The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
AccioNitwit
Pahaha, that's awesome :smile: One of ours has a bad limp and it's really distracting - I keep finding myself imagining her doing gymnastcs :/

haha. Reminds me of the sketch in the armstrong and miller show where the pupils are all in the exam hall doing an exam, and the invigilators are all doing human pyramids and gymnastics behind them :P it was hilarious, but i can't find a youtube video.
Reply 61
NaturalDisaster
Ok, so basically, Highers are really hard, a lot harder than Standard Grade. I wish my school did more Int 2s for stuff. Oh well. The alcohol stuff sounds boring, but the rest sounds fairly awesome. Please tell me you get to do loads of practical!

Well, it's not really more hard, just very tricky. And you only do 9 PPAs (practical) throughout the course. There's a really cool ester one that everyone enjoys though :biggrin:
LuhLah
Well, it's not really more hard, just very tricky. And you only do 9 PPAs (practical) throughout the course. There's a really cool ester one that everyone enjoys though :biggrin:

Yeah, but you sound smart. I'll probably think they're difficult, but I'm not going to get pessimistic yet. At least there's some practical in it...is there loads of note taking? I can handle that. I'll get bored listening to long talks from the teacher though. My brain can't focus unless it's written down. It wanders off to far-off lands where Chemistry and all the other subjects can't follow.
Reply 63
NaturalDisaster
Yeah, but you sound smart. I'll probably think they're difficult, but I'm not going to get pessimistic yet. At least there's some practical in it...is there loads of note taking? I can handle that. I'll get bored listening to long talks from the teacher though. My brain can't focus unless it's written down. It wanders off to far-off lands where Chemistry and all the other subjects can't follow.

It depends on the way how your school teaches it. We took some notes, other times we just listened or we had to condense/copy out stuff and do questions. I really, really recommend you get a hold of "Higher Chemistry SEM Revision Notes and Questions" :yep: They [the PAAs] aren't hard either, but you need to write up a mini-lab report after each one like you would do at uni.

I found the best way to keep concentrated would be to analyse the facts that we got and see how they relate to real life :dontknow:

Remember, if you're ever struggling, you can come here for support :yep:
LuhLah
It depends on the way how your school teaches it. We took some notes, other times we just listened or we had to condense/copy out stuff and do questions. I really, really recommend you get a hold of "Higher Chemistry SEM Revision Notes and Questions" :yep: They [the PAAs] aren't hard either, but you need to write up a mini-lab report after each one like you would do at uni.

I found the best way to keep concentrated would be to analyse the facts that we got and see how they relate to real life :dontknow:

Remember, if you're ever struggling, you can come here for support :yep:

Thanks for the advice. I'll remember that. Chemistry's my best subject at the moment, not sure if it'll be the same next year. I mean, English was my best subject for ten years...got a new english teacher and everything went wrong. :L
Reply 65
ces8000
This was the question on the typhoon fighter jet
----------------------------------------

The question that I got a bit confused with in the credit paper is the one when it asked you: "what is the type of bondingis present in Titanium Chloride?..... it goes on to say that the compound does not conduct electricity when liquid.
Now, my understanding is that a compound that doesnt conduct when liquid is a covalent one......but to be covalent the bonding must be between two non-metals and in this case Titanium Clordide it was between a metal and a non metal
The answer i came to was that the compound must be an ionic crystal lattice (which i believe donot conduct becaue, both elements present in them, have equal positive and negative charges).

Any opinions guys??

(P.S. if anyone has a copy of the credit paper and is able to upload it... please do so.)

haha, i total failed at that one, i said it was covalent bonding which i know cant be right. that is now three questions i know i have got wrong so far :mad:
Reply 66
NaturalDisaster
Ok, so basically, Highers are really hard, a lot harder than Standard Grade. I wish my school did more Int 2s for stuff. Oh well. The alcohol stuff sounds boring, but the rest sounds fairly awesome. Please tell me you get to do loads of practical!

There are 9 set experiments called Prescribed Practical Activites or PPAs for short. They ask questions about a few of them in the exam that you can't really do without having done (or at least witnessed) the PPAs being done, for example they can ask for a source of error and how to prevent it, a colour change, or safety precautions you might need to take.
Reply 67
C274
There are 9 set experiments called Prescribed Practical Activites or PPAs for short. They ask questions about a few of them in the exam that you can't really do without having done (or at least witnessed) the PPAs being done, for example they can ask for a source of error and how to prevent it, a colour change, or safety precautions you might need to take.

Why is the enthalpy of combustion of ethanol value obtained from the experiment different than the value in the databook? :sexface:
ces8000
This was the question on the typhoon fighter jet
----------------------------------------

The question that I got a bit confused with in the credit paper is the one when it asked you: "what is the type of bondingis present in Titanium Chloride?..... it goes on to say that the compound does not conduct electricity when liquid.
Now, my understanding is that a compound that doesnt conduct when liquid is a covalent one......but to be covalent the bonding must be between two non-metals and in this case Titanium Clordide it was between a metal and a non metal
The answer i came to was that the compound must be an ionic crystal lattice (which i believe donot conduct becaue, both elements present in them, have equal positive and negative charges).

Any opinions guys??

(P.S. if anyone has a copy of the credit paper and is able to upload it... please do so.)

i put covalent because i did a similar question in a class test that involved titanium-even though titanium was involved the answer was covalent bonding (i was like wtf?!)

it's also a liquid at room temperature so i thought there must be weak bonding or something

not absolutely sure though
did anyone get the question about the boiling point of the hydrocarbony thing in credit? i got 36 or round about because the alkane with the closest RAM was pentane and its bp is like 36 i think (whatever its bp is, that's what i put) it seems like too much work just for 1 mark so i think i'm way off.

what did everyone else get?
Reply 70
Nat the rat
i put covalent because i did a similar question in a class test that involved titanium-even though titanium was involved the answer was covalent bonding (i was like wtf?!)

it's also a liquid at room temperature so i thought there must be weak bonding or something

not absolutely sure though

It's made up of a metal and a halide so no covalent bonding. It's an easy mistake to make though.
Reply 71
it was covalent because it didn't conduct, and because it had low mp / bps. That's what i put :smile:
Reply 72
ces8000

Any opinions guys??

i have the paper but i really cba scanning it (26 pages or something), besides is that allowed? - i wouldn't wanna risk it.

What is the question? ill type it up...
Reply 73
LuhLah
Why is the enthalpy of combustion of ethanol value obtained from the experiment different than the value in the databook? :sexface:

Is precisely the PPA I was thinking of :colone:
covalent molecular :wink:
Because if it was ionic, then it would definitely have conducted when in a molten or solution state :wink:
ProudScottish
Standard Grade Chemistry....... I remember that LOL! I failed everything in Chemistry and even the second prelim which was a week before the final exam. But in the end, I got a 2 in the final exam which I couldn't be believe but I had studied all night so I just didn't fail.

Was my favourite question in the exam today:

"What is needed for metal to corrode/rust?

---------- and ----------"

Water and Oxygen :wink:
Nat the rat
did anyone get the question about the boiling point of the hydrocarbony thing in credit? i got 36 or round about because the alkane with the closest RAM was pentane and its bp is like 36 i think (whatever its bp is, that's what i put) it seems like too much work just for 1 mark so i think i'm way off.

Sorry, can't remember that one.. ;(:eek3:
Nat the rat

I got 36 aswell :smile: I thought it was too much work though too, but I think it makes more sense if it's 36. I just hope it is now :s-smilie:
AccioNitwit
I got 36 aswell :smile: I thought it was too much work though too, but I think it makes more sense if it's 36. I just hope it is now :s-smilie:

What question was that?:eek3:

Latest

Trending

Trending