The Student Room Group

The "Am I Good Enough For Dentistry" Megathread

Scroll to see replies

Hi
I got my AS results recently and they were really bad CDEU ( I admit I didnt revise as much as I should of)...but the problem is I really want to apply for dentistry and this is my dream proffession. I am thinking of resitting individual bio and chem modules to improve my as grades and I have dropped maths ( U) and I am carrying on with A2 with chem,bio and psychology. I am afraid my teachers wown't predict me AAA.
My 2 question s are:
1. Has anyone studying dentistry now or will do in september been predicted lower than 3 A and still got offers from university.
2. Applying for dentistry at Manchester, I need a B at AS and I dont have that....would a B count in an AS that I have resat in A2 and improved the grade of? and if not will it be a risk to apply for manchester. Has anyone been through the exact situation and got accepted?

Please any feedback, advise or help will be appreciated
Thanks
Hey guys, I want to apply for dentistry too!

Here goes:

GCSE's: 1 A* in maths, 9 A's, 2 B's (btec) and C (P.E. short course)
AS results: A (biology) B (chemistry) A (maths) A (psychology - dropping) C (further maths - dropping) - I'm getting a remark in chemistry because I was 6 ums off an A. Its worth a try, you never know...
A2 prediction: according to my head of year, in the same order above, i'm likely to be predicted with AAA* or A*AA* hopefully

Booked my UKCAT, so waiting for that.

Work experience:
2 weeks GDP & 1 week private
Trying to get a day at a maxillofacial surgery and/or orthodontics ward but the hassle of filling forms and contacting hospitals is getting on my nerves :colonhash:
Volunteering:
Working at a nursing home on Sundays for 7 weeks
Weekly bike mechanic at a community workshop (starting September)
Manual dexterity:
Fixing bikes and jewellery making (spare time)
EC:
Creative writing, poetry, spoken word (not important but might put this on my personal statement since I have evidence)

so yeah, am I good enough for dentistry?

Thanks in advance :smile:
Reply 1782
gcse- all A*

AS Level
english A
Geography A (Predicted A*)
Biology B (Predicted A)
Maths B (dropping)
Chemistry C (predicted A)

What are my chances? i go to a crap state school so i don't really have a lot of support or help... gonna sit ukcat soon
(edited 9 years ago)
Apply but check the entry requirements for universities that are okay with having a B for the dropped AS subject. Other than that make sure you get a good UKCAT score and having plenty of work experience for your application. You should be fine!
are my gcse grades enough fr dentistry?

2 A*s 6 As 2 Bs?

thanks in advance
Original post by monisj1
are my gcse grades enough fr dentistry?

2 A*s 6 As 2 Bs?

thanks in advance

Yes, however if either of your B's are in English or Maths then you may need to check out exact requirements because some dental schools require A/A* at GCSE in these subjects. Dentistry is fiercely competitive so my advice for the coming year is to work hard to secure AAAA at AS level and try and do as much work experience as you can; also volunteering etc to strengthen your application.
Original post by lois griffin
Yes, however if either of your B's are in English or Maths then you may need to check out exact requirements because some dental schools require A/A* at GCSE in these subjects. Dentistry is fiercely competitive so my advice for the coming year is to work hard to secure AAAA at AS level and try and do as much work experience as you can; also volunteering etc to strengthen your application.

I got A in maths but B in eng lang i might be resitting to get an A tho
Reply 1787
Would definitely recommend resitting English Language. More and more dental schools require an A. Getting a B in it has almost halved my options; I can't apply to Bristol, Birmingham, Liverpool etc (I've just done AS)
Reply 1788
Original post by monisj1
I got A in maths but B in eng lang i might be resitting to get an A tho

Would definitely recommend resitting English Language. More and more dental schools require an A. Getting a B in it has almost halved my options; I can't apply to Bristol, Birmingham, Liverpool etc (I've just done AS)
Original post by mmp97

So which dental schools you applying for and what are your stats?

Thanks in advance
Reply 1790
Original post by mmp97

When resitting, does the first grade matter any longer? Do universities take the second grade into account or only the first (the ones that check GCSEs, which a majority do)?
Reply 1791
I recently took my BCP 1,2&3 (Core Science) in June, got my results back and am not too pleased since I'd like to take on Dentistry. I got a B grade overall. C for Chemistry and Physics (literally like a couple marks off a B), and a B for Biology (coursework was an A, so pushed my grade up).
I was wondering if next year I can get the best possible UMS points in the exams and my coursework and that would at least average my grades up to, hopefully, an A - would the A be decent?
Also, bc many people don't take OCR 21ST CENTURY, I haven't gotten many answers from the question of how my science GCSEs will be submitted back? Will it be classed as one whole GCSE or split into the three, Physics, Biology and Chemistry?
E.g, Science Core - grade B.
Or, Physics - grade C. Chemistry - grade C etc????????
Bc if its classed as Science Core, Additional Science and Triple Science, then I cant do anything about the B I just got and that would put me at a disadvantage when applying for medical/dentistry schools, since dentistry is getting more and more competitive by the year, and so universities checking GCSEs and comparing them will probably be essential. ? ah idk
Reply 1792
Original post by monisj1
So which dental schools you applying for and what are your stats?

Thanks in advance

At the moment: QMC, Plymouth, Newcastle and Manchester/KCL.
This depends a lot on my UKCAT score, which I'm doing on Wednesday so I'll know for sure after then

Got 6A*s, 6As and 2Bs at GCSE and 4As at AS

Done the necessary work experience and voluntary work too
Reply 1793
Original post by obaeto
When resitting, does the first grade matter any longer? Do universities take the second grade into account or only the first (the ones that check GCSEs, which a majority do)?

I don't think GCSE resits are looked into for dentistry. As far as I'm aware, you only submit your most recent grade.

Sorry, I don't know too much about this :frown:
(edited 9 years ago)
You guys need to relax!

So many GCSE students on here already stressing out. Let me put your mind at ease.

I got 1A* 5A 4B 1C. B in English.

I applied to Newcastle, Manchester, Bart's, Plymouth and managed 3 interviews and an offer at Plymouth. Even if you didn't do aswell as you wanted in your GCSEs there are plenty of ways to make up for it and right now it's just focusing on your AS and getting the best you can. After that it will be your UKCAT which can quite often be the make or break of your application - I got 747.5 and it really helped me out.

For those doing the UKCAT soon good luck and if you need any help on the admission process feel free to PM me.
Original post by Blobar
You guys need to relax!

So many GCSE students on here already stressing out. Let me put your mind at ease.

I got 1A* 5A 4B 1C. B in English.

I applied to Newcastle, Manchester, Bart's, Plymouth and managed 3 interviews and an offer at Plymouth. Even if you didn't do aswell as you wanted in your GCSEs there are plenty of ways to make up for it and right now it's just focusing on your AS and getting the best you can. After that it will be your UKCAT which can quite often be the make or break of your application - I got 747.5 and it really helped me out.

For those doing the UKCAT soon good luck and if you need any help on the admission process feel free to PM me.

Is the UKCAT hard?
Original post by Ak786454
Hello!!! I only just got my GCSE results and I'm soo upsett, I really didn't predict these grades right - I said on all the forums that I would get 5 A's, 3B's, and 2 C's. But in fact I got ****ing worse!!! I only got 1A, 8B's, 1C, and 1D*... I'm soo devastated!! I really am, I feel as if my dreams are really UN-reachable!! I just need support!! I don't think I have a chance now do I? I feel soo stressed and depressed since results day!! :'( Dentistry means the world to me! I feel trapped now and as if I can't achieve my dreams - it feels as if I'm in a little box where life is seems meaningless to me!!! I'm so upset of myself and wish I revised soo much more!!! I just need some support - any help will be greatly appreciated! My GCSE results was supposed to be a motivation to me for ALevels but what kind of motivation is this - all those B's seem like F's to me! I wasted a whole year - I can't believe it!!! Please help - I could just go on and on to explain my feelings, but maybe I should just stop, someone out there please can you help me? Please? I just need soo much help right now! My dreams are just going and fading and it seems as if it's just impossible for me to reach...

And counting that you got soo much more A's and A*'s than me, I would never get accepted will I?

I am so sorry that you are disappointed with your results and feel so desolate.
There's no easy way to say it but unfortunately your GCSE's are not good enough and I think that your GCSE grades only meet the minimum requirements for a couple of dental schools. Don't beat yourself up too much because even if you had achieved the grades you had hoped for, you would have struggled because dentistry is so competitive.
You say that you dream of being a dentist. What aspects of the career really appealed to you? If it is the practical aspect you could consider dental hygiene and therapy. Dental therapists carry out procedures such as simple fillings and extractions. I think the grade requirements are about BBB at A2, you would need to check out the GCSE requirements.
Best thing now is try and be positive about the future.I assume that you hope to go to university so work your socks off for your AS levels - good results really will strengthen your uni application and show your commitment and determination to turn around GCSE disappointment (and hopefully get you a good academic reference for UCAS). Dentistry requires AAA at A2 including biology and chemistry. If you are not going to pursue dentistry then consider your subject choices for A2 carefully - choose the subjects you enjoy and think you will perform well at.
Remember you are not alone. 1000's of students out there will feel disappointed with their results. When feeling low, talk to family and friends - also talk to teachers and hopefully they will give you practical advice regarding your options.
Original post by monisj1
Is the UKCAT hard?

I'd be lying if I said no, hence why it's such a good discriminator.
Best of luck. All you can do now is try your best at AS.
(edited 9 years ago)
I got 2A*s, 7As and a B.
Am I under average?

Quick Reply

Latest