The Student Room Group

Geography help please!

This is part of the Geography Syllabus, Option 3.10 Globalization:

"Use a study of Antarctica as an example of how the extension of tourism towards increasingly exotic locations on rhe global periphery can cause conflicts:

We haven't done this in class. Could anyone who has notes on this give me a hand? It's kind of urgent, since we have about 5 days till the exam.

Thanks, everlasting gratitude and +rep to anyone who can help me!

Also: Making up case studies. Good or bad idea? The examiner can check, but not everything can be found on the internet. Do they have the time to check with friends, on the phone, in books etc. if they have to mark hundreds of papers?
fRESHnuts
This is part of the Geography Syllabus, Option 3.10 Globalization:

"Use a study of Antarctica as an example of how the extension of tourism towards increasingly exotic locations on rhe global periphery can cause conflicts:

We haven't done this in class. Could anyone who has notes on this give me a hand? It's kind of urgent, since we have about 5 days till the exam.

Thanks, everlasting gratitude and +rep to anyone who can help me!

Also: Making up case studies. Good or bad idea? The examiner can check, but not everything can be found on the internet. Do they have the time to check with friends, on the phone, in books etc. if they have to mark hundreds of papers?

Maybe you'll find this helpful:smile:
http://cac-ib-geography.wikispaces.com/Antarctica

and as for your second part;that's called Plagiarism and the examiners have a lot of Plagiarism softwares and websites so you better not take a risk and do it on your own~Since 2006, Edexcel has been using new software to identify any potential cases of plagiarism.

(Use free software as described on www.plagiarismdetect.com, www.turnitin.com,
www.plagiarism.com, www.wordchecksystems.com or www.canexus.com/eve/index.shtml.)
Reply 2
jonathan3909
Maybe you'll find this helpful:smile:
http://cac-ib-geography.wikispaces.com/Antarctica

and as for your second part;that's called Plagiarism and the examiners have a lot of Plagiarism softwares and websites so you better not take a risk and do it on your own~Since 2006, Edexcel has been using new software to identify any potential cases of plagiarism.

(Use free software as described on www.plagiarismdetect.com, www.turnitin.com,
www.plagiarism.com, www.wordchecksystems.com or www.canexus.com/eve/index.shtml.)

I thought plagerism was just copying someone else's work - not making up a case study :s-smilie:
tcdc09
I thought plagerism was just copying someone else's work - not making up a case study :s-smilie:

What the OP said was she wanted to copy someone else's work in to her case study which is plagerism~
Reply 4
I think she wanted to "extend the truth of a case study" to fit the question.
I'm an International student from the Philippines.
I know many rural case studies that fit almost all the syllabus points.
Just because they "are not well known" or haven't been hit by the media, doesn't mean they do not exist.

My class had a discussion about this before we went on study break.
I'll probably bend the truth, and if they catch me, i wont receive full credit, but if they don't,well then win win. As for plagerism? I don't think that that is the right term.

Though I'll only do this as a last resort considering my mock was a 6 : D
Reply 5
jonathan3909
What the OP said was she wanted to copy someone else's work in to her case study which is plagerism~

Thanks for the Antarctica stuff. It was the kind of thing I was looking for. +rep:smile:

But yeah, tcdc and savag are right. I don't intend to copy work, but make up fake facts/place names/figures etc. when answering a case study question.

E.G. if the question is "Write about the steps taken to make tourism more sustainable in an LEDC tourist resort of your choice", I'll make up a fictional town and fictional sustainable tourism initiatives.
fRESHnuts
If the question is "Write about the steps taken to make tourism more sustainable in an LEDC tourist resort of your choice", I'll make up a fictional town and fictional sustainable tourism initiatives.

You could use Kenya, and the way that tourism has impacted on the cultural way of life of the tribespeople there, e.g. how they are kept out of wildlife preserves where they used to migrate through, and how they can now earn money as entertainers at hotels. If you've studied it that is.
well, syllabus do specify the case of Antarctica, simply because it is one of the most well known 'periphery conflicting' region in terms of tourism.

conclusion: look up your syllabus!

Latest

Trending

Trending