbies such as art, model making etc?? They have to be real hobbies, not made up ones :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

What if I just don't have anything, will that really disadvantage me. Also for your personal statement, not sure how much I want to go on about my work experience and how much to talk about my other areas. Also do you need to give specific details of where you volunteered, don't want to waste words if I dont have to, I know you have to about your work experience but havent herad anything about volunteering.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Blobar
What if I just don't have anything, will that really disadvantage me. Also for your personal statement, not sure how much I want to go on about my work experience and how much to talk about my other areas. Also do you need to give specific details of where you volunteered, don't want to waste words if I dont have to, I know you have to about your work experience but havent herad anything about volunteering.

Well the main question they are going to ask is how do you know that you'll enjoy working with your hands on a really precise scales s you aren't really clumsy/get frustrated??? Like for instance myself I do a lot of jewellery making so I know through that I focus for ages with really small detail and have to manipulate in a really precise scale! Well I haven't really heard about giving specific details, mainly if it is private or NHS. I gave them enough details so they knew kind of what my role would be etc.......

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1587
When is the best time to start taking work experience. I'm a 16 year old who's just started sixth form. Should I start making calls now or wait for the summer holidays?
Reply 1588
Original post by Guled23
When is the best time to start taking work experience. I'm a 16 year old who's just started sixth form. Should I start making calls now or wait for the summer holidays?

I'd do it as soon as possible really, and leave your summer to do the ukcat. A lot of people find it hard to find placements and try to get it in a variety of settings e.g. gdp, lab, ortho, hospital. Also get some long term experience in a caring environment (care home, charity shop etc.) Hope this helps :smile:
I NEED URGENT URGENT HELP NOW NOW NOW!!!!!!!! HELPP MEE!!!!! my situation is stressing the crap out of me! I got bad AS results I got BCDD, I did a month of work experience in a dental surgery and I really need to get into dentistry I don't want this anymore I NEED this! should I apply for dentistry this year or just not apply at all and take a gap year or should I apply at 3 dentistry places and 2 biomed, or should I do 2 dentistry 2 biomed and one pharmacy at the London school of pharmacy (who do take dentistry personal statements) help me what should I doo!! I really am gunna work my ass of this year to get my As I know I can do it but I need strong advice ASAP!!!!
Original post by Blobar
In putting with this I got 747.5 AVG in UKCAT today.

VR 710
QR 780
AR 640
DA 860

Should I be ok to apply to Newcastle? My other options are Manchester which I know take into academic and non-academic things into account for pre-interview rank. QMUL which I find quite weird to read about, some say if you have a low UCAS tariff the UKCAT will come much more into play. Also what is up with Dundee, am I missing something 250-350 applicants, seems awfully small :s

Your stats seem fine for Newcastle, If anything I'd say that you would rank pretty highly on their 'to interview' list If you have a good personal statement. I had similar if not worse GCSEs and UKCAT than you and managed to get an interview in the first half :smile:
Reply 1591
Original post by JeevenSD
Your stats seem fine for Newcastle, If anything I'd say that you would rank pretty highly on their 'to interview' list If you have a good personal statement. I had similar if not worse GCSEs and UKCAT than you and managed to get an interview in the first half :smile:

You have reached the limit of how many posts you can rate today! Aww. Thanks for the advice/encouragement, Newcastle has become a definite option of mine, just waiting to see what I'm predicted, I know AAA will be my minimum prediction so I should be ok on that front. You never know though may get a straight up rejection :cool:
If anyone needs advice feel free to ask, starting dentistry this month :smile:
Reply 1593
hi! I have just completed the first half of my GCSE'S and have received 4 A*'s (Physics, Chemistry, German History, RE) 3 A's (Maths, English Language, Russian History) and 1 B (Biology). Overall I am very pleased with my results as I have met and mostly exceeded my target grades but I am a little disappointed with my B in biology. My teacher says that I can resit and easily achieve an A/A* and I still have another 2 exams to complete and coursework. Would these grades be ok for dentistry? I also want to take Biology, Chemistry, Physics and either Geography or English Language for A level would these be acceptable? :smile:
Original post by fatimabano
I NEED URGENT URGENT HELP NOW NOW NOW!!!!!!!! HELPP MEE!!!!! my situation is stressing the crap out of me! I got bad AS results I got BCDD, I did a month of work experience in a dental surgery and I really need to get into dentistry I don't want this anymore I NEED this! should I apply for dentistry this year or just not apply at all and take a gap year or should I apply at 3 dentistry places and 2 biomed, or should I do 2 dentistry 2 biomed and one pharmacy at the London school of pharmacy (who do take dentistry personal statements) help me what should I doo!! I really am gunna work my ass of this year to get my As I know I can do it but I need strong advice ASAP!!!!

In my view you shouldn't mix your applications for UCAS - as you know Dentistry is hugely competitive and if you are going to "go for it" then you need to go for 4 dental school choices to increase your chances of an interview.
Having said that your chances of securing an interview are lower than most because of your poor AS level results. You MUST be predicted AAA to even stand a chance - have you checked out what your grade predictions are? - if you haven't been predicted AAA then don't apply this time as academics must be there alongside the other attributes. You say to are going to work hard to get A's at A2 but remember it isn't just a case of working hard, A2 is a "step up".
My advice is a different route. For now I would apply for Biomed and draft personal statement to suit and hopefully you will have offers and a choice of Unis. Then work your socks off to secure those A's at A2. If you don't get the A's then go for dentistry via the Biomed route. If you do get the A's (and I so hope you do) then you can always withdraw, take a gap year and apply for dentistry next cycle. Applying with achieved grades will put you at a big advantage and you can also use this year to build on your application by doing more work experience and volunteering etc to have a really strong personal statement.
Good luck!
Hey I need some advice on this application would be a huge help!

At GCSE I achieved 7As and 5Bs
At A-Level I achieved 3As in Biology, Chemistry and Economics
At AS-Level I achieved a B in Maths
I took the UKCAT and scored 700 and Band 2 in SJT
I was wondering what my chances would be when applying to Barts? (Queen Marys) , Newcastle, Cardiff and Plymouth for Dentistry.
2 weeks of Work Experience done at both private and NHS dental practices
Currently on a gap year, did not apply at all last year.

Feedback is much appreciated !
Also I only have UCAS points of 410 from my 3As and AS level B, does that mean I won't get an interview at Queen Marys?
Hi I have got 662.5 average on my UKCAT with Band 3 situational judgement, but I have a strong academic profile, I'm just wondering is it worth me applying to Sheffield or Kings? Because I've heard they want a high UKCAT?
Reply 1598
Original post by JeevenSD

BTW what do you mean by first half, not quite sure on their whole interview process and when did you apply and what exactly were your stats :smile:
Reply 1599
Original post by textbookloser
If anyone needs advice feel free to ask, starting dentistry this month :smile:

Oh congrats! Where are you doing it? Do you mind sharing your stats with us including UKCAT. What did you talk most about in your personal statement? Sorry for all the questions.

Quick Reply

Latest