The Student Room Group

Is law a suitable career for me?

Basically I am in Year 12 and am starting to think about University courses. It has always been my ambition to become a solicitor and I definately have the determination to become one. I am predicted AAB at A level which is relatively good however I am concerned that as Law is such a competitive subject to study at university that it may be difficult to get a univeristy place.

Could you please tell me any ways of gaining advantages when applying to universities? e.g. work experience to put onto my personal statement

Also what universities considering my grades would be the best? I am thinking about Reading university - are there good job prospects for Law students there?

I would appreciate any relevant information thanks
Reply 1
For work experience, you could help in the Citizens Advice Bureau, Law Clinics, or the Courts.
In a crown court, you can help in the office as a clerk, or you can assist judges.

Also, you could try and get a job in a local solicitors office, i.e. as a clerk/telephonist/typist, because then you can expeirience first hand the working day of a solicitor.

You mentioned that you would like to become a solicitor, but you could also do mini-pupillages at a barrister's chambers aswell.
Reply 2
greenwattseee
Basically I am in Year 12 and am starting to think about University courses. It has always been my ambition to become a solicitor and I definitely have the determination to become one. I am predicted AAB at A level which is relatively good however I am concerned that as Law is such a competitive subject to study at university that it may be difficult to get a univeristy place.

Could you please tell me any ways of gaining advantages when applying to universities? e.g. work experience to put onto my personal statement

Also what universities considering my grades would be the best? I am thinking about Reading university - are there good job prospects for Law students there?

I would appreciate any relevant information thanks

I couldn't possibly say whether law is a 'suitable' career for you, but you could certainly get a place at a relatively good university for law. Unfortunately your B a-level prediction will limit you somewhat with the 'top' universities for law (e.g Oxbridge LSE, UCL, KCL, Nottingham, Bristol, Warwick, Durham etc) as they all generally require AAA at a-level. I have actually heard of someone who was given an offer of AAB for Nottingham for law this year but that is by no means a normal Nottingham offer!! Even some uni's in a slightly lower tier (QMUL for definite) are giving offers of AAA this year.

Don't be put off though, there are some good universities for law that have given out AAB offers this year, as you mention Reading is one of them along with Sussex, Liverpool, Kent and Southampton. These are all respected law schools.

Also can I ask, what subjects are you taking at A-level because that will almost certainly play a part in your application. You mention you want to be a solicitor, you do know that a law undergraduate degree is not the only way to get into law? Apparently around half of all students with training contracts this year did other non-law "academic" undergrad degrees (eg politics, history, english) and then completed the GDL which is pretty much just a conversion course in law and only takes one extra year. Doing a law degree often gives people little advantage over those doing a non-law degree as grades and EC's are equally as important as the uni you go to. Just something to consider.

Good luck x
lawbird
Apparently around half of all students with training contracts this year did other non-law "academic" undergrad degrees (eg politics, history, english) and then completed the GDL which is pretty much just a conversion course in law and only takes one extra year.

Don't forget that the GDL costs about £6k, and if you choose the non-law degree route you're looking at:

£10k degree + £6k GDl = £9k LPC.

So you have to think about your long term finance choices if you look at this option.
Reply 4
Thank you I am continuing with Biology, History and Psychology. Are universities such as Reading, Sussex hard to get into i.e. do a lot of people apply for Law courses. Can you think of any thing else that would give me an advantage above other candidates? Thanks
greenwattseee
Thank you I am continuing with Biology, History and Psychology. Are universities such as Reading, Sussex hard to get into i.e. do a lot of people apply for Law courses. Can you think of any thing else that would give me an advantage above other candidates? Thanks

Not tooo sure about Psychology - by that I mean its not as good as your other two choices, but I wouldn't sweat over it either.
I'd give a book on law a read too, so you sound more sure in your decision to study the subject. Try this one - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Legal-Skills-Emily-Finch/dp/0199554404/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1272718418&sr=8-1

Think about the skills needed in a law degree - time management, analytical skills, etc and think about examples of these to talk about in your PS.
Also talk about any hobbies or groups you are a part of - show that you've been an active person so it shows you would get involved in university life, eg debate groups in the future.

Visit your local courts, and send your CV to local solicitors for a bit of work experience.

Most of all, I'd just really try to push that B to an A if possible. Your academics are more important than work ex when applying to uni.

Latest

Trending

Trending